DTS sound drop-out

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mark renard, Feb 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member Thread Starter

I recently purchased the Allman Bros. Live at the Beacon DVD. After the song Melissa, there is a 1/2 second drop out of sound before the next song. This only occurs on the DTS track and it is not the layer change, as that occurs earlier on the disk. Is this a mastering problem or is it intentional??

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Most likely, your decoder found where the wav signal/algorithm had an error, and stopped decoding. So it may be a mastering error (or a problem in authoring the stream).

If the stream is broken for any length of time (or if there's an error) the DTS decoder might bail for a 1/2 second before the signal comes right back when it's right again.

The only way you would know is to rip the DVD down to the HD and look at the DTS stream as a WAV file. I don't suggest this, but for the insanely curious, if there's a pause in the stream, then that's why.

Intentional? No. Sometimes it happens, and there's also some DTS decoders that don't bail as quickly during an error.

DTS streams have to be perfect in order to be executed correctly. The decoding is a black/white concept. Bad signal=no signal.

3. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member Thread Starter

thanks for the info!

4. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I have the same problem when listening to the dts tracks on the REM "Greatest Hits" DVD-A, except it happens sporadically throughout the disc. Probably a manufacturing defect that I will replace one of these days.

5. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Must be a mastering error.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It can be the player too. It really depends what's at fault, but in most cases, it's the stream being broken, and the decoder will "bail" for the ammount of time it takes to catch the rest of the vaild stream.

So even if the stream is constant, if it's numerically wrong, you get a dropout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.