Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. user931

user931 Well-Known Member

I really liked the previous dune. Can't wait for this new one.

2. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Dune 2 is coming out this November. May be a trilogy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm hoping for a Rise and Fall of Paul Atreides Trilogy with Dune Messiah rounding off as the Part 3. Seems that Denis himself has been envisioning a potential trilogy as well.

Lars Medley likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Hoping they do all 6 books!

FVDnz, Shawn, BwanaBob and 3 others like this.
  5. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I feel the second chapter of Villanueve's Dune has a lot to accomplish in that the first was a straight retelling and pretty dry overall. :tiphat:

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It'll have to be a trilogy, unless part 2 is so long it would test the attention span of today's audience well beyond its limits. Where part 1 ended is early in the story, IIRC; maybe a third of the way in? (I don't have the book in front of me).

I just re-watched part 1, and was more impressed by the thing than the first time. But I'd urge anyone who hasn't read the book to do so, before you see the film*. There's a lot assumed to be already known by the viewer. A few friends of mine saw the film and didn't get it -- but none of them had read the book.

*The main virtue of the SciFi Channel Dune mini-series from 2000 is, it's much more explicit in explaining what's actually going on. But reading the book is still better.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    slipkid and The Revealer like this.
  7. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Didn't Villeneuve sign on to direct "Rendezvous with Rama"? I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't work on that project before we see "Dune Messiah" on the big screen.

As I recall there is a 7-8 year gap between the first and second book so waiting might be a good thing

bhazen likes this.
  8. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

No, the place where part 1 ends is about halfway through the book.

The David Lynch movie takes an hour and a half to get to the point where the Villeneuve movie ends and then tells the rest of the story in 45 minutes!

9. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It is?! Interesting; in my head the rest of the story goes on a lot longer. Well, maybe Villeneuve can get the thing done in two parts then; great! Can't wait to have part 2 in my Dune-loving hands.

marmalade166 likes this.
  10. Walter Ruben

Walter Ruben Routine Expedition Member

Dune part 2 will be the conclusion. And then if that does well they will go on to make Messiah as the third film, and possibly a spin-off series or two on cable/streaming, presumably on HBO et al.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2023
    bhazen and Curveboy like this.
  11. Walter Ruben

If public interest could last that long I would be pleasantly surprised.

12. Walter Ruben

The first look at Christopher Walken as Emperor Shaddam IV seems interesting,

[​IMG]
    ;)

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Actually not. I thought that hat looked a little cheesy. That's Walken as Max Schreck in "Batman Returns" wearing his masquerade ball outfit.

14. Walter Ruben

No, is it?!

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. I searched. Sorry.

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Vanity Fair - first look at Dune Part Two

‘Dune: Part Two’—An Exclusive First Look at the Saga’s Epic Conclusion

If you want to know where Dune: Part Two will begin, just look to the ending of the 2021 original. Director Denis Villeneuve wants to make it clear that his new movie, set for release November 3, is not so much another film as a continuation of the first. “It’s important—it’s not a sequel, it’s a second part. There’s a difference,” Villeneuve tells Vanity Fair for this exclusive first look. “I wanted the movie to really open just where we left the characters. There’s no time jump. I wanted dramatic continuity with part one.”

17. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Teaser trailer coming out tomorrow.

18. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Shot 100% in IMAX per Villeneuve.

[​IMG]

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Here's the teaser for the trailer :D.

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Continuity is good! I like sequels that start exactly where the first movie left off.

RSteven likes this.
  21. Walter Ruben

The two films are part one and part two, of one larger overarching film.

Best not to think of Part 2 as a sequel, even the filmmaker who you quoted in your previous post views it this way.

Similar to “Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows”. One book, two films.

Or “The Hobbit”. One book, three films.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Or “Most Dangerous Game.” One short story, 200 films. Lol

23. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

Everything looks awesome so far. The first film was a good adaption and this seems to be picking up right where it left off, so I have confidence it'll deliver.

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Dune Part Two - the trailer

The saga continues as award-winning filmmaker Denis Villeneuve embarks on “Dune: Part Two,” the next chapter of Frank Herbert’s celebrated novel Dune, with an expanded all-star international ensemble cast. The film, from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, is the highly anticipated follow-up to 2021’s six-time Academy Award-winning “Dune.”

The big-screen epic continues the adaptation of Frank Herbert’s acclaimed bestseller Dune with returning and new stars, including Oscar nominee Timothée Chalamet (“Wonka,” “Call Me by Your Name”), Zendaya (“Spider-Man: No Way Home,” “Malcolm & Marie,” “Euphoria”), Rebecca Ferguson (“Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning”), Oscar nominee Josh Brolin (“Avengers: End Game,” “Milk”), Oscar nominee Austin Butler (“Elvis,” “Once Upon A Time…In Hollywood”), Oscar nominee Florence Pugh (“Black Widow,” “Little Women”), Dave Bautista (the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films, “Thor: Love and Thunder”), Oscar winner Christopher Walken (“The Deer Hunter,” “Hairspray”), Stephen McKinley Henderson (“Fences,” “Lady Bird”), Léa Seydoux (the “James Bond” franchise and “Crimes of the Future”), with Stellan Skarsgård (the “Mamma Mia!” films, “Avengers: Age of Ultron”), with Oscar nominee Charlotte Rampling (“45 Years,” “Assassin’s Creed”), and Oscar winner Javier Bardem (“No Country for Old Men,” “Being the Ricardos”).

“Dune: Part Two” will explore the mythic journey of Paul Atreides as he unites with Chani and the Fremen while on a warpath of revenge against the conspirators who destroyed his family. Facing a choice between the love of his life and the fate of the known universe, he endeavors to prevent a terrible future only he can foresee.
    Villeneuve directed from a screenplay he co-wrote with Jon Spaihts based on Herbert’s novel. The film is produced by Mary Parent, Cale Boyter, Villeneuve, Tanya Lapointe and Patrick McCormick. The executive producers are Josh Grode, Herbert W. Gains, Jon Spaihts, Thomas Tull, Brian Herbert, Byron Merritt, Kim Herbert, with Kevin J. Anderson serving as creative consultant.

Villeneuve is again collaborating with his “Dune” creatives: Oscar-winning director of photography Greig Fraser; Oscar-winning production designer Patrice Vermette; Oscar-winning editor Joe Walker; Oscar-winning visual effects supervisor Paul Lambert; Oscar-nominated costume designer Jacqueline West. Oscar-winning composer Hans Zimmer is again on hand to create the score.

“Dune: Part Two” was filmed on location in Budapest, Abu Dhabi, Jordan and Italy. The film is slated for a November 3, 2023 worldwide release from Warner Bros. Pictures.

Lars Medley, GregM, RSteven and 6 others like this.
  25. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

This and Ridley Scott's Napoleon are the two things I'm most looking forward to this year.

Plan9, GregM and tommy-thewho like this.