Duran Duran - Future Past (new album out October 22nd 2021)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jacden, May 18, 2021.

1. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

That voice is not that deep. Simon doesn't often happen to hit those notes of late so it may throw one off at first listen, but he did sing the deep-toned verses to "New Moon on Monday" or "Palomino". The pronunciation is a giveaway that's him, I think.

omikron and Neonbeam like this.
  2. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I have to say I'm glad that they (or BGM) are showing continuous faith in the CD format with this one. The digibook "deluxe" is all I need, really.

I'm also glad that this is, when all is said and done, another 60 minute album in a row after All You Need Is Now and Paper Gods. I was raised on '70s and '80s LPs, but since the '90s I've found myself totally at ease with an hourlong digipak CD and think it's the perfect quantity for a music album. I cannot get behind the industry's currently mandatory "get back" trend of 40-min albums. To me it feels like having the attention span for a short story vs the novel-length satisfaction that 55-65 mins of music usually give me.

There are several 70+ CDs I've enjoyed as well, but that kind of length has proved a minefield more often than not - it's all in the sequencing and pacing. I concur with Medazzaland-era Simon when he opined that listening to a 78-CD can feel like enduring a life sentence. :)

3. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

The deluxe CD will be the “real” album for me. Vinyl without Nothing Less is a joke (like having Rio without Save A Prayer), and the additional tracks, even if two are quite short, fit really well where they are.

4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

paul says theyre real at 8min11sec mark:

later

St. Troy likes this.
  5. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

So Red The Rose and Big Thing are among my most beloved '80s records. And I agree, "Nothing Less" is equally special. :righton:

mannmw, Thorpy, Max Florian and 2 others like this.
  6. jacden

jacden Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been streaming the 12 track album on TIDAL about 10 times since Friday, waiting for my vinyl/cassette/deluxe CD bundle to arrive.

This is the album I always knew they were capable of making if they would stop chasing trends or trying to reboot Rio and just be themselves. This is a fun, emotional, adventurous AND cohesive listen.

I don't even mind the guest appearances this time. In fact, Tove Lo blends right in on "Give It All Up", probably my favourite track of them all.

I'm very anxious to have the "complete experience" when my deluxe CD arrives.

Way to go guys.

7. spacedyed

spacedyed Forum Resident

I'll let you know if my tracking info ever changes from "Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item" :sigh:

Jerry Horne likes this.
  8. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I told my daughter I’m really enjoying the Tove Lo track!

jacden likes this.
  9. friendofafriend

friendofafriend Forum Resident

I got the deluxe cd and the red vinyl. The vinyl is my favorite version to play, and I love the more concise song selection. I do enjoy the other tracks on the deluxe cd, but I definitely think they chose the best 10 tracks for the vinyl. I absolutely love the two Moroder tracks, so strongly disagree with the suggestion that they should have been left off the 10 track version - they are some of the best!

AndrewK and Neonbeam like this.
  10. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Hmm he says no reason to think they are not genuine. I’ve compared them to other signatures on the web and they are nothing like the ones on this art print. Maybe they are real but I’m not convinced at all.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Will compare them to the ones in the "All You Need Is Now" set. At least those have to be real.

negative1 and Nitrous like this.
  12. Neonbeam

Pardon my nativity but why wouldn't they be genuine? Especially since TM Store wrote an e-mail last week informing everybody that due to a delay they have to send out the vinyl first and the signed prints a week later. If those were fakes why not just let an intern sign those names and send the stuff out on time? Instead of having to pay postage twice?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    negative1 likes this.
  13. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Yep could be genuine. TM stores were waiting to receive the signed inserts. Some of the art cards that came with the CD have SLB squiggled. Some have Simon squiggled. Just seems a bit iffy to me.
    How do they compare to the vinyl factory box set ones?

14. Neonbeam

I don't have the TM Stores signatures yet.

15. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

Ok I look forward to your thoughts once you receive them.

16. BigManRestless

BigManRestless Forum Resident

I love the album, it has great songs with great hooks. Much better than Paper Gods. I read the SDE review and I tried not to raise my expectations too much as I love what Paul does with the site, but my tastes and his rarely coincide. But this really is their best album for ages, definitely high up in my personal DD albums chart.

I don't mind the guests too much, but it is a bit 'trying to be down with the kids' as if 'the kids' care about Duran Duran.

St. Troy, Guapito and jacden like this.
  17. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

there is a photo online of Roger and John sat at a table with boxes of these prints and signing them. Put it this way - if you had to sign a few thousand times your signature, would you not abbreviate it? I know I do for a number of situations. The handwriting style of each signature coincides with previous signatures of the band. Even those going back a few decades.

18. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I have to admit being a bit worried after hearing Tonight United and Give It All Up a few weeks back. I thought “oh, no, EDM again”, but apart from those songs it’s a brilliant collection of songs. Much better than Paper Gods . I think Erol Alkan has done a great job.

19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Great album! Indeed better than Paper Gods (though I enjoyed that album as well) and likely my 2nd favorite new release in 2021.

jacden likes this.
  20. Adegan

Adegan Forum Resident

Kinda surprised they left off two songs on the vinyl pressing, two songs I really like. Now, I will say that I can do without the rap part in "Hammerhead" (for which there has been some pearl clutching by members on the DD board) and thankfully, a couple of fan edits are out there removing the rap. One version edits out the section seamlessly and the other one does a complete reduction of the rap vocals.

St. Troy likes this.
  21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

According to the band, the signatures on the new release are "Real R Than You'll Ever Be".

Nitrous and Neonbeam like this.
  22. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

anniversary live on the ross show.

simon isnt shouting as much on the chorus:

later

St. Troy, LAKingSteve and Neonbeam like this.
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

here's mine without the rap:

later

The MEZ likes this.
  24. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    jacden likes this.
  25. jacden

jacden Senior Member Thread Starter

I considered this offer for a moment, but decided against it. For that price it's bound to be in a lossy format. I can rip my own deluxe CD for free when it eventually arrives.

JeffMo likes this.