DSD playback on the computer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Grant, Jan 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

Let me understand this: in order for me to play DSD files on my computer, I have to download an update to my sound hardware? If I do not have any DSD update to my soundcard, I am shyit out of luck, right? Or do I just need to update the playback software like Foobar 2000?

I notice HD Tracks only sells the DSD of Boston's first album now. I'd like to try it out.

2. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Just google and download the foobar SACD playback component. It's free and will allow you to play back DSD files by converting them to PCM on the fly. To play back DSD without converting to PCM you would need a DSD-capable DAC. About the cheapest decent one around is about $150.

3. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

You can play back DSD files in Foobar2000 using the SACD decoder plug-in. The plug-in is no longer on the listed components tab on the Foobar2000 website. Just use your favourite search engine to search for Foobar2000 SACD plugin or similar and off you go. Works for both stereo and multichannel playback.

4. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

You can also use foobar worth the SACD component to convert the files to hirez PCM for playback elsewhere. I recommend 24-bit 88kHz with the low-pass filter in the foobar SACD component set to 30kHz to avoid the band of noise from shaping that ends up in the 40k plus frequencies if you try to convert to 176kHz files.

5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

"worth" was supposed to be "with" in that last message. The results of writing with my phono at 6am and not awake enough to see the autocorrect mangling! :)

6. Grant

Thanks. What I read so for on the 'net assumes that the user will play the files from a server to standalone stereo hardware, and without on-the-fly conversion to PCM.

7. Grant

Problem: the SACD dlls are now installed, but do not show up in the available DSPs. What am I missing?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's not a DSP, look into 'Preferences/Components'. It should appear there.

Then select the values you want in 'Preferences/Tools/SACD'.

Grant likes this.
  9. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

That can work if one has the appropriate hardware. For instance, my Onkyo receiver supports DSD playback through HDMI or from USB devices (but it's limited to stereo for USB). I can also stream stereo DSD to both my receiver and my Oppo BDP-103 via DLNA but again only stereo works. I can also play back multichannel DSD to my receiver from my Onkyo either from SACD disc or from a USB device plugged into the Onkyo. I've tried A-Bing "pure" DSD and PCM conversions on my system and any difference I may hear is probably due to expectation bias and level differences. For example, I thought I heard a difference with direct to DSD playback but it was initially louder than the PCM conversion. Once I matched levels, I no longer heard the difference. Still, I plan to keep the DSD files (actually the files have the extension DSF) just because I can play them back without problems and they're in their "purist" format. There may or may not be an advantage. Plus, it's not clear whether my Onkyo is converting the DSD directly to analog without first converting to PCM. As with so much on here, it's all about the mastering (and I know some folks hate this assertion). I like these files because their mastering is better and I'm happy to have them in the best format possible. Of course it sucks that some of the SACDs I own either used the existing CD remaster converted to DSD for the stereo tracks (Moody Blues) or did transfers of the original stereo masters but with too much limiting/brickwalling (Elton John). It is interesting to listen to downmixes of the 5.1 versions.

The whole DSD topic is on my mind these days as I just discovered the ability to rip my SACD collection with my Oppo thanks to the thread over at ComputerAudiophile.com that was mentioned here recently. So I.ve been able to back up all my SACDs with bit-perfect copies. I've also been ripping my blu-ray audio and DVD-As as well. I intend to store all these hi-rez files on a portable USB hard disk I plug into the rear port on my Oppo and use it for playback without any wear and tear on the transport system! I also have them on my PC for playback or conversion as well.

Tommy SB and Grant like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.