Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I watched The King on Netflix last night - I'm totally underwhelmed by Timothee Chalamet's acting. I'm not a huge fan of Tom Hiddleston, but his performance as Hal/Henry V in The Hollow Crown was much better (it was a Shakespeare adaptation, so admittedly, he had a much better script.)

The King seriously would put me off watching TC in anything else.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

I still maintain that this movie is pretty lousy for memes and macros, but I saw a very stupid one that actually made me laugh out loud. It's so dumb! :laugh:

[​IMG]

3. GregM

GregM The expanding man

So you don't think he's the Kwisatz Haderach?

marblesmike likes this.
  4. MrCJF

Not on the evidence I've seen. Is there anything out there where he (Timothy Chalamet) has a good director?

5. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

He's very good as a superflaky teen in Lady Bird.

head_unit likes this.
  6. Call Me by Your Name (film) - Wikipedia

I thought he was pretty good in this.

i think he’s talented butI suspect it was also good connections that helped his career as he is the nephew of a pair of filmmakers and also his mother was a former Broadway dancer. It doesn’t hurt that he’s a good looking kid as well.

Curveboy likes this.
  7. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

That's tempting and I have a $5 discount to redeem at BB, but I'll probably wait until all 3 films are done, hopefully with extended edition director cut, and have a complete set available. One thing that really bugs me about all the marketing with Dune is that the "Part 1" branding is totally lost. You look at the cover for these releases and--I'm sure it's there somewhere but--the Part 1 elements seem invisible. Even all the reviews I read failed to deal with the fact that this film is part 1 and not complete.

9. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

As if shopping at Walmart wasn't already enough like the test of the gom jabbar.

10. shark shaped fin

shark shaped fin Forum Resident

Finally saw this and it was a really excellent film, I thought. Chalamet worked well early as a lightweight and was believable later as a kid coming into his own. The cast was uniformly good to great. Most impressive was the filmmaking, however. Villeneuve had impressed me before by making a good cartel thriller script into an unnerving and eerie epic, and by making a Blade Runner sequel that was about as good as one could have only dreamed (one realistically expected at best a decent Two Jakes level sequel but we got something larger and richer.) But here he’s even better. It has been covered upthread I’m sure, but what really stood out to me was the sound design and in particular the specifically unsettling mixing on certain dialogue and dialects. A couple of them made my skin crawl, in a good way. Great music, too.

head_unit, Purple Jim, GregM and 3 others like this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Saw this yesterday. Enjoyed it thoroughly apart from the over-reliance on huge beating drum sounds at anything close to an action scene. Looking forward to the sequelae. Much better than the older Dune film - Sting and his stupid flower child/heart plug scene was repugnant . Might see what the old series is like as well

head_unit and GregM like this.
  12. MrCJF

I've watched the first half of the Lynch movie on Netflix this week. Oh boy, what a terrible experience. A few good moments but such clunky dialogue and action. The new one can't possibly be worse.

head_unit and GregM like this.
  13. Well part of that is Lynch’s style; if you watch his other films they aren’t really ‘natural’ (The Elephant Man is an exception as are a couple of other ones).it’s more theatrical, larger than life and about impact.

head_unit and PapaMuerte like this.
  14. MrCJF

I get Lynch's style, thats not what I'm criticising. This film has effects that look like a 60s b movie in places, and the dialogue is so clunky. Great actors delivering terrible expository speeches. Compare it to any major Sci fi movie of the era, and it does not do well.

head_unit likes this.
  15. PapaMuerte

PapaMuerte Zappatista

I was not impressed by this movie, but then again I was never impressed with Villeneue!
    Lynch, despite all of the flaws did far better job.
    That is just my honest opinion.
    I guess I'm just getting old!

16. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

Booked in for Imax here next week.
    Excited!

Curveboy likes this.
  17. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

People seem to confuse looking beautiful with acting. There are ten thousand young actors who could have done with he did in "Dune."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Loved Sicario, hated "Arrival" indifferent to "Blade Runner 2046" (except for good visuals) and enjoyed "Dune" but after two viewings, its quite lightweight.

19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Oh, done worry. If it makes tons of money, there will be prequels, sequels, and "inspired by's...."

20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

I would also recommend "Prisoners", it's available to stream on Hulu now.

head_unit likes this.
  21. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

:biglaugh:

head_unit likes this.
  22. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Did you mean "Oh, DUNE worry"? :pineapple::goodie::biglaugh:

23. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

That sounds like a movie title already!

24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I think there are better looking actors out there but I don't think there are as many with the emotional depth Timothee has that can pull off Paul and what comes next.

25. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Imagine going to the theater when the film was in it's first run anticipating a top flight directors adaptation of one of your favorite books. Then being scarred for life, worst moving going experience ever.

Curveboy and John Buchanan like this.