DTS vs. 5.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by peter, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member Thread Starter

I am new to multi-channel. I have an APEX AD-600A DVD player, which I bought for its multi-region DVD capability.

Will this unit play DVD-A discs, such as Neil Young's Harvest?

Will it play them in DTS, 5.1 or 2-channel? The Neil Young disc says on the back that there are four (I think) different mixes on the disc.

Help!

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It will play the disc in 5.1 and stereo. It won't do dvd-audio for you though.

3. GabeG

GabeG New Member

It will play the 5.1 DD and DTS tracks.

4. peter

John:

So what's the difference between 5.1 DD and DTS?

And, what does DD and DTS stand for?

Also, what do you mean when you say that the Apex won't play the DVD-Audio? What mix won't it play, given that the Harvest has four mixes?

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Right; It will not play the stereo mix on the disc.

Your Apex will do Dolby Digital sountracks (DD) as well as Digital Theatre Systems© (DTS) multi channel mixes. You WILL need a home theatre receiver that does use direct streams of DD and DTS from your DVD player through a single coax RCA jack.

In order to enjoy the sountracks as well, you will need two front and back speakers, center and a non-powered or powered subwoofer.

If you use the stereo jacks in the back of the APEX, left and right channels will use a downmix of the dolby digital. If you choose you play DTS without the proper reciever, you will hear nothing; as this soundtrack is a multiplexed stream that comes from the single coax connection that is made to go to a home threatre receiver and such.

Your Apex will not have the ability to play the Advanced Resolution seperate stereo and multi-channel. That is for DVD_Audio players only, and the menus therein will not show.

However, the DD and DTS menus will, and again, the hardware is necessary.

6. peter

Sckott:

Thank you VERY much. So now, the question is, given that I have this Apex, a Marantz CD 63SE for redbook CD's a SONY CE 775 for SACD what DVD-A player do I buy, assuming I choose to buy one (haven't decided yet)? One of the guys at Music Direct recommended a Denon. Forgot the model number. I'm really interested in 2-channel only.

Thanks for all help.

7. sgraham

sgraham New Member

Harvest has a DD stereo mix as well as multi channel. It will probably play that, though it won't be high res.

8. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

When you give a DVD-A To a DVD-A player:

Most likely it will start playing the Advanced Resolution 5.1 mix right away without prompts. The DD menu is not available. The DTS and 2.0 mix is, through menu.

When you give a DVD-A To a DVD (normal) player:

It will play the most compatible format, DD. If you choose DTS, it is available in the menu. However, the menu for Stereo and Multi Channel Advanced Resolution will NOT be available.

Depending on what DVD player you have, DVD-(v) or DVD-A, there are usually two different menus available, as well as backgrounds. Some content cannot be viewed (like Brain Salad Surgery, although with an Apex you can cheat seeing it) unless you have a DVD-A player.

Peter, make sure you have a Home Theatre receiver, or setup. The direct digital stream of DD or DTS is not heard without the right receiver. Trying to listen to DVD Audio through 2 RCAs in the back of that Apex isn't that hot. If you went DTS to enjoy the multichannel mix, that's ok!

I would say I'm quite pleased with JVC's XV series...

Some DVD-A players have preference menus...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.