Dune to be directed by Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Turnaround, Jan 7, 2017.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I guess they would have to be brave, hard. :D

Ghostworld likes this.
  2. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Me sir :righton:

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    FVDnz and marmalade166 like this.
  4. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

First casting decision I've not really been fond of. I feel like an older actor might have been better suited.

Stillhouse likes this.
  5. I worked on the movie back in the day. Interesting experience the Mexican crew was very nice and did some good work. Dino went back on giving Lynch the final cut--yes Lynch went back and re-edited it but this was at Universal's insistence and he wasn't the only one to work on it. He had been promised that he would be allowed rework the film without studio interference. That didn't happen. The structure of the film doesn't quite resemble Lynch's final script or original 4 hour edit (the extended edition does not represent this version as it was assembled again Lynch's wishes by Dino's daughter). The final script was, as I recall, pretty good. Frank Herbert was pleased with it and he felt that the weirdness element that was in the seventh draft of the script kind of worked to the project's advantage. "Dune" isn't a great film but it his very entertaining even if Kyle MacLachlen was miscast and lost in the production without the character development necessary for the script, he was adrift in an ocean of sand.

duneman, FVDnz, marblesmike and 3 others like this.
  6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Very cool

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And now, it appears we have our Chani. Not my first choice but maybe Denis can still get a good performance out of her. She better have the red hair! ;)

Zendaya in Talks to Join ‘Dune’ Reboot

And I'm actually fine with Oscar Isaac as the Duke Leto despite his height. People complain that he's too young but he is turning 40 this year. They can age him a little and maybe with some camera trickery, can make him look taller as well.

8. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I like her as MJ in Spiderman Homecoming and can see her as Chani, with the same cheeky/sarky characteristics

FVDnz likes this.
  9. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Leviethan likes this.
  10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

FVDnz likes this.
  11. Drew

Drew Senior Member

If the first movie covers the first half of the book and we're not sure whether there is a 2nd movie then exactly how much of Stilgar do we actually see? Same for Chani, Feyd Rautha and some of the other characters.

12. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

The version I watch is the Dune Alternate Edition Redux by Spicediver. I believe I rented the original on VHS well over 20 years ago only coming to learn that Patrick Stewart was in this film and even after watching the film, I felt nothing. I even remembered nothing. Learning that Denis Villeneuve was going to take on a new adaptation prompted me to give Dune a read at least. Even watched a couple scathing reviews of the Lynch movie on YouTube which I happened to enjoy oddly enough, and then some mates pointed me in the right direction to check out the Spicediver FanEdit. I watch it just to entertain myself and still it's far from perfect. Universal or whoever should release whatever unreleased footage there could be from the Cutting Room Floor and maybe get somebody to try and assemble everything - something like what Peter Jackson is currently doing with the Let It Be footage (can't wait to see that btw). We already know that Lynch wants nothing to do with the film so I'm sure he wouldn't care if somebody else took the reigns.

13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I'm sure we'd at least catch that one scene of Stilgar introducing himself to Duke Leto. That's all we would see of him in the first film and Chani - we would likely see visions of her in Paul's dreams. I'd still like to think that 200 page treatment could in fact be covering both films. Dreams are for free. ;)

Halfway point in the book is when Paul and Jessica escape into the sandstorm which makes for a cliffhanger I suppose.

Re: Oscar Issac as Duke Leto. It's also been brought to my attention that Jurgen Prochnow played the Duke when he was 42 while filming Lynch's version. Isaac will be turning 40 this year so he's not that far off. They can still make him look older if need be. :)

14. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Which Chalamet films have you guys seen (or will plan to see)? I think he's an amazing young screen actor. Call Me By Your Name (alongside Armie Hammer) is quite a film!

Cast is looking amazing. I don't think I know Zendaya, who seems to have been cast as Chani.

Anyhow, I don't go to commercial theaters so I won't be helping US ticket sales. Will be cheering from the sidelines! Of course, I'll drop $20 or so for the UHD on release date.

15. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Personally I would be loath to miss this on the big screen. Some theaters will likely show it in IMax/Atmos. A big screen extravaganza to be sure!

Chris DeVoe and marmalade166 like this.
  16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

My big screen is pretty amazing! Better image and sound quality. But yeah, I'm rooting for as many as possible to hit the theaters.

duneman likes this.
  17. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

marmalade166 and Leviethan like this.
  18. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

From Patrick Stewart to Josh Brolin -- passing the hambone!. Josh Brolin to me is now like Charles Bronson of the new millenium -- cool to look at but kinda always the same. Hahah. Love him though. Patrick Stewart has always been Patrick Stewart, too. Faces for all-time. Funny guys.

My favorite character Vladmir Harkonen. Lynch's heart-plug scene is wonderful. I love Sting giggling away. Everybody getting off. Blood flying. It's beautiful! I want to see Villeneuve top that. Haha.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    FVDnz likes this.
  19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Let's face it, Josh Brolin should be in everything, amirite???

I'm actually feeling more confident of this film's chances at the box-office and them doing well enough to get that second movie (the rest of the novel) made and released...

FVDnz likes this.
  20. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

And top that off with Brolin having already worked with Denis on Sicario too. Has Josh surpassed his father as an actor or does he still have a way to go? And apparently, Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem are friends too not to mention a No Country for Old Men reunion (must see that movie again). Josh can still look ugly with the inkvine scar, etc. While a bad film, Jonah Hex can show how ugly Brolin can look. ;)

Thanos vs. Drax 2.0 (Brolin's Gurney vs. Bautista's Rabban, lol). Really want to see the two of them battle it out towards the end of the second film... :D

marmalade166 likes this.
  21. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This is going to be as awesome as Blade Runner 2049...and about as profitable. I am worried we won't get the second half.

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I will definitely see this in the theater

23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

24. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Stillhouse and FVDnz like this.
  25. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

marmalade166 likes this.