dual-disc - redux

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rjp, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

now that the dreaded dual-disc is dead, i wonder why the record companies even did it in the first place.

in retrospect: "what were they thinking?"

the "new" idea of CD/DVD packaged together seems to be doing quite well, and most of us here felt that this was the way to go in the first place.

did they really expect people to buy something that stated right on the package that it might not work?

i, for one, am glad its gone. now if they would just release the few things on regular CD that got stuck on dual-disc: boz scaggs - "fade into light"......sheryl crow - " her starbucks thing" and i'm sure there are others.

renny

2. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

What was actually wrong with it then?

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They were thinking of how they could stop people from ripping and uploading tracks to the internet.

I don't think dualdisc is totally dead. I'm still seeing the occasional new release in that format.

4. Grant

It wouldn't play in some players. Too thick.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member Thread Starter

grant,

seriously?

i haven't seen one in over a year at least. bruce's "freedom session" being the last i saw, and then was expanded and re-released as a Cd/DVD set, no more dual-disc.

renny

6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Hi,

The DualDisc problem was 2-fold. A: The CD side wasn't compliant to Red Book standards set by Philips and Sony. Some players didn't like them and could even be harmed by them. B: The DualDisc was thicker than specification and many car players didn't accept them. Also, they scratched easily from handling!

7. hushypushy

hushypushy Active Member

I really liked the DualDisc format, I never experienced any problems with it and I enjoyed all the benefits. I'm sad to see it go.

8. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There are some rarities in the dual disc format that I think will be collectible. AC/DC's Back in Black, for example. But I agree - they were a disaster because they did not play in all players.

9. Grant

Correct! On top of that, the hi-rez side wasn't always so hi-rez.

I'm glad to see it didn't go anywhere. It was a mistake.

10. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

As a DVD-A and SACD fan, the DualDisc to me was marketplace "poison", because the two sides (re: Sony vs "everyone else") took resources away from SACD and DVD-A production and promotion and put their money on DualDisc, which as predicted failed, and took the struggling mainstream pop.rock HiRez formats down with it.

What a mess. It was totally uneeded, as the Hybrid SACD was already a "perfect" DualDisc, and the CD/DVD-A package (a la "Flaming Lips Yoshimi") was the best of both worlds, plus they could charge an extra cost for the double package.

The story of the turn of the century HiRez music scene is scattered with stupid moves, crazy legalities, and bad marketing.

Anyone up for some "New Coke"??? (The kind you drink)

11. DualDisc was tried after hybrid SACD and CD/DVD-A sets did very poorly on the market, everybody seems to forget that. Although I preferred hybrid SACD and the CD/DVD-A two disc setrs, I bought quite a number of DualDiscs and have not had problems other than the fact the CD side often didn't play in several players I own. My PC did read them just fine and I copied the CD side to CD-R for use in the auto. If hybrid SACD had been a success, I am sure Sony wouldn't have tried DualDisc.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.