"Dumbo" on blu-ray September 20th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pawnmower, Sep 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

:agree:

After being at Disney World last month and going on Splash Mountain a few times....that movie needs to come out!

2. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member Thread Starter

3. :love:Watched my copy of this last night...it's friggin' GORGEOUS!!!

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I ordered my copy from Amazon. Apparently the pre-order $8 off coupon did not show up as an option for us folks in NY. I called CS over the weekend and they took $8 off the total. Thanks Amazon!!

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yeah, they're still hacking the little black centaur out of Fantasia...keep dreaming, fellas!

6. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

A "Dream is a wish Your Heart makes"! To quote a song from another Disney classic!

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Cool!

I have had mine on order (coupon) since 05/15/11 and it was shipped yesterday.

8. Paradiddle

Paradiddle Forum Resident

Anyone know if Costco is stocking this? If so, I may try to pick it up after work today.

9. arbogast

arbogast Clapboard Person

Looks gorgeous to me although I haven't compared it to the previous DVD. The RKO logo *is* intact.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thought of you Steve when I saw that glowing review yesterday (above link). I love it when a film I love gets the Royal Treatment. Ben Hur is being raved about now too.

12. Steve Hoffman

For a while (when I collected Technicolor 16mm) I had a Tech 16 "Hospital print" of DUMBO. It was beautiful, it glowed like Technicolor did when printed. I like the new DVD but since there is no actual Technicolor printing it doesn't glow. Can't have everything but that is something I really miss about these clinical reissues. Oh well, silly to complain when they are striving for total accuracy to the neg... I guess I could watch it on my old Roundie, that makes everything glow, even the news..

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

This transfer was created from the original sequential Technicolor negative just like the previous blu-ray releases of Snow White, Fantasia, Bambi, and Pinocchio and is of similar quality. IMHO, it is a significant non-subtle step-up from the previous DVD. The original mono track is available along with a 5.1 remix.

14. Steve Hoffman

Except for the lost parts that were cut out of the negs of all those movies to use in reissue trailers, right? :angel:

15. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Forum Curmudgeon

I thought that for Snow White they just used the same digital files created for the film's 50th Anniversary restoration, like every post-1989 video release did.

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No, it was a new scan and transfer.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

If that's the case, the folks who did the image scrubbing in the digital domain did an impressive job integrating the dupe sections with the originals because it is pretty seamless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.