Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

My Own Way -- 5/5 classic New Wave.

2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Here is what I got for the votes and averages.
    I did not count .25 or .75 and rounded, also when there was a ditto,
    i duplicated the vote.

The averages are about +/- 0.1 on the whole, except for 'faster than light'
    which is off.
    ================================
    Here are the song votes:
    [​IMG]

Here are the song averages:
    ====================
    [​IMG]

Highest album track : Girls on Film, Planet Earth, Tel Aviv
    Lowest album track : To The Shore, Sound of Thunder

Highest B-side : Faster Than Light
    Lowest B-side : Fame

And average votes for the album:
    ---------------------------------------
    [​IMG]

later

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My Own Way was a great pop song ... I honestly never knew the album version was faster, but the album is on the way, and although my favourite Duran album, it will be the first time I have had it.
    4.5/5

Blame The Machines likes this.
  4. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

I love My Own Way : 5/5

I will refer to this site, which has tons of references to the various versions of 'Rio',
    and the album tracks:

Duran Duran - Rio

Code:
     My own way. (7 versions)

My Own Way [Single Version] (3:39)
    The 'My Own Way' single (EMI 5254) was originally released in November of 1981, prior to the recording of the 'RIO' album. This version has a totally different arrangement than the Album Version.

My Own Way (Night Version) (6:34)
    This is an extended version, which was used for the UK 12" single release (12 EMI 5254).

One interesting thing to note about the picture sleeves of the 'MY OWN WAY' single is that they were designed by Peter Saville and initially were issued with a gold Duran Duran logotype, later replaced with blue Duran Duran logotype on second and additional pressings. The UK 12" single also came with a 'message' from the band: 'SHAKE THAT DOTIE GROOVE THAAAG' was etched into the run-out groove area of the vinyl record.

My Own Way (Instrumental Version) (6:33)
    This is the Night Version without the vocals. It appears on an UK 12" promotional release (PSLP 348).

My Own Way [Album Version] (4:49)
    'My Own Way' was re-recorded for the 'RIO' album session utilizing a slower tempo, slightly altered lyrical arrangement and without the inclusion of the string section as compared to the Single Version.

My Own Way [Carnival Remix] (4:29)
    This version was mixed from the Album Version. Additional lyrics, apparently left off the original, were included to round out the mix and this version was remixed with the 'rhythm section punched up, making it ideal for dancing' for the US 'CARNIVAL' (DLP-15006). This mix was also used for the remixed & remastered US album release, and can be found (with a 6 second longer fade out) on the UK 12" single of 'RIO'.

My Own Way [Brazilian Edit] (3:43)
    This is an edit of the Album Version, fading out very early. It can be found on the Brazilian 7" EP 'RIO'.

My Own Way (Manchester Square Demo) (4:38)
    Released by EMI on the 2 CD Limited Edition in 2009, this early version of the song was already being played by the band during their 'FASTER THAN LIGHT' tour in summer 1981. The lyrics seem to be unfinished at this point, the chorus and parts of the second verse are slightly different.

I first heard the Kershenbaum remix on the 3rd release of Rio, and loved it.

I didn't hear the frantic 7" remix, or the UK versions until much later.

Loved the 12 inch remix, and how radical it was. A couple of years ago, I finally tracked down
    the UK blue label promo with the instrumental. It was a digital download for the deluxe, and
    still hasn't made it to an official CD, although the Carnival fanclub cd has a good version of it.

Love Nagels artwork, and the alternate japanese cover:
    [​IMG]

Spanish 7 inch:
    [​IMG]

French 7 inch:
    [​IMG]
    UK Promo :
    [​IMG]

Duran Duran ‎– My Own Way (Night Version)
    Label:
    EMI ‎– PSLP 348
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 45 RPM, Promo, White Label
    UK
    Released:
    Genre:
    Electronic
    Style:
    Synth-pop

Tracklist
    A My Own Way (Night Version)
    B1 My Own Way (Short Version)
    B2 My Own Way (Instrumental Version)

later

Jet Age Eric, enro99, c-eling and 5 others like this.
  5. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

My Own Way - 4/5. Ushers in the Rio sound. They were on a cusp of something great, but haven’t nailed it yet.

6. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Tel Aviv 3.5
    Faster Than Light 3

7. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

My Own Way 3

Also the 1st album shows you how much Andy contributed to the sound of the band.

8. pwhytey

pwhytey Forum Resident

I love 'My Own Way' and my preferred version is the relentlessly frantic 7" mix. I've never really understood the band's disdain for it - yes, it's very "of its time", but aren't most of their singles? 4/5

9. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

wow—very cool, negative1! Thanks for doing that!

As for My Own Way, I definitely prefer the album version, the single is awfully disco. But, the B-side to that, Like an Angel, is tremendous and one of my faves. Some big hooks, some questionable whistling, some doo-doo-doos, I’m sold, baby!

My Own Way (single): 3/5
    My Own Way (Rio): 4/5
    Like An Angel: 5/5

Mo0g and Blame The Machines like this.
  10. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

I only had the US album version (cassette) until I got the CD in the 90s, which didn't sound right to me. I was so happy to be able to recreate that album with those versions with the re-releases. I give the Kershenbaum version 4/5.

11. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Re the debut - don't think I owned the vinyl album till the late 80's. Up to then had many of the singles. Still looking for that elusive CD with good sound and no "Is there something I should Know"

"My Own Way" (7") *****

Love the much faster single version and the video. Prefer it over the slower album version although that one is excellent as well. No idea why the band have left it off many of the best of's. Awesome track

pwhytey and Blame The Machines like this.
  12. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

My Own Way ★★★★
    The remixed album version was the first I heard: I got a copy of Rio when I turned 10 in '89. I wasn't even aware there was another until I bought the CD about ten years later (I think it was '99, when I also bought a VHS Greatest). Oddly, I just thought I didn't like the song as much as I used to until another ten years later I got the deluxe CD... aha! I don't remember when I found out the original single version was quite different... somewhere between getting that first CD and 2004, because I remember referring to it when discussing Britney Spears' "Toxic" online, so probably the singles boxset. The four stars are for the version I first heard and like best, the remixed album version.

RobRoyF and Blame The Machines like this.
  13. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Own Way - So far is looks like I'm in the minority over this track, although ironically agreeing with the band. I think this is the worst single "the Fab Five" version of the band released. The verse is promising, but the chorus is just catchy annoying to listen to. I prefer the Rio album version to the speeded up disco original single version. But it is still the weakest track on their second album, and just too lightweight for my tastes. Having said that I still score it 3.5/5

As I have visitors, I'm going to get the next track up shortly...

14. Blame The Machines

015 Like An Angel

"Like An Angel" is a song by Duran Duran, released as the B-side to their fourth single "My Own Way" by Capitol-EMI on 16 November 1981.

The song was written by Duran Duran and performed live in the early 1980s.

Live recordings include a performance on Peter Powell's Sessions show, which BBC Radio 1 aired on 11 August 1981. This recording was released on Duran Duran: Special Editions in March 2010.

Other live recordings include a performance at London's Hammersmith Odeon, during The Faster Than Light Tour.

15. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Like An Angel is terrible, sorry, but I have a deep aversion to whistling in songs. Just about my least favourite song of theirs. 1/5.

16. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Like An Angel- 3 out of 5. First heard it when the Singles collection came out. Was hoping for more and was disappointed. They let this song down. I take it down to youth!

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Like An Angel": Great that this didn't end up on.... urgh.... "Rio". Strange melody that - unsuccessfully - tries to sound slightly exotic. And if your song doesn't already suck enough, you can always whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you? :evil:

(Could this whistling thing be inspired by blamed on Bryan Ferry/ Roxy?)

1/5

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I haven't hear this before. It's ok, definitely b-side material, but not terrible 2.5/5

19. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Like an Angel

Somewhat forgettable.

2/5

20. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Like An Angel ★★
    First heard this on a cheapo compilation, which I bought to get this and "Fame". It's a fine little b-side: I like John's bass here, and the guitar solo at the end. During the verses the guitar sounds a bit like me attempting to play something by The Smiths: the first few notes go well, but my fingers cannot process a tricky chord, so I just play the bit I can pull off ad nauseam. I don't mind the whistling, but I was 12 in the year of "Joyride" and "Wind Of Change": if those couldn't traumatise me, a few seconds of Le Bon putting his lips together and blowing won't either.

[​IMG]

21. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

Back to "My Own Way." Apparently Simon likes his Seven-Up fizzy, between 6th and Broadway. Is this code?

Max Florian likes this.
  22. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

My own way:
    I hate hate hate hate hate hate the single version. It buried a great song and was a real shocker to me hearing it years after falling love with the album version. It’s one of the few UK singles I haven’t gotten but I guess I should remedy that.
    I don’t know who decided to redo it and drop all that awful noise-perhaps Colin Thurston-but whoever did saved a great song from destruction. The album version is tight, punchier and completely better in every conceivable way. I’ve used it for years to demo systems and to introduce people to the deeper Duran cuts from the early days outside of the hit singles. Essential track!

Single version: abysmal 2/5
    Album version: 5/5 essential band classic

Like an angel: since I don’t have the single I’m not as familiar with this one. It’s ok I suppose but not really good and is definitely a b side. 3/5

23. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

like an angel - definitely a quality track from that era : 4/5

I like this song, and the guitars, and midtempo beat work well.
    simons lyrics, and vocalizing fit the tune well.

it's got that early sound to it, but i can easily see it on the album also.
    they actually didn't have too many extra tracks at this point, and would
    end up using a lot of live tracks for b-sides, so its actually a rarity for this time.

yeah, not everyone likes the whistling, but again, i think it suits the song fine.

we wouldn't hear duran sound like this again.

later

24. Blame The Machines

Like An Angel - Again this is another of those tracks where I don't think the band nailed it, due to either too little time, or they did not rate it themselves. It certainly has potential, and has some nice mellow moments that they did much better on their Big Thing album; and I actually like the whistling in this track. But it is endearingly awkward to listen to. 3.0/5

theholygoof likes this.
  25. Blame The Machines

016 Hungry Like The Wolf
    [​IMG]

"Hungry Like the Wolf" is the fifth single by Duran Duran, released prior to their second album Rio by Capitol-EMI in 1982 (4th May) with a live version of "Careless Memories" on its B-side.

This has become one of the band's signature songs. Its popularity was boosted by MTV, which played the accompanying music video in heavy rotation. The single was Duran Duran's second Top Five hit in the UK and was their breakout hit in the USA

"Hungry Like the Wolf" was written and recorded quickly on a Saturday afternoon in the spring of 1982 at the basement studios of EMI's London headquarters. "That track came from fiddling with the new technology that was starting to come in," guitarist Andy Taylor recollects in an interview with Blender, referring to the rhythmic backing track they came up with by joining a Roland 808 drum machine with a sequencer and a Roland Jupiter 8 keyboard.

"As soon as we heard that, we knew we had something, and I started working out a Marc Bolan-ish guitar part, a very Marshall-sounding Les Paul guitar lick, to go on top of it," Taylor continues. "Then we added the bass and drums, and the whole track was finished that day, including Simon's vocal melody and lyric. He has a great ear for putting a melody to a bunch of chords. I didn't realize it at the time, but his inspiration for that lyric was Little Red Riding Hood!"

A final version was recorded in at London's AIR Studios with producer Colin Thurston. "He was a great organizer and arranger," Taylor remembers. "We gave him far more ideas and music than the track actually needed, and he was important in the process of whittling them down to the essential elements." Thurston and the band decided to keep the demo's original electronic backing track and just rerecord the other instruments and vocals. "AIR was a big acoustic room with a very warm sound, which gave the track a distinctive sound," Taylor says.

The song was first released on 4 May 1982 in Britain, where they had attained some earlier success. The single peaked at #5 in the UK Singles Chart on 15 May.

The original version of the song was initially released in the United States on Capitol's Harvest label (B-5134, backed as in the UK by a live recording of Careless Memories), but did not gain any notice until its re-release (B-5195, with a remix on side A and the Night Version on side B) on 3 December 1982, after the remix album Carnival (September) and the re-release of the Rio album (November), featuring all of side one remixed by David Kershenbaum, began to gain popularity among deejays. At first the song seemed to again be going nowhere as radio airplay was slim to none, but when the newly emerging MTV picked up on the video, requests began to pour into radio stations, and the song entered the Billboard Hot 100 chart on 25 December 1982 at number seventy-seven, eventually jumping into the Top Ten, peaking at number three on 26 March 1983, and remaining twenty-three weeks on the chart.

It also peaked at Australia #5; Canada #1; & scored a #4 peak in Finland; Ireland; & New Zealand.

In 2006, online voters rated "Hungry Like the Wolf" #2 on VH1's list of "The 100 Greatest Songs of the '80s" behind Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer".

Music video director Russell Mulcahy, who had directed the band's first video "Planet Earth", was brought back to make the music videos for "Hungry Like the Wolf" and several other songs for the band's ambitious 1983 video album. The band had a vision of jungles and exotic women, and Mulcahy suggested Sri Lanka, a country he had just visited, which had the advantage of being inexpensive. Keyboardist Nick Rhodes remained behind to finish the mixing of the Rio album while the rest of the band began filming in April; Rhodes flew straight to Sri Lanka after handing over the final masters to EMI.

The video was lush and cinematic, with shots of jungles, rivers, elephants, cafes and marketplaces evoking the atmosphere of the film Raiders of the Lost Ark. The storyline reflected the lyrics "I'm on the hunt, I'm after you", featuring singer Simon Le Bon pursuing a tiger-like woman from parties in the city through obstacles in the jungle, culminating in a final chase and struggle in a jungle clearing. In the meantime, other band members hunt for Le Bon whom they eventually find in a restaurant which is the same one Le Bon is seen in at the beginning of the video although the camera cuts to show scars or rather scratches on the left side of Le Bon's neck.

Les Garland, senior executive vice president at MTV, said “I remember our director of talent and artist relations came running in and said, ‘You have got to see this video that’s come in.’ Duran Duran were getting zero radio airplay at the time, and MTV wanted to try to break new music. ‘Hungry Like A Wolf’ was the greatest video I’d ever seen."

"Hungry Like the Wolf" was #11 on the century-end MTV "100 Greatest Videos Ever Made" and #31 on the "VH1: 100 Greatest Videos". MTV also named "Hungry" the fifteenth of their most-played videos of all time.