Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

in theatres Dec 18

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I’m sure how COVID-19 plays out will impact this as well. I’m hoping it will be in theaters but will moviegoers?

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

We'll find out soon enough with Mulan and Tenet.

SandAndGlass and robertawillisjr like this.
  4. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

If the trailer’s rockin’ it’s gonna get swallowed by Shai-Hulud.

Reese likes this.
  5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I'm not going to a movie theater until a vaccine is done, injected in me, and proven to work. They can stop promoting films until that happens.

Leviethan and robertawillisjr like this.
  6. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

You'll be safe if you wear your stillsuit and beat anyone who gets too close with your maker hook.

Leviethan, Hyacinth House and Dok like this.
  7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I hear the effects in that trailer are amazing.

I have a hard time arguing with this. I think that's a good tactic for now.

Solaris, Leviethan and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

These are my initial thoughts as well.

But we still are facing an unknown future with both CV19 and the flu season in full swing.

Right now, for most areas of the country that are not hot spots, I think that going to a very uncrowded movie theater, which I did a couple of weeks back, presents almost a zero risk.

December and on in to next year remains a big question mark.

9. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Something tells me you would have hated the original production of Romeo and Juliet, where Juliet was played by a man.

Plan9 likes this.
  10. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I'm in the same camp and I think the studio's would be wise to just wait a few extra months.

I hope they do because I would love to see this one on something bigger than my home theater. Something needs to erase the memory of the disaster that was the Lynch film, which I wasted my time/money on.

Vidiot likes this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I really want to see this in the theater, but I’d happily stream it on my new weirding module.

12. Dok

Dok Senior Member

13. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

These are bound to get moved again..
    Surely WB aren't going to waste $200M+ on putting Tenet out when 50% of the movie going public won't want to venture into a theatre?

14. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I would put that closer to 90%.

Maybe a real high budget tent pole type movie like Tenant might lower the percentage bar a bit, but even then, I doubt if you could get it to move to even 75% of what it might otherwise be.

15. :p

I LOL’ed, but I gotta say turning the Weirding Way into a Module was one of the things about that Script/Movie that pissed me off the most. :realmad:

FVDnz, wayneklein and vertical like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Apparently a teaser will be shown before Tenet, the full trailer will be released online on Sept 9.

FVDnz, SandAndGlass and elvisizer like this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Those leaked images so far look incredible! Disappointed that the trailer - I meant teaser, didn't launch in Oz when I saw Tenet yesterday but then again, it didn't seem to air in the UK either.

So hyped for this!

marmalade166 and elvisizer like this.
  18. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Everything I've seen and heard about this film just makes me look forward to it even more - the book is in my top ten books for sure. Anyway, here's a look at the picture's from the latest Empire magazine, including what I think is a good take on why Liet is now female (something that doesn't bother me anyway)

FVDnz and Reese like this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I like Quinn. And I enjoy his critiques into Game of Thrones as well. As for those new images, that sandworm cover looks incredible!! Even that sandworm mural looks stunning too. So excited - even got to see that leaked teaser on Twitter too, which was awesome. Looking forward to the full trailer now (only 4 more days)...

marmalade166 likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Teaser for the trailer to be released tomorrow.

FVDnz and Reese like this.
  21. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Teaser for a trailer? This is like Star Wars-level hype. Has Dune always been this big?

22. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Not to my knowledge. I started reading the series 6 months before the David Lynch movie in 1984 and outside of a few hardcore geeks nobody knew anything about it.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  23. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

Then why all this attention? Don't get me wrong: I love Dune too, but I didn't realize it had this level of popular cachet.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I have no idea. I predicted it will bomb for the simple reason that outside of the SciFi community nobody knows anything about it. The female audience is pretty much nil (hence the gender swap of Dr. Kynes).

Dune is my favorite series of books. I tried to turn a few friends onto it as a teen in the 1980's and they couldn't get past Frank Herbert's literary writing style. And then they watched the movie were even less interested.

I should be glad that the studio seems to be getting behind this movie. I hope to be proven wrong about it being a bomb.

Wright likes this.
  25. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Isn't Dune one of the best-known science-fantasy literary series of all-time in North America? :confused:

Most people I hang out with know what it is, even if they haven't read the books. Maybe it's an European thing.

marmalade166 likes this.