Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Graham looks as old as them, if not older.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was listening to this, this morning, and I was surprised how good it was to be honest.

back story - I had only ever owned Seven and the Ragged Tiger and Arena. and the way it worked out for me was I liked the songs I knew off the first couple of albums, but never pulled the trigger on buying either. Then when the first couple of singles off Seven came out, I figured I would give the album a go.
    It was ok and I figured that it would do.... When Arena came out I thought well this has the songs I like, so I'll get that ...
    I later heard the first two albums, but never got around to buying them.
    When I started enjoying this thread, I figured it was about time to actually get them.
    So, as I say I was listening to the debut this morning and I actually really enjoyed this instrumental. I was in fact surprised they had an instrumental.
    I am certainly not really a Duranie or whatever the term folks use is, but I reckon this is a good album.

Blame The Machines and RobRoyF like this.
  3. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Not really relevant, but he looks pretty good for a 50 year old guy.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Has the next song even been announced yet? Had the OP lost interest and abandoned the thread?

5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

==
    That’s a good observation!

6. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Huh? So far the op has been great and like clockwork?! :confused:

7. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Tel Aviv I found fascinating, exotic even, the title alone adding something to the album. 5/5.

I can’t stand the demo on the deluxe set, just awful, so glad the final version is instrumental.

8. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

you're kidding right, it was just posted by him a few messages before this.
    later

Neonbeam likes this.
  9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

tel aviv, a great instrumental to close out the album : 4/5

I enjoy the exotic sounds of it, and its nice that bands would sometimes
    do this on their albums during that era.

it suits the album very well, and good for them for using it.

later

c-eling and Blame The Machines like this.
  10. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Duran is my favorite band of all time. In 1984 (age 10), my bedroom walls were plastered with their posters. I didn't become a fan until Rio was released, and their barrage on MTV. I was too young when Girls on Film and Planet Earth were singles. Even though this came out just a year earlier, as a kid, it always seemed so old and unrefined to me. I came to appreciate it more recently. Reading the posts here is great. I'll probably have more to contribute once we get to Rio.

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Spandau Ballet included an instrumental on Journeys To Glory "Age Of Blows". Ultravox also on Vienna with "Astradyne"

12. Paul Rymer

I think it had been a thing since Bowie's Heroes and Low.

13. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps. If you've noticed, this software doesn't always show all posts all the time. It's like a bandwidth saving feature or something. I could very well have missed the new entry.

14. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

simple minds with 'somebody up there likes you', abc with 'look of love(reprise), etc.

later

AFOS likes this.
  15. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

We're letting the forum down guys! It's been a thing since The Beatles with "Flying" :hide:

16. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Tel Aviv

This song is one of my all time favorites, I usually dig most instrumentals. I like everything about it. It has a haunting mood to it, almost ghost-like to my ears.

5/5

Blame The Machines and SJP like this.
  17. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

A couple of good instrumentals on Visage too. However, I do find Tel Aviv quite dull to be honest and not a great way to end an album. Ultravox opening with Astradyne was amazing, I love that track and how it flows New Europeans.

mark winstanley and AFOS like this.
  18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Tel Aviv has never done it for me . I would have preferred any of the B-sides.

19. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

Tel Aviv - Thanks to Mr Spenalzo for posting the demo which is a very different beast (it has echoes of Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel for some reason to my ears) to the finished track of the same name. Personally I prefer the finished album cut as it does sound like a Berlin-Bowie-era instrumental designed to be featured in a James Bond movie during a chase scene in the desert. 4.0/5

20. Blame The Machines

The last song of the debut album era is:

013 Faster Than Light
    [​IMG]

"Faster Than Light" is a song by Duran Duran, released as the B-side to their third single "Girls on Film" by Capitol-EMI on 13 July 1981.

The song was written by all five members of the band and was used as the title for their second UK tour in 1981, which began on 8 June, where it was performed live.

Aside from the version on the "Girls on Film" single, no other versions are known to have been recorded.

negative1 and Neonbeam like this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Faster Than Light

I don't know why I always forget about this song...it's good until Simon screeches the title.

22. Paul Rymer

Faster Than Light is one I used to like a lot as a kid, but it just seems a bit, er, light to me now and is definitely b-side material. Maybe it could have been better-produced? 2/5.

Blame The Machines likes this.
  23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Faster than light : 5/5

[​IMG]

What a beautiful song, great beat, keyboards, and guitar work throughout.

Yes, simon is hitting those super high helium notes at some point.

It would have been a perfect addition to the album, i always add it to the tracklist.

Yeah, there's no way they would ever sing it nowadays, but it's just a product of its era.

another great b-side. wish they had done some extended mixes 0f the b-sides on the
    twelve inches, but back then, the extra tracks were the bonus for the 12 inch singles,
    as opposed to one track for the 7 inch.

===========================

don't want to step on the toes of 'blame the machine', but i will post some aggregate graphs
    of votes for the album, and b-sides, just for fun ... did it for the talk talk tracks.

i'm a math guy, and like those kind of things.

later

24. Blame The Machines

If I may quote the late, great Antoine Domino Jr.

:edthumbs:

negative1 likes this.
  25. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

thanks, will you be asking people what they would vote on the original UK album as a whole,
    before moving onto the next set of tracks. that would be helpful also, if you like.

later