Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Are there Redbox's in NYC? You can go rent the blu-ray for $2.

2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Nice interview with Denis Villeneuve that may be of interest with some here

3. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I purchased the blu ray, dvd, digital code combo for $16 on-line...I received it today. The blu ray is absolutely stunning.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    JediJones and Curveboy like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I didn't know that imitating the Sardaukar chant from this movie is actually a worthy pursuit. I just have to figure out how to turn this into the ringtone on my phone.

marmalade166 likes this.
  5. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Watched the original 1984 film this weekend and that one goes out of its way to explain the story with a voice over. The new Dune made more sense after watching it (I never read the books).

‘And the new one is way better.

FVDnz, Rycherocker634 and JediJones like this.
  6. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Just watched this. Loved it.

conjotter, FVDnz, GregM and 2 others like this.
  7. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Finally saw it (rented the dvd from netflix, old-school dvd disc)

I have to say.. I liked it, but I think i liked it better when it was "Lawrence of Arabia" :) (think of all the similarities, white dude goes to a desert , natives think he may be some sort of savior, and he takes the native's side against the white guy's country's imperialism and exploitation. (I forget how 'dune' ends, having read the book so so long ago, but its funny how much overlaps even from part one of dune)

8. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I'm not sure I agree with your take on Dune its a lot more layered than that. The Harkonnens were responsible for harvesting spice before they were ordered to transfer production over to house Atreides who planned to end to hostilities towards the Fremen.

I watched the movie twice last weekend and loved it, can't wait for part II.

FVDnz likes this.
  9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

There is much debate about whether Dune is a "white savior" story, or a critique of it. As with everything in the Dune universe, it's complicated and there are layers upon layers of what is really going on.

Frank Herbert did intend to break apart the "messiah" idea. As an example, Paul is received as the messiah because the Bene Gesserits planted the myths that a messiah would come, to set up their introduction of a messiah. And there are also themes of whether Paul is just a product of manipulation: his powers come from the Bene Gensserits' multi-generation plan to genetically produce the Kwisatz Haderach.

richierichie, FVDnz and marblesmike like this.
  10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Dune II - update

Denis Villeneuve Updates On Dune Part Two; Promises ‘Much More Harkonnen Stuff’ – Exclusive

BY BEN TRAVIS |
    POSTED 7 HOURS AGO

Ever since the credits rolled on Dune last year, we’ve been dying to return to Arrakis and see the next part of Paul Atreides' story. The good news is, it’s officially happening – director Denis Villeneuve got the green light to complete his adaptation of Frank Herbert’s sci-fi epic after the success of the now Oscar- and BAFTA-nominated first instalment, with a proposed October 2023 release date for Dune: Part Two. There’s plenty of the tale left to tell – and Villeneuve is raring to go.

Speaking to Empire in the upcoming Moon Knight issue, the filmmaker offered an update on the much-anticipated second film. “We are supposed to shoot by the end of the summer,” he says. “I will say it is mostly designed. The thing that helps us right now is that it’s the first time I’ve revisited a universe. So I’m working with the same crew, everybody knows what to do, we know what it will look like. The movie will be more challenging, but we know where we are stepping. And the screenplay is written. So I feel confident. Frankly, the only big unknown for me right now is the pandemic.”

While splitting Herbert’s book in two offered more time to establish Dune’s world of fractured alliances, hard-fought resources, and exploited indigenous communities, Villeneuve still had to make tough decisions – including losing Gurney Halleck’s baliset – in the first film. But in Part Two, there’s a chance to bring certain things back to the surface. “When you adapt, you have to make bold choices in order for the things to come to life. And I think that was the best way to introduce this world to a wide audience. Now in the second one, I want to have more flexibility, and it will be possible to go a little bit deeper into some of these details,” he explains. That includes introducing characters like Feyd-Rautha – as the focus of the story shifts to characters who played a smaller part last time around. “It’s like a chess game. Some new characters will be introduced in the second part and a decision I made very early on was that this first part would be more about Paul Atreides and the Bene Gesserit, and his experience of being in contact for the first time with a different culture,” says Villeneuve. “Second part, there will be much more Harkonnen stuff.”

Most of all, Villeneuve sounds ready to go back and bask in the sands of Arrakis once more. “I just want to experience it, be present with it, every single moment of it,” he says. “When I shoot a film, I shoot it like all my movies, as if it’s the last one. I will do the same with Part Two.” See you in the foyer in October 2023 with a box of Spice-covered popcorn.

Crungy, Voodoo Child, Reese and 3 others like this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well trailer looked a passable 7/10.
    Watched dvd earlier, struggled to stay awake.
    Nothing redeemable about it.
    Hence
    1/10

12. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Did you read the book?

brownie61 likes this.
  13. alexpop

Both films stunk.
    Put me of the book.

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah I'd say if you think the movie was slow or boring that the book probably isn't for you.

BeatleJWOL and brownie61 like this.
  15. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I really liked the film. It has a great look, love the sets, but IMO it's not best picture material. That nomination is kind of a joke. Too many of the characters are under-developed. I think the Jessica character is a great character that basically goes nowhere in the film.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Novel is usually better ie; 1984, The Stand.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  17. alexpop

Love it when someone has nice things to say about a film. But I had the reversal reaction to your observation. Clever trailer, lousy film.

18. alexpop

Sicario 10/10
    Blade Runner 2049 … 7/10
    Arrival 6/10
    Dune 1/10

Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
  19. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!”

How about "Prisoners"?
    I re-watched the other day - excellent pic.
    I can watch Jake Gyllenhaal being weird all day.

slipkid likes this.
  20. Briskit

Yeah, I went into a mild malaise after seeing Dune at the IMAX.
    I had huge expectations and just found it kind of empty.
    Very little character development.
    I couldn't give two shytes about Chalamet's "Paul", or what happened to him.

alexpop likes this.
  21. alexpop

Is that the one with Hugh Jackman ?
    7/10

Briskit likes this.
  22. alexpop

I’m a Woody Allen fan.

te he

23. alexpop

Nightcrawler. :cool:

Aside … Sexy sister.

Briskit likes this.
  24. Briskit

Yep, grumpy drunky Jackman.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Briskit

Yep - Woody rocks!

I was put off him for some time, but came back around after watching the below documentary.
    I would encourage other ex-Woody fans to check it out:

alexpop likes this.