DualDisc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident Thread Starter

Anyone got any Dual Disks?

I have a few. I thought it was a great idea in practice but practice doesn't always translate.

Hattipper likes this.
  2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I have both The Downward Spiral & With Teeth by NIN, and Remain in Light by Talking Heads (also had and got rid of Speaking in Tongues because the remaster wasn't to my liking). Having the surround mix and standard CD both easily accessible on one disc is good... I no longer have an SACD player so they are convenient for that reason

Hattipper likes this.
  3. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

I think just two in my collection - Bjork "Homogenic" and Fiona Apple "Extraordinary Machine"

audiomixer likes this.
  4. Diorama

Yeah they were handy. I like the medium. I thought it it had legs but I loved mini disk too and that didn't take off.

Musician95616 likes this.
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Amazingly they were not exactly compliant with either the CD or the DVD standard due to their thickness and can create compatibility problems with some players.
    They also always seemed fragile to me (and certainly more prone to fingerprints and scuffs)... so that's why I avoid them unless a particular mix/mastering isn't available anywhere else.
    They also didn't always take advantage in proposing lossless or Hi-Res content on the DVD side...

Other than that I don't have much to say for or about them. :)

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

[​IMG]

Only have a couple. The Rob Thomas disc has a good 5.1 mix

[​IMG]

The Streisand one only offers some video footage as a bonus.

All my CD players could play DualDiscs, but you could tell they were struggling a bit and didn't like them much.:)

audiomixer and Jarleboy like this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Have quite a few....all Talking Heads, NIN, Bon Jovi, Fiona Apple, David Howie Reality, Wallflowers, Living Colour, C.O.C, AC/DC, Townshend/Lane, etc..
    I know some people had issues playing these on some players but they cause no issue for me. Several of them had cool video components and bonus tracks not available elsewhere. Not a perfect medium for sure but I'd rather have these mixes and bonus bits than not have them at all!

AZRunner likes this.
  8. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

I have two:
    Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
    Ringo Starr - Choose Love

I far as I'm concerned, the format was doomed from the start due to poor compatibility issues.

9. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

The surround mix on the Slippery When Wet disc is actually really well done. There also seems to be alternate versions of some songs or a different mix. I definitely hear stuff I never heard on the regular album.

10. Diorama

Yeah I had issues with my Kind of Blue Dvd side of things

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I always thought that it was strange that Dual Discs had to be thicker when double sided DVDs were the normal thickness. It must have been since each side was a different format.

I have:

Weird Al Yankovic--Straight Outta Lynwood
    The Offspring--Greatest Hits
    Bruce Springsteen--Devils and Dust
    Shakira--Fijacion Oral Volumen 1
    Judas Priest--Angel of Retribution

12. Frank Field

Frank Field Forum Resident

I have:
    Motörhead 'Overkill'
    NIN 'Downward Spiral' & 'With Teeth'
    Miles Davis 'Kind Of Blue'
    AC/DC 'Back In Black'

All play fine for me, I wish the format hadn't died as I quite like the extras and convenience.

13. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'm not a fan of flipper discs but all of mine still play fine, the NIN With Teeth is probably the most played. I upgraded my John Mayer Room for Squares to SACD as the DualDisc only had Dolby Digital 5.1, no lossless; it was an improvement.

My biggest problem was Sony not supporting anything that could be considered DVD-Audio so they would gimp their discs with either lossy 5.1 mixes or towards the end of their support "Enhanced Stereo" which was 16/48. Sorry but I'm not paying more for a DualDisc just to get 3,900 extra samples per second of 16-bit audio! I remember in 2005 when Dave Matthews Band's "Stand Up" was announced, the DualDisc was initally advertised as containing a 24/48 stereo version of the album. Back then I thought 24-bit automatically meant it would be way better than the CD, lol, but a few weeks later the description changed to "Enhanced Audio" and sure enough it was 16/48. Has a cool documentary on the time in the studio so was still worth picking up, would have been way cooler with a 5.1 24/48 MLP track tho....but Sony!

The NIN Downward Spiral disc is cool because it had additional features that the SACD didn't have whereas the SACD had a bonus SACD disc of B-sides and remixes that the DualDisc didn't have...so I have both in my collection.

I have a copy of the DualDisc of Jane's Addiction's Strays which was never officially released and contains a 5.1 mix, it's the only way to get a dynamically intact version of the album as the stereo mix was crushed by Vlado Meller.

14. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

I have AC/DCs Back In Black. The mastering sucks, but I can't bear to part with it, just to say I own a DualDisc.

I just learned last week that they also make dual-disc type DVD/Blu-rays. I bought a movie for my daughter and it has the Blu-ray version of the film on one side, and DVD version on the other.

antero, davers and dobyblue like this.
  15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I never knew that. I know HD-DVD did that frequenty and I have lots of those. Never seen a blu-ray/dvd on one disc, though. What title?

JasonA likes this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The DVD that came with Air's Walkie Talkie CD had PAL on one side and NTSC on the other.

Lost In The Flood and JasonA like this.
  17. Good in theory but not necessarily execution. I have the Brick boxed set for Talking Heads (let's not talk about the mastering for the CD side). I also have Rough Mix by Townshend and Lane. Not a fan because of the lack of compliance for redbook and DVD.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The only one I have is David Bowie's Reality. When it first was released it was only released in the Seattle area, so I had to get someone I knew from there to send it to Wales for me.

19. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

That's pretty cool, I've never seen a retail one but I do remember JVC showing prototypes of a BD25/DVD9 flipper back in 2006/2007 CES period.

JasonA likes this.
  20. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Twilight, from 2009 (?). Like I said, for my daughter :hide:

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Actually, I think my wife has Keane's Hopes and Fears too.

22. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I have the first season of Louie which is BD on one side and DVD on the other.

23. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Vlado the Impaler crushes everything he touches.

I have the Wallflowers disc. The 5.1 mix is just as crushed as the stereo mix, so it's basically worthless.

I have the Slippery When Wet dvd-audio. I assume it has the same 5.1 mix as the dualdisc. The 5.1 mix is smashed on it as well.

24. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

One. Collideoscope by Living Colour. The CD layer played on a normal CD player, but proved to be a total PITA to rip on my computer. The DVD side lacked a good stereo mix (from memory there was a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 mix). After multiple attempts at ripping I gave up and ripped it by connecting the optical out of my CD player to the optical in of my Mac. Some years after that I found one particular drive on one particular computer was able to rip it in a single pass with no errors. Huge amount of effort for an album that I don't even like that much. Maybe I went off it because it annoyed me so much.

dobyblue likes this.
  25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I've ripped everything to FLAC, so I haven't played an actual disc in awhile.
    I have all of the Talking Heads; David Bowie - Reality; Blondie - Curse of Blondie;, Bjork - Post and Debut; Joey Ramone - Don't Worry About Me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.