DualDisc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Also have a Nellie McKay set in the format.

audiomixer likes this.
  2. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I remember going with a lot of dualdiscs due to never seeing any of them having the copy control crap on them. At the time, i was seeing it on the standard cd versions of certain albums by Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Dave Matthews Band, etc. So i always chose the dualdisc version because none of them said that and, of course, any extra content included.

I guess the lack of the copy control nonsense (that would put some sort of bug in your pc when you went to rip a copy) had something to do with the format not meeting redbook standards, or whatever.

So far, i haven't had any problems with any of mine. However, i do have a two sided Terminator dvd that began to come apart at the edge. And, of course, it no longer plays beyond that area. But, it seems cheap compared to the dualdiscs.

3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

With the only available 5.1 surround version of that album. :righton:

DeeThomaz likes this.
  4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

This promo's the worst for copy protection. It won't play in a car on on a computer and when played on a CD player is useless because they've put spaces between the songs.

5. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

DualDisc, to me, was the end of the HiRez, surround sound, mainstream effort. Sony basically stopped making SACDs in favor of making DualDiscs. A lot of DVD-A production was stopped as well, with those folks thinking the the DualDisc was a way to be finally CD compatible. Anyone else remember the headlines that Silverline or their parent company were on the books to release a huge blast of DualDiscs? (That never came out - I think they got sued over that IIRC)

Anyway, the SACD was ALREADY THE PERFECT DUAL DISC, and the DVD-A/CD package (a la Flaming Lips) was also about as perfect as it got. The DualDisc did nothing but add confusion and eventually kill both DVD-A and SACD as being an "in the store, stocked at Best Buy/Media Play/Record World, etc" item.

Needless to say, I dislike DualDiscs. :)

carrolls and sallymae_hogsby like this.
  6. Russ_B66

Russ_B66 Forum Resident

I have a few and I think that they are pretty cool but they do not rip well.

7. somebodywhocares

somebodywhocares Forum Resident

I have:
    Eric Clapton: Back Home
    Keane: Hopes And Fears
    Ringo Starr: Choose Love
    Wallflowers: Rebel, Sweetheart

I enjoy them all for the video content.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  8. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Just Ringo & Bruce.:)

9. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

I have

Talking Heads-Little Creatures
    Grateful Dead-American Beauty
    Bill Withers-Just As I Am

Definitely like them but only have them for the 5.1 surround sound.

10. DualDiscs were like a promising dream that turned into a nightmare. In theory, it sounded like a single format that would satisfy everyone. It ended up being not only incompatible with some equipment, but Sony seemed to use it as an excuse to destroy the DVD-A/SACD momentum, by intentionally not taking advantage of what the DVD side could offer.

(I think I just paraphrased what you already wrote.) :)

Jarleboy and JonUrban like this.
  11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Can't stand the format, won't buy it, don't own any. For the Talking Heads, I bought the UK/Euro imports that were released as CD + DVD sets instead of crappy DualDiscs.

12. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

ditto. cd player don't like it. nor did it import to iTunes well, lots of re-do's

13. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

i'm still working on building a collection of DualDiscs (5.1 surround sound only) 10 or so years down the line some proving much harder to find than others!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Bombo klatt that is a hell of a DualDisc collection!!

blind_melon1, fredblue and c-eling like this.
  15. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I complained (that's what we do here) when they first showed up, vowing to NEVER buy them.

But then Björk in 5.1 surround showed up, and I had no choice. Guess I've got a couple other titles somewhere (NIN).

My impression was that the mechanical standards issue only affected Redbook CD players, not DVD players. In any event, the Oppo plays anything. It's all on a server now anyway, so no harm no foul.

Otherwise, just another gadget to throw money at. Good riddance.

fredblue likes this.
  16. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I think it's pretty clear that the music buying majority weren't remotely interested in SACD and DVD-A software or hardware, and DualDisc was basically a Hail Mary pass to make something out of the surround sound market. All of these physical digital formats were doomed from the start. And I'm saying this as someone who invested in ALL of these formats!

Back on topic, I've got Ben Folds' "Songs For Silverman" and Bruce Springsteen's "Devils and Dust" on DualDisc. I gotta admit I liked it OK at the time because we had a HT set up in our living room and listening to music in surround worked well for us then. The Folds surround mix I recall being pretty good, but the Springsteen was nothing special. Maybe I got those mixed up, it's been a long time.

dan c

fredblue likes this.
  17. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I have some of the Michael Jackson singles that came out as DualDisc. I bought them for the single versions, etc that was included on some of them. My old Mac Pro sometimes coughs it out when I put the disc in but after I few tries I was always able to get it to play and rip the CD side. Never tried playing the video side and some of mine say PAL on them so not sure I can even play the video side.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  18. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

What's the deal fredblue? No Donna's? :)

I don't have as many as you, but despite my detest for them, there are a few that are must haves for me because of what's on them, most notably Eric Clapton - Back Home (some great tunes and a great 5.1 mix), of course "Brothers in Arms" although it's also available on SACD, Both Bon Jovi's, and the Bill Withers is good.

I also have one of the rare "Take Five's" from the Framingham, MA Best Buy on test market debut day way back when.

Malina, fredblue and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Wow!!!! I have about 20 or so but you take the cake my friend!!! Nice collection!

fredblue likes this.
  20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

You're right of course, but the timing was horrible. DSOTM just came out on SACD and there was much press about this everywhere, even in non-music publications and newspapers. And at the same time the Rolling Stone issue came out with the free SACD so that some folks found themselves with a SACD that they might have been curious about. It was at that point that Sony bailed and DualDisc appeared. Probably would not have mattered anyway, but the timing wasn't great, IMHO, for the DualDisc. Notice that they didn't stick with it very long either, WB switched to MVI discs for a couple of minutes, or seconds maybe.

21. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

It was a cool format. I've only got a few, but they sure sounded good:

Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    The Church - Forget Yourself
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

22. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I forgot I had the Donna's disc....that is a great album and some cool video footage too if I remember correctly!

23. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

I also have this magazine which came with a "Free DualDisc Inside". I have never put the disc in a player to see what's on it.

[​IMG]

quicksrt and c-eling like this.
  24. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Do you need to "Overcome Your Need to Procrastinate"?

25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I have a few scattered titles and the Talking Heads brick. I play the latter all the time. The 5.1 mixes of the first two albums really surprised me, as they sounded fuller than I thought possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.