Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm going to call bulls**t on that.

2. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The way I'm looking at it right now, is that Legendary has intentions on getting the movie(s) right, so I believe they're going to let Denis have the creative freedom necessary. Though I am assuming Warner Bros are distributing the film(s), yeah? They'll probably want a shorter runtime after how long Blade Runner 2049 was, though I'm kinda hoping both Dune films will have around a 2-2.5 hour runtime regardless. I suppose these could be cut into Theatrical and Extended Cuts too. I'm sure scenes can be cut in theatres for sake of running time while not affecting the story as a whole. Denis will know what he's doing anyway. Still excited for this no matter what.

LEONPROFF and marblesmike like this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

FVDnz likes this.
  4. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

After enough consideration, I think this kid could nail Paul. Make it so.

Some suggestions of my own...

Lady Jessica - Sylvia Hoeks (Blade Runner 2049)
    Baron Vladimir Harkonnen - Albert Finney or Robbie Coltrane
    Princess Irulan - Elizabeth Debicki
    Duncan Idaho - Pedro Pascal
    Thufir Hawat - Jeremy Irons
    Doctor Yueh - Chin Han or Donnie Yen (or even Chow Yun Fat)
    Piter DeVries - Cillian Murphy or Michael Sheen
    Chani - Hailee Steinfeld or Brianna Hildebrand

marmalade166 and Plan9 like this.
  5. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Duke Leto - Kyle MacLachlan

6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

or as I saw suggested, Patrick Stewart

7. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Don't you think he might be a little too old for that role?

8. marmalade166

Maybe, but I'd like the gravitas he'd bring to the role - as well as the connection to Lynch's film of course

9. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

The 'My Dinner with Andre' of the Dune series. And my favorite.

10. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

After seeing what an amazing portrayal he gave of the King under the Mountain, Richard Armitage could make a great Duke Leto - and I think he has the right look too.

Also heard a suggestion this morning of Sigourney Weaver to play the Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam. I dig it!

Plan9 and marmalade166 like this.
  11. Feyd-Ratha Harkonnen -Sting (with carefully applied CGI) :D

12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

This just posted on Brian Herbert's Facebook page...

I'm assuming the film will finish around the moment Paul drinks the Water of Life and Jessica becoming the Reverend Mother of the Fremen?!

Plan9 likes this.
  13. marmalade166

Ooh, I didn't know they were breaking the book down into separate films, as excited as I was already this has ratcheted it up for me

FVDnz likes this.
  14. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Yup. I guess it's more logical to set the 2nd film from the 2-3 year period where Paul and Jessica have been in hiding, etc...

Plan9 and marmalade166 like this.
  15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

jh901 and marmalade166 like this.
  16. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I hope the film(s) thoroughly cover the original book. Plenty there for two 2 and 1/2 hour epics. Leave it roughly where the the 2nd book picks up. Someone else can tackle more in 15 or 20 years from now.

FVDnz likes this.
  18. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

It's been reported that the first film will cover approximately the first half of the book, which by reading through again recently, looks to be a very suitable moment for a cliffhanger. Paul and Jessica escape into the sandstorm, presuming that they don't survive. The Baron appoints Rabban to oversee operations on Arrakis thus ending with a monologue of him grooming Feyd-Rautha to take over from his meat-head older brother.

Plan9 likes this.
  19. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Stillhouse likes this.
  21. An adaptation of Roadside Picnic that's more faithful than Tarkovsky's Stalker and well-budgeted enough to pull off its concepts would be cool. I know there was a mini-series bring planned, but I don't know what its status is.

22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

It has to be said that I'm a tad concerned that they're only covering the first half of the book in the upcoming shoot - according to Denis Villenueve, it's just too expensive to do it all in one go like he would have wished - Dune isn't exactly a prominent pop-culture staple like, say, the Tolkien literary works, and Villenueve's work isn't the usual run-of-the-mill popcorn fare (despite the increasing budgets and visual world-building), as Blade Runner 2049's disappointing theatrical performance proved... I'm just worried if the upcoming first part doesn't do gangbusters business, the story won't be completed and left hanging.

Probably won't happen that way, but it is a genuine concern...

marblesmike likes this.
  23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

My guess is that this will bomb. Not because of Villenueve or any other person involved, but because as you say, it isn't a prominent pop-culture property, but perhaps more significantly because of the internal monologue nature of the book(s) and the myriad of foreign sounding names, houses, cults and what have you. It can be very confusing to the uninitiated.

If he tries to do justice to the novel, than it will potentially appeal only to the hardcore fans of the books (and they may still be disappointed), and if not, it will be panned as a poor adaption. IMO, it's a no win situation...

Vinny123 likes this.
  24. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm not going to be quick to dismiss this film just yet. Has there ever been a film with an Eric Roth-penned script that has failed at the Box Office?! His script should probably help with pacing I suppose. It will be interesting how they tackle the thought monologues in the book though. Apparently, Roth once handed in a draft that was around 200 pages. Wow, perhaps they could release a theatrical version to appease general audiences and then later when the Bluray hits, an Extended Edition could also come out sometime later. :)

25. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

I think Game of Throne has primed the public for these complex, multi-house, epic stories. Wouldn't be surprised if they reference the show somehow in the tagline or in reviewer quotes.

Plan9 and FVDnz like this.