Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Bloody hell, I'm also a HUGE fan of Dune, it's probably in my top 5 books I've ever read - and (1) I don't give a monkey's that Liet is now female and (2) I'm really interested to see how it's going to work in the film

And talking about staying classy...

Pete Puma, FVDnz, marblesmike and 4 others like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Senior Member

meh... Nothing surprises me anymore.. Just as long as they don't gender swap Shai Hulud.

Kyle Mooney likes this.
  3. frozen-beach

frozen-beach Forum Resident

This film is going to be a disaster. The promo shots look cheap as hell.

Solaris likes this.
  4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That was my thought too. Visually it looks bland and generic. I hope I'm wrong.

5. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I wonder if it will better than the Lynch concoction.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I know nothing about Dune. What is it about making this character a woman that invalidates part of the plot of the story?

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You beat me to your own punchline.

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah, people can bitch about Lynch's "Dune" (I love it) but it's probably in the top ten of all-time for Sci-Fi set and costume design. (Although jodorowsky's dune probably had something to do with that!)

9. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

One of my favorite things about that film was its design.

chrischerm, Solaris and Ghostworld like this.
  10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

FVDnz likes this.
  11. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I agree, while it's a narrative mess, it's beautifully designed, though I would like to have seen more Giger in the overall look. If they were going to draw from Jodorowsky, I say go nuts.

[The film worlds of science fiction in general need more Giger, in my estimation]

These stills lack that weirdness, which I think is essential. Hopefully they're not really representative of the film's look.

12. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

The Blade Runner 2049 association was not quite enough to make me interested in this new Dune, but the casting of Rebecca Ferguson has me interested. She had a criminally tiny role in the last Men in Black film but was awesome in every moment.

13. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Meh. I am not so concerned that a gender is switched so much as bringing more mystique and reverence to the Liet character...which from this new Vanity Fair picture shows promise.

FVDnz, Spitfire and BeatleJWOL like this.
  14. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

I wish people would read the book , movies are just lazy entertainment (unlike books)

johnnyyen and FVDnz like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Love Lindsay's work. She did review the Dune book many years ago and she wasn't really into it at the time. I'm hoping she will revisit once the films have been completed.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think the difference in tone is always a challenge, and an opportunity, for a filmmaker who is aware of the differences between his audience, and the time during which the author created his world. There are always those purists who insist the only wisdom exists in the narrative as the author wrote it, or even insist the beats and conventions as originally written, even if out-of-step today, are the "point" of the author's view. But their resistance to updating a storyline to make it palpable to a modern audience, is missing the point of mass communication; you don't make a profit targeting your films to satisfy only cranky old cloud-yellers.

(And of course, we are becoming more aware these days, about small voices from the cracks and crannies, who will complain about such bastardizations of inclusions in modern society, not to actually discuss the veracity of a cast member change, but really to gin-up controversy, hoping to make the project, the director or even the whole studio toxic by association, and making it toxic to side with them, for fear of tainting your own brand. Of course this is a totally different discussion for another place, only tangentially linked to this subject...hence the parentheses)

17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And here is Doctor Wellington Yueh, played by Chang Chen.

[​IMG]

marmalade166 and Kristofa like this.
  18. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Was Dr. Yueh Asian in the book? I don't remember it ever being mentioned.

Or did they just assume he was Asian because of the name? I'm pretty sure ethnicity (other than planetary or the Fremen) is never really described in the Dune books, so to me that's not really important in casting decisions.

19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It was never implied, but I've always envisaged Yueh being Asian while reading. He may not have the drooping moustache and long hair, but he doesn't need to look like Fu Manchu or Ming the Merciless, now that I think about it. It's more of an updated look and I think the goatee looks great!

20. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

:laughup:

21. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Somewhere I read that this will be released in two episodes.
    I'm looking forward to it.

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I will always love David Lynch’s Dune. It’s such a wonderful mess, and Paul will always be Kyle in my mind. I’m really looking forward to this version. I’m currently reading Dune. I thought I had read it before as a teen, but I don’t think so. I’m really enjoying it.

FVDnz, Plan9, Dok and 1 other person like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, the new DUNE trailer is here!

[​IMG]

PTgraphics, Deuce66, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  24. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I think that must be the Director's "trailer".

25. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Have they finally decided when and how it will be released?