Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Variety presents a conversation between James Cameron and Denis Villeneuve, very interesting as they compare notes between the worlds of Dune and Avatar.

James Cameron, Denis Villeneuve Talk 'Dune,' 'Avatar' and Epic Movies - Variety

Villeneuve: When I decided to cut the movie into two parts, I proposed the studio, let’s shoot both parts. They said, let’s shoot the first part, see how it goes, because it was a bit expensive for them. I agreed. Today, I’m grateful it happened this way, because frankly, I don’t know I would have had the necessary stamina to be able to sustain a double shoot. After shooting part one, I was exhausted.

You are planning four movies in the same time. It blows my mind how someone can have the energy to commit for some, I don’t know, 10 years. How can you find the energy?

Cameron: Well, it was a challenging decision because I either wanted to do it right, or just not even do it. I just made this — I guess, strange — decision that everything that I needed to say artistically about the things that were important to me, I could say within the framework of the universe that I knew it could be. Just like “Dune” takes place across worlds, the later “Avatar”s take place across…certainly across two worlds, because some of it takes place on Earth as the story evolves, and different biomes within. Arrakis is the desert planet, right?

Villeneuve: Yes! Getting out of it alive!

Cameron: I might have underestimated that. I haven’t gotten out of it alive yet. “2” is fully in the can. We have a working cut that we’re filling in the visual effects within. I feel pretty confident with that film. “3” is still a bit shadowy. It’s way too long. I haven’t really turned my energy into a disciplined cutting process on that yet. But I know I’ve got the performances. That’s the important thing. I’ve done all the capture. I’ve done most of the live action shooting. I still owe a little bit on some of the adult characters. We were more concerned with the kids aging out. You got to get busy before Timothée…

Villeneuve: Grows a beard! (Laughter) That’s fascinating. Did you shoot everything in the same time or are you are pacing yourself through the years?

Cameron: We mixed the schedules for “2” and “3” together, based on the types of scenes and the environments. I said, let’s just treat it like it’s a six-hour miniseries and we’re only going to go to Frankfurt once. We’re going to shoot all the scenes from “2” and “3” at the same time. That was more or less the motif. Actor availability was an issue as well. Anything that had to be done with a specific actor, we did all the scenes for “2” and “3” together — and a little bit of “4.” Because once again, I had to shoot the kids out. They’re allowed to age six years in the middle of the story on page 25 of movie “4.” So I needed everything before then, and then everything after, we’ll do later.

[​IMG]

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Particularly since Dune has been beloved, influential, and copied since the 1960s and Avatar...

...was anybody asking for more Avatar? Really? :laugh:

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Well we're going to get it regardless, like Cameron said in the interview

"well, it was a challenging decision because I either wanted to do it right, or just not even do it. I just made this — I guess, strange — decision that everything that I needed to say artistically about the things that were important to me, I could say within the framework of the universe that I knew it could be."

bottom line, forget what you think you know about Avatar and go along for the ride or not.

FVDnz and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It's official Dennis will be the director.

Denis Villeneuve Directing 'Rendezvous With Rama' Movie - Variety

Having left an indelible imprint on Arrakis with his acclaimed adaptation of Frank Herbert’s “Dune,” Denis Villeneuve will journey deeper into the science fiction canon.

Alcon Entertainment, which previously partnered with Villeneuve on “Prisoners” and “Blade Runner 2049,” has acquired the film rights to Arthur C. Clarke’s classic sci-fi novel “Rendezvous With Rama” for their frequent collaborator to direct.

The novel had previously been controlled by Morgan Freeman and his partner Lori McCreery’s Revelations Entertainment, which will produce along with Alcon.

First published in 1973, the novel is set in the 2130s and centers on a 31-by-12 mile cylindrical alien starship that enters the solar system. The story is told from the point of view of a group of human explorers who intercept the ship in an attempt to unlock its mysteries. The novel won both the Hugo and Nebula awards upon its release. Clarke is the author of “2001: A Space Odyssey,” which he helped adapt into a movie masterpiece with Stanley Kubrick. Villeneuve’s work has often been likened to that of Kubrick, particularly his interest in more cerebral sci-fi such as “Arrival.”

Alcon will finance the project, and the company’s co-founders and co-CEOs Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove will produce. McCreery and Freeman will also produce.

Villeneuve has a busy dance card. Warner Bros. and Legendary recently announced they had greenlit a follow-up to “Dune,” which only adapts the first half of Herbert’s sprawling novel.

He is repped by Craig Gering and Maha Dakhill at CAA. Jason Sloane and A.J Brandenstein represent Revelations Entertainment. The Hollywood Reporter first reported that Villeneuve would direct “Rendezvous With Rama.”

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I found this very interesting, two directors going into the little nuances & details about what we the audience see up on the screen.

FVDnz and Simon A like this.
  6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for sharing the interview.

7. Great news about Rendezvous with Rama!

One of my all time favorites and the one I thought would make a very good movie.

Maybe we should start a thread about that Movie Project. :goodie:

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

niiiiiiiiiiice!

FVDnz, hellion and SoCalWJS like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

In case not already posted here:

VFX Artists React to the two DUNE movies - Bad & Great CGi:

FVDnz and Reese like this.
  10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

So dune was releases today on physical media/. Both walmart and target are advertising “exclusives,” but no mention of what makes them “exclusive.” Anyone know?

JediJones likes this.
  11. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Maybe this is part?

12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I opted for the Best Buy steelbook. Hopefully the deliverer doesn't wing it onto my porch or it will look dented and beat to hell.

13. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Just the packaging as far as I know. Here they are, and Best Buy's, but that's sold out (and no Best Buys have been sent any copies so far either):

Dune Walmart Exclusive

Dune (Target Exclusive) (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dune-s...des-digital-copy-2021/6488959.p?skuId=6488959

fluffskul likes this.
  14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I was just assuming the Target version had a clip with Kristen Wiig in a Target vest, telling them "Welcome to Arrrraakis!"...and the Wal*Mart version with Jimmy Fallon in a blue vest, doing the same. :shrug:

15. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

so I have yet to see Dune (part one)-- probably will have to stream at home as I'm not really anxious to go to a theater these days here in NYC with omicron being what it is, etc. I know, better on a wide screen, but that'll have to wait a while.

two quick q's-

1-will Dune be available to stream (i think you have to pay about 20 or 25 bucks thru my roku- maybe that'll come down in price? i suppose for that price i could just buy the dvd, right? ) for the foreseeable future, or do I need to jump on it now before it disappears from being available to be streamed?

2- any release date for 'part two' of Dune? (and has the filming been completed for part two? or even started yet?)

carrick doone likes this.
  16. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

Part 2 is not started filming yet. Release in late 2023 at the earliest I'd say.

This site will show you where to stream any movie and the prices (or if it's free anywhere):

Dune streaming: where to watch movie online?

One option is to look on Reddit on the B/S/T digital codes forum. People who bought the discs sell their codes there. I see several people offering a Dune 4K code for $13. Buying a loose digital code is probably the cheapest way to see the movie at home the first week of release:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DigitalCodeSELL/

mike s in nyc likes this.
  17. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

In Canada, I've seen it for rent on one of the streaming sites - either Disney+ or Prime Video if I recall. I haven't bitten at the price they want but I do want to see it. I use a projector so I'm hoping that will compensate for not seeing it in the theatres. I wanted to see it in a theatre but it was at the local theatre for about a week - the week torrential rainstorms made it dangerous to drive on the one night I had off.

18. GregM

GregM The expanding man

The 4K disc has incredible clarity in audio and video relative to streaming--as good as that was. Reference disc for sure. They did a fantastic job.

FVDnz, Deuce66 and Curveboy like this.
  19. Good to hear. Torn on buying this on 4k. Want to, but only if it has been really well done and the Audio/Dialog has a better balance than what I got via Streaming.

It sits in my cart on Amazon awaiting the push of a button. Not sure the Best Buy or Walmart options are appealing.

20. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

That seems to be a U.S. specific (maybe North America specific) release date. I eBayed the very legitimate disk Dune in a 4K/3D/standard Blu-ray combo pack, and received it on a date that allowed me to watch the 4K rendering on New Year's Day. The set has since been moved to my 3D queue for watching soon. By the way, the 4K disk is absolutely terrific in all respects. Hi-Def Digest has rated 4K UHD Dune a "MUST OWN". (See here)

21. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I instantly understood phrases that were hard to pick out on streaming, and the densely orchestrated crescendos of the score sounded much more balanced and articulated for an emotional wallop. Video balance and definition is just gorgeous, too. I liked the actual film better on this viewing--not sure if that was due to the technical merits or just picking up new details here and there in repeat viewing. For whatever reason the Shadout Mapes character didn't make as much sense to me in previous viewings.

SoCalWJS likes this.
  22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Blu-Ray.com review of the 4K

Dune 4K Blu-ray (4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital HD)

Denis Villeneuve's Dune is an ambitious adaptation of Frank Herbert's 1965 novel, updating its story and characters to a small degree while preserving its original scope and intent. Although some may prefer David Lynch's 1984 film (or even the 2000 three-part TV mini series) for nostalgic or other reasons, it's difficult to deny the sheer size and visual prowess of a film that fits in neatly with the director's earlier ventures into sci-fi. Warner Bros.' 4K disc provides very strong support including an outstanding 2160p transfer, Dolby Atmos audio, and a nice collection of bonus features right out of the gate. Although a more all-encompassing package may arrive after the second film's debut, it's almost impossible not to be tempted by such a strong and well-rounded 4K effort. Highly Recommended.

FVDnz and Curveboy like this.
  23. Based upon several good (or better) reviews, I went ahead and ordered the 4k disc. Hope it turns out to be worth it.

JediJones and GregM like this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Waiting for an Australian release date, otherwise I'll order my 4k online elsewhere...

25. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I don't have a 4K player (yet), so I think this is going to be the first time I buy a 4k/Blu bundle as sort of a temporary future proofing.
    Fitting since the original Blade Runner was my first VHS tape purchase. "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose."

richierichie and Curveboy like this.