DualDisc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have the Talking Heads Brick set and the Wallflowers album Rebel Sweetheart. Although I liked the idea of heaving a CD and DVD/DVD-A on the same disc, with all the playback problems I'm glad the format was soon abandoned. They didn't play in the car, one of my DVD players crashed whenever you inserted one, I couldn't rip them to my iPod, very frustrating.

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yes, you would. I coincidentally played it last night. A world-class mix imo; the kind that makes you want to listen to the fronts, center and rears in isolation just to soak it all up. Which is exactly what I did.

3. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Some notes on the Nine Inch Nails-The Downward Spiral, 1994/ 2004
    Remaster done by Bob Ludwig -24/48 MLP for both 5.1 and Stereo (DVD-A)
    5.1 carries a more dynamic mastering over the Stereo and 1994 compact disc
    2 channel remaster is slightly more compressed over the 1994 release.
    [​IMG]

DHamilton likes this.
  4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Thank you for your sensible reply. I have always doubted the existence of this disc. So far, only three tracks by Cliff has emerged on a hi-rez format, as far as I know. "EVERGREEN TREE", "THEME FOR A DREAM" and "OCEAN DEEP" are the three tracks in question. They all sound O.K., but "EVERGREEN" is excpetional. It appeared on a Japanese SACD called something like "THE BEST OF FOLK". (And here´s me thinking Cliff didn´t release all that many folk songs!)

I would love to hear his best tracks from 1975-1982 on SACD. I´m "DREAMING", of course... :righton:

(And yes, I know that the songs would have had to be remastered to deserve such a treatment. The state of his legacy is not abysmal, but not really great, either.) "EVERGREEN TREE" shows what can be achieved.

fredblue likes this.
  5. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

A theoretically great idea, with mostly poor execution. Kind of a metaphor for the music industry, really. :laugh:

boggs and pghmusiclover like this.
  6. Mike Riding

Mike Riding Forum Resident

Cheap Brit Awards 2006 2-disc Dualdisc here:-

Amazon.co.uk: Buying Choices: Brit Awards 2006

Just got a copy myself from CD and DVD Outlet, it's new and sealed. Total £2.05 delivered in the UK (£0.79 plus £1.26 delivery). Not sure about international shipping prices.

7. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I have a Nina Simone one with video on one side. Pretty cool.

phillyal1 likes this.
  8. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident

Oh God I've got Son Volt "Okemah And The Melody Of Riot", Miles "Kind Of Blue" Fiona Apple, The Talking Heads Brick Set, Bruce Springsteen "Devils And Dust" and I think that's about it.

DHamilton likes this.
  9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Good God, you don't have Townshend / Lane or Bill Withers DD titles?

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Really - I thought that they played in most players - and played in all rom drives for ripping? Mine do fine on rom drives, and I guess I got lucky with players that agreed with them.

11. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

I've got NIN - TDS, OST - The Devils Rejects (primarily for the Terry Reid Cuts), and Ben Folds - SFS. I will say the DVD 5.1 of NIN's TDS sounds amazing, IMHO. I do remember having issues playing these on certain cd players (primarily the car). Are these DD titles viewed as rare/sought after versions? Or is it too soon for that?

12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Only three TH issues

Remain
    Tounges
    Naked

I recently looked into trying to complete the set but its probably not worth it if these are no longer produced.

13. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

The brick is still slipping through relatively cheap on occasion. This one went for 209.

WOW BARGAIN Talking Heads 8 DualDisc by Talking Heads | eBay

Say It Right likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never thought that the horrible idea that was to be 'dual-discs' would someday become collectible.......my my my

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It seems that all obsolete audio formats eventually become collectible. I pick up DD titles for artists I'd never normally buy when I see them in the used bins and I'm probably one of the only people in this forum that actively collects MiniDiscs.

16. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Talking Heads - Brick
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Eric Clapton - Back Home
    Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix
    Nine Inch Nails - Downward Spiral
    Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (20th Anniversary)...although don't think it was labeled as DD

17. walrus

Still not sure why it was a horrible idea. It was (potentially) a way to get 5.1 audio out to more people, without forcing them to buy new hardware, or buy an entirely separate copy of an album they already owned, without adding to the cost. That many discs didn't put much worthwhile content on the DVD side was poor execution of the product, but not the fault of the product itself.

jeffreybh and amcaudio like this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

actually, i think that the main problem of dual-discs was comparability, they would play in some machines, but not others (basically no car players at all) and that was not good. remember that these came pretty quickly (in the scope of things) after CD's and not too many people were keen to re-buying things again so soon.

19. walrus

Yeah. I never had a problem playing the few I owned in any of my players back then. And I mean, no one needed another copy of Back In Black at that point, but I thought the high-profile remasters, like Talking Heads and The Downward Spiral that came out as DD's were a good idea. I mean, obviously slapping "remastered" on something generated enough sales for labels to keep doing it with any album they could find, so my attitude with DualDiscs was...why not do the DD and give people something extra? (Namely, a good 5.1 mix) I think 5.1 music could've been a slightly less niche thing if people had acquired collections of surround audio, compatible with hardware they already owned, without even trying.

DHamilton likes this.
  20. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Picked up a couple more today...

Eric Clapton: Back Home (DualDisc/DVDA 5.1)
    [​IMG]

Sheryl Crow: Music That Matters To Her (DualDisc/DVDA 5.1)
    [​IMG]

21. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

DualDisc's I have that I haven't seen mentioned:

John Mayer - Heavier Things
    Jamie Cullum - Twentysomething
    DualDisc - Two Sides To Every Story Sampler
    Bela Fleck & The Flecktones - The Hidden Land
    Chris Botti - In Boston
    Chris Botti - When I Fall In Love

c-eling and Malina like this.
  22. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

Anyone know if the Massive Attack - Collected is in 5.1?

23. fredblue

fredblue Surrounded by Music

Stereo only afaik

24. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I thought the only one I had was Pentangle's Basket of Light but I checked and for some reason I also seem to own Burzum's Draugen as well. That must have been cheap.

25. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I’m not sure if there are multiple versions, but mine has bonus tracks on the CD side and video clips on the DVD side. No hidef audio or multi-channel content. Massive Attack - Collected

I had mixed feelings about it. It plays fine in my CD player and DVD player, but I wasn’t sure it wouldn’t jam my MacBook drive. Luckily it didn’t and I was able to rip the audio tracks on the CD side. Still, I never bought another one.

DHamilton likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.