DSD........still unclear how you can play and stream this

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by [email protected], Oct 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

RN402D. USB input on front. Limited in that it only copes with FAT or FAT32 format. Happy with a USB stick or HDD with external PSU.

2. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Can it play dsd from hdd via front port and if so, how do you browse the hdd content on a mobile device, is there any good app for that?

3. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Yes, but the HDD may need to have an external PSU, and it has to be formatted in FAT or FAT32 (Windows won’t format a partition larger than 32GB in FAT32 so you would need third party software or another OS for a larger drive; I used a Mac) .I tried ExFAT, and it didn’t work. Browsing; the MusicCast app works quite nicely.

Edit: A Sandisk 128GB flash drive formatted in FAT32 worked for my DSD files in DSF format, though not in gapless.

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes. Ripped two Pink Floyd today to DFF, and they play gapless. Thanks for the tip.
    What else is out there? I think "Amused to Death " needs to be gapless, some Moody blues if I am not mistaken.
    I only need it for multichannel. For stereo I use Sony HAP-Z1ES which plays everything gapless.
    Oppo seems to be able to handle all Multi-ch files. I don't know another player that can do it. One minor hurdle remains. It is off topic here, but I will mention it anyway : it doesn't play 7.1 flac that I ripped from 3D Kraftwerk. Not a biggie, I have the disc anyway.

EddieVanHalen likes this.
  5. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

The Sony UBP X-800 UHD BD player plays stereo and multichannel DSD files, and also 5.1 Flac but I haven't tried with 7.1 Flac. The Sony UBPX-800 plays almost everything you feed it.

formu_la likes this.
  6. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Ok folks, let's try this...I'm looking for a dsd capable device that would let me plug in my hdd, browse its content wireless with a smart phone/tablet and play the files thru my dsd dac. Only one that comes to mind is Auralic Aries Mini. Any others?

7. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

An Oppo 103 with a Vanity HD Card inside will do all of that, and can send the DSD as DoP to your DAC through its SP/DIF output. The only question is whether your particular DSD DAC is able to decode a DoP signal via its SP/DIF input.

8. I find that DSD sounds better.

9. Yes, Oppo Sonica DAC. Oppo BDP-203 or 205. If you want to use your own DSD DAC, the Sonore MicroRendu is another choice.

FYI, I have both the Auralic Aries Mini (feeding into an Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC) and the Oppo Sonica DAC. If you have any questions about the operation of either, or their iOS interfaces (Lightning DS and Sonica app, respectively). fire away.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  10. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Cool. Generally I'm interested in using my own dac more than being fixed to a single choice as the Oppos.
    What would be a better choice for own dac use: Aries Mini or Micro Rendu?
    Does / how Aries Mini affect the sound if used with external dac?
    How's the Aries Mini onboard dac compared to Oppo Sonica dac?
    All questions imply dsd files use.

11. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Just realized that you can't plug the hdd directly to the Micro Rendu. Am I right?

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

question for y'all - if you download a .iso file from Pentatone for instance, should that play the same as an SACD from your drive or would you have to use iso2dsd to get it to play gapless? There is one coming out at the beginning of November that I SIMPLY MUST have!!

13. TarnishedEars

Older Oppos with thoroughly out-of-date firmewares could play SACD ISO files which had been written to a DVD-R. But the days of undocument ISO support are long gone. So you must convert it to DSD files to get it to play from most newer Oppos now.

14. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is there raspi platform for playing dsd?

15. I am pretty sure you can. If not, you can play from a NAS.

16. Another option you can explore is installing Roon Core on a QNAP or Synology NAS, attaching the NAS to your USB DAC, and using the iOS Roon client on an iPad or iPhone (or iPod Touch).

17. It is very easy to convert SACD ISO to DFF and/or DSF files.

18. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

yes and if I do so I can set up the cue file and gapless playback so it's all good. I would rather have DSD than 96/24 FLAC based on my experience so I will get the .iso and set it up.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  19. TarnishedEars

True. However, unless I'm mistaken, the question was asking whether it is necessary to convert ISOs or not, rather than how easy it is.

20. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

that's right that's what I asked but all the info is helpful. I'd SO much rather have the DSD than the 96/24 FLAC so I'll buy the .iso and of course I will first see if it just plays and if it doesn't I will build the DFF file. second Prokofiev in surround on Pentatone, in case you're wondering...

Billy Budapest likes this.
  21. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Don't see how, it only has ethernet in, no usb in. How playing from nas works?

22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

NAS is connected to the network.

23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Directly to Micro rendu or I need a router that would communicate both MR and NAS?

24. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Aren't they both already connected to your LAN? If not, a switch will probably be sufficient.

25. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Another question here - is Philips DSDIFF the same thing as DFF and what is DSDIFF Edit Master? I'm using iso2dsd now and I made DSF of an ISO file but that is not gapless on the Oppo (not a horrible tragedy as the piece does have breaks although I'd like one of them to be shorter and flow from the previous movement) - so I'd like to try to figure out how to make the DFF. The options don't include that but they do include Philips DSDIFF and DSDIFF Edit Master. I read the thread again and everyone talks about making a cue file but I'm not sure exactly how to do that either. I checked "cue sheet" but nothing seemed to happen when I made DSF anyway. Talk to me like I'm stupid...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.