Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer him ( not really ) in Drive.

hi_watt and Ghostworld like this.
  2. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

What is interesting is that the Dune international numbers are already larger than the gross for both Black Widow and Shang-Chi, it's at the domestic box office it's lagging behind the Marvel pictures. Of course, part of the domestic drop can be attributed to Halloween, which is always a low weekend for cinemas, so will be interesting to see what it does next week.

hi_watt and twicks like this.
  3. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Halloween isn't traditionally terrible. The last year it fell on a weekend, the top movie (The Martian) only fell 26%, and that was its 5th week of release.

4. Joker to the thief

Joker to the thief Forum Resident

Bigger drops tend to happen at the start of a run rather than towards the end of a run, so comparison between a second and fifth week drop isn't really comparing apples with apples.

JediJones likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

To get another DV fix, I started to rewatch “Blade Runner 2049” and realized a huge hole in the logic of Blade Runner. After watching the Nexxus models go
    Rogue, they have the fixed version of Androids by 2049. My whole problem with how “K” exists
    Is: If you’re worried about replicants going rogue, why feed them such a rich social life? (In fact, why did Tyrell give them fake memories?). K works for money, has an apartment, has a girlfriend he loves… why? If you don’t want replicants suddenly developing an urge for freedom, why give them rich emotional lives? It’s like asking for trouble. Why pay them a government salary, for gosh sakes? Why not just unplug them between jobs!?

marblesmike likes this.
  6. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

Ridley Scott's Bladerunner explains why replicants have implanted memories. They are created as fully intelligent beings that can experience emotions. But without a lifetime of emotional experiences to guide their emotions, they can become uncontrollable when they get emotional. So Tyrell implanted memories in his replicants to give them the emotional stability that humans develop as they experience life over time, making replicants controllable. (I don't remember now if the Philip K Book on which Bladerunner was based got into any of this, but the book itself was a very different thing than the movie.)

You just have to roll with the idea that in the Bladerunner world, the world has accepted using replicants, and that replicants act and feel like humans do, so humans don't just unplug them, any more than you'd lock up your kid's nanny in the closet like a broom when her shift's over. You might as well ask, why make slave labor robots have emotion at all? Why make slave labor robots even resemble humans in any way? That's just the movie's rules for its world, so the story can explore themes of real versus simulacrum, with the idea of memories as a motif.

enro99 and marmalade166 like this.
  7. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That was done more convincingly in Westworld, where there was an entire season to get into the reveries, or backstory memories that were causing problems with some of the hosts. It was paid off with Reverie by Debussy and ultimately the messaging, "these violent delights have violent ends." But of course that has nothing to do with Villeneuve.

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

The incredible new adaptation of ""Dune,"" from director Denis Villeneuve, has some astonishing sound work, fully embracing the immersive capabilities of Dolby Atmos®. Creating this soundtrack was a long and painstaking process, which began in pre-production, as Denis took a novel approach by bringing his sound team and composer on board very early in the process. This gave them extra time and creative freedom to unlock some truly next-level artistry on this film. We recently sat down with Denis and his all-star sound team of Mark Mangini, Theo Green, and Ron Bartlett, to discuss this and their approach to this very ambitious project.

""[A]t the end of the day, you're not mixing sound, you're mixing an image. It's storytelling. And everything that pulls you away from the screen is bad for me. But with the sound of Atmos, what I like is that I just have the impression that I'm diving INTO the image.""
    — Denis Villeneuve, Director, ""Dune""

hi_watt and enro99 like this.
  9. Where do they find these writers? This early extract of his prose was enough for me to just stop reading the review: "Herbert’s legendarium, with its encoded metaphors for mind-expanding drug use, fossil fuel dependency, post-colonial politics, nascent feminism, and religious seeking, seemed exactly attuned to gathering forces in the modern zeitgeist and so caught the imagination of three generations of dorm room dreamers, but also connected with a larger, more mainstream audience in a way hardcore science fiction rarely does, albeit also erecting a firm barrier between those who could penetrate Herbert’s odd, dense writing style and those left totally cold by it." -yikes!

Tony-A, JediJones, hi_watt and 2 others like this.
  10. Yep. The idea behind that prose is pretty solid, but the execution . . . dreadful. But indeed, the parallels to a world that was just coming to be (the Guild being like OPEC) were audacious. Of course, the Spice emanating from the then-hip ideas around acid have aged more poorly but are nonetheless really interesting in context of the book. And the parallels between the Fremen and the Saudis . . . and potential manipulation of religious faith - very interesting.

hi_watt and enro99 like this.
  11. I don't get the point of this article. In the novels, Paul's story arc ends with Dune Messiah and I don't recall him becoming particularly villainous (granted it has been almost 40 years since I read the first 4 novels). He is a flawed person, less than perfect, and he makes some decisions he regrets, but to characterize this as villainous seems an exaggeration to me. I expect the movies will continue to more or less track the novel storylines.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    hi_watt likes this.
  12. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Paul is not a villain - he's a tragic figure. He thinks he can change the future but ultimately can not.

Now Leto II is arguably a villain.

enro99 and Ghostworld like this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Given his acting chops, I wasn’t sure if I was watching “drive” or the “dawn of the dead.”

hi_watt and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Yawn of The Dead.

and don’t mention his song n dance film. :)

hi_watt and Ghostworld like this.
  15. alexpop

D
    U
    N
    E I was going to see it early, in a large screen cinema.. but £22.50 ( that was the cheap seats) for a quasi Star Wars homage.. i balked at the price.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I watched it on HBOMax. Liked it. Will watch the next one. Wasn't exactly the movie I would have wanted, but was an enjoyable one.

17. Not even close to accurate.

SJP, enro99, Bender Rodriguez and 5 others like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Too bad they said it about Keanu Reaves first but his acting makes wood look lively.

alexpop likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Yeah, it's pretty clear the Dune egg came first

hi_watt, Ghostworld, Deuce66 and 2 others like this.
  20. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Saw it last night, this time on a big screen, and it swept me away just as I'd hoped. All its flaws are more apparent at that scale (including the score -- please, filmmakers, allow for the power of silence/quiet moments) but the overall momentum of it is fantastic and compensates for a lot. I've decided to just enjoy it on that level and not be critical of it for the time being. I can always do that later.

enro99, hi_watt and polchik like this.
  21. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Might be interesting for some:

A little promo for Dolby Atmos here but mainly in the "filmmaker embraces new technology" kind of way.

22. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I rewatched it last night on HBO-Max.

I noticed Paul puts on the ring at about the same time Duke Leto bites the poison tooth. Nice timing.

hi_watt, Solaris and marblesmike like this.
  23. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

That whole sequence is very well constructed. I noticed lots of little subtle bits of visual storytelling on second viewing.

robertawillisjr likes this.
  24. GregM

GregM The expanding man

It was tastefully done, going back and forth between Paul in the tent with his mom and the final moments of his father's life. But I thought the pacing could have been better if it led up to the "dying breath" moment without interspersing the other scene in it. It put the emphasis on Paul taking up the mantle of his father rather than what was happening back at the base. Interesting artistic decision.

25. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

I agree with most of this critique.
    As it stands, I'm far more compelled to re-watch Lynch's Dune (again) than Villeneuve's...:hide:

Ghostworld and twicks like this.