Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

2. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I was bored silly by the first one. Christopher Walken being cast almost makes me want to see this...almost.

AC1 and RockNRod like this.
  3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

wayneklein, FVDnz, Reese and 2 others like this.
  4. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

A little planning ahead, a minor alteration in the story line and the emperor could have given Paul his dad's signet ring along with a story.
    "And now, little man, I give this ring to you."

5. hubertfarnsworth

hubertfarnsworth Forum Resident

I hope he doesn't lead the Optics and Design department to raid the Fremen!

6. Roman Potato Chip

Roman Potato Chip Forum Resident

"Mr. Vladimir... Harkonnen... sir. You're... not listening to me. I've got a fevah! And the only prescription, is more spice."

7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing... I've read that Walken likes to work a dance number into almost every movie he's in if he can... A dancing Shaddam IV isn't what I had in mind for the character.

slipkid likes this.
  8. Roman Potato Chip

Maybe it'll be some classy ball and it'll be a very formal menacing dance.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member Thread Starter

"Walk without rhythm, and it won't attract the worm." :agree:

People have already posed Walken's dancing music video for Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice," which has this line.

Even before Dune 2 has come out, casting Christopher Walken has taken care of my petty complaint about the movie! :laugh:

Roman Potato Chip likes this.
  10. Roman Potato Chip

[​IMG]
    Emperor Shaddam when he was still just a king.

Curveboy and Plan9 like this.
  11. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

A very interesting choice with Walken, but I dig it. And it's looking like Austin Butler is all but confirmed for the na-Baron Feyd-Rautha - while also been reported that he's already involved in the knife training too.

RSteven and Reese like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Warner Bros. Moves Dune: Part Two to November 2023 - Boxoffice

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that director Denis Villeneuve’s Dune: Part Two has been moved from October 20th, 2023 to November 17th, 2023. As with the first installment, Part Two will be released in IMAX.

The first installment of Frank Herbert sci-fi novel adaptation garnered six Oscars, winning in cinematography, editing, score, visual effects, production design, and sound. Part one of the Dunesaga unearthed $108M at the domestic box office. Internationally, the film brought in over $293M, bringing the global total of part one over the $400M mark. The film was made available to HBO Max subscribers day-and-date upon its theatrical release, as were all other Warner Bros. theatrical releases in 2021. Warner Bros. has since changed course, granting all its theatrical releases since 2022 a 45-day exclusivity period in domestic cinemas.

Dune: Part Two is directed by Denis Villeneuve, with a cast that includes Timothee Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Zendaya, Josh Brolin, Florence Pugh, Austin Butler, Christopher Walken, and Javier Bardem.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

14. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Glad to see filming is under way. I thought the first one was great and I'm really looking forward the second part. We may actually venture out to a theater for this one!

15. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Agreed! In terms of film adaptations no one has come this close to the book.

Lynch had his moments, but presented the most comical/idiotic third act in film history. Judging from the doc, Jodorowsky's would have been a surrealist train wreak (fun..but still) and the TV adaptations were horrible slogs.

I'm excited to see pt II. The first installment offered brilliant design and the writing (more or less) held it's own. Maybe I could do without Zendya, but whatever...

GregM likes this.
  16. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Agreed. Yeah, Zendya--jury is still out. Some of her voiceovers were incredibly good, but I credit Villeneuve for this because of the imagery. Likely good voice coaching, too. Right from the start it struck the right tone. "My planet Arrakis is so beautiful when the sun is low. Rolling over the sands, you can see the spice in the air."

17. It’ll be brilliant.

marmalade166 likes this.
  18. I think that Frank Herbert would-largely- be pleased. I met Frank twice-once in 1976 and again when I was working for Dino DeLaurentiis (I actually worked for Alex De Bennetti who was Dino’s son-in-law). He was pleased with Lynch’s first draft but Lynch didn’t have final cut and was forced to gut much of what he wanted to include (he had wanted the film to run three hours). Dino promised Lynch final cut verbally but reneged on that as he had promised a shorter cut for exhibitors. Given that Dino sold the rights regionally to get the budget for the film, this wasn’t uncommon for other projects as well. I’m surprised that Lynch worked with Dino again Obit I’ve always suspected that Lynch got Dino’s support for “Blue Velvet” because he betrayed his promise to Lynch.lynch still had to give up much to insure that Dino didn’t mess with it). Anyhow, this long winded story is my way saying that this third adaption remains a film that captures the epic feel and majesty of Herbert’s novel. I think he would be pleased.

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

'Dune 2' Release Moved Two Weeks Earlier in November 2023 - Variety

Dune: Part Two” is coming to theaters sooner than expected.

It was revealed on Tuesday that the highly anticipated sequel to Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic will hit theaters on Nov. 3, 2023, instead of Nov. 17, 2023. “Dune” has taken the previous spot of Marvel’s “Blade,” which was delayed on Tuesday to Sept. 6, 2024.

Villeneuve returns to direct “Dune: Part Two,” with a star-studded cast that includes Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Stephen McKinley Henderson, Zendaya, Charlotte Rampling, Javier Bardem, Florence Pugh, Austin Butler, Christopher Walken and Léa Seydoux. Villeneuve, Jon Spaihts and Eric Roth penned the screenplay.

Villeneuve’s first “Dune” movie was released in October 2021 and earned over $400 million at the box office worldwide, in addition to scoring six Oscars. “Dune: Part Two” will cover the second half of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel, in which protagonist Paul Atreides (Chalamet) joins forces with the Fremen to avenge his family. New characters will include Princess Irulan (Pugh), Harkonnen heir Feyd-Rautha (Butler), Shaddam IV (Walken) and Lady Margot (Seydoux).

Before the second film was officially greenlit, Villeneuve told Variety at the Toronto Film Festival in 2021 that a sequel would be “an insane playground for me.”

“It’s going to be just like pure cinematic pleasure for the second part,” Villeneuve said. “I don’t want to speak for everybody on the team, but I will say that we really created on this movie a feeling of family and to re-unify everybody again together, that would be paradise.”

“Dune: Part Two” started production on July 18.

20. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Will this film cleanse the palate from the bad taste left by the Lynch and SyFy versions?

21. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

All hope lies with the 2nd movie...

slipkid likes this.
  22. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I am a fan of the novels, but I was bored by the humourless, slow, dully acted Villeneuve adaptation. While Lynch's version was disappointing, it least it had some wit, memorable performances and some bold decisions. Despite being an admirer of Walken and Pugh, it is not enough of a hook to get my family and me back.

23. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The Lynch version has heart. It is a rubbish movie but it doesn't feel loathsome. For me the latest Dune is a cold heartless exercise in technigue. "Art for arts sake" as Gautier put it. I was bored senseless in the cinema watching this movie.

24. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I think Villeneuve was also far too reverent with the material: it actually felt like one of those po-faced Biblical epics made by devout believers in the 50s or 60s, like George Stevens' "The Greatest Story Ever Told".

Phillip Walch likes this.
  25. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I dunno, to me the Lynch film does "feel loathsome". Or rather, I felt soiled after watching it.

I remember seeing it at the theater, during Princess Irulan's introductory narration, my friend turned to me and said "I can already tell this is going to be really bad."

MrCJF likes this.