Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

"Dark in the city night is a wire
    Steam in the subway earth is afire
    Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo
    Woman you want me give me a sign
    And catch my breathing even closer behind
    In touch with the ground
    I'm on the hunt down I'm after you
    Smell like I sound I'm lost in a crowd
    And I'm hungry like the wolf
    Straddle the line in discord and rhyme
    I'm on the hunt down I'm after you
    Mouth is alive with juices like wine
    And I'm hungry like the wolf
    Stalked in the forest too close to hide
    I'll be upon you by the moonlight side
    High blood drumming on your skin it's so tight
    You feel my heat I'm just a moment behind
    Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo"

Even reading the lyrics gives me a thrill. Stone. Cold. Classic. Can't say much more.

5/5

2. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

"Hungry Like The Wolf" *****

Another classic single from the Fab Five ushering in the Rio era of videos filmed in exotic locales. This one and the videos for "Save A Prayer" and Rio" are an amazing trio of videos.

3. Scott Davies

Scott Davies Forum Resident

Time for a quick catch up.

Tel Aviv - It's ok, the disco string sound makes it the most dated on the album. The completely different demo version has a dated classic rock sound but I do prefer it to the album version.

Faster Than Light - Absolutely love it. I was first introduced to the song on the 1981 concert recording which I had on bootleg LP at the time and I loved the beat. When I heard the studio version I was a little disappointed in the slower tempo, but still a big fan. And unlike some of the others here, I love the high pitch Simon hits on this track.

My Own Way - I didn't even know the disco original until around 1983 when I saw/heard snippets in some sort of DD special. Like Careless Memories, I don't think MTV in the US ever had a copy of this music video. I was an MTV addict back then and DD were my fave at the time, and I never saw those two music videos until the video album was rented for me in 1985. When I found the My Own Way 12" in 1984 I was ecstatic, but it didn't have a lasting effect on me. It is a very dated disco track. I prefer the Rio and Carnival recordings/remixes. To add to the "meh..." of the single, the B side Like An Angel was pretty forgettable as well.

Since I haven't rated the songs, I will do so now:

Girls of Film - 3
    Planet Earth - 5
    Anyone Out There - 3.5
    To The Shore - 4.5
    Careless Memories - 5
    Night Boat - 4
    Sound of Thunder - 5
    Friends of Mine - 5
    Tel Aviv - 3

Late Bar - 2
    Fame - 2.5
    Khanada - 4.5
    Faster Than Light - 5

My Own Way (Disco single version) 2.5
    Like an Angel - 2

My first copy of the debut was in 1982. I got the Rio album first because it was easy to find but I had to special order the debut to finally get it. I was horrified when I found the Night Version of Planet Earth in place of the video/single version. I wouldn't get the preferred single version until the 1983 reissue with the dreadfully bland new album cover. Plus, I had a crap turntable at the time and the 1983 version kept skipping and had to be returned over and over. The record store said many others were having the same problem.

Blame The Machines likes this.
  4. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Hungry Like the Wolf 5/5. Could be their signature song. It has all elements of the band on top of their game. Andy’s innovative guitar solo sounding like a wolf near the end of the track is one of rock’s finest moments. Nick also nails the synths. Each note is perfectly placed.

5. theholygoof

theholygoof Forum Resident

Nicely said, Bluepicasso. It has to be in the top three signature songs, right? Obviously this is a 5/5 slam dunk for all the reasons stated above!

6. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Hungry Like The Wolf 5/5 - my fave is the Night Version despite the slightly bad editing just before the vocal comes in.

7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Hungry Like the Wolf- Those beautifully layered vocals and the guitar riff can't be beat. It's a rare Duran moment when Andy outshines John as the driving rhythm of the track. Great drum parts by Roger as well.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Hungry Like The Wolf

Hasn't aged well?

9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here Rob, think we discussed this :laugh:
    Was disappointed with Lonely In Your Nightmare as it didn't contain the extra vocal verse. Which I still find odd as it's printed in the original lyric sheets but only found on the K-mix.

Rob9874 likes this.
  10. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Hungry like the wolf, an alltime classic song : 5/5
    the night version 3/5 (should be less)

If anything defines the 80's, new wave, duran duran, mtv, or
    music videos, this song has it all.

I loved it when i first heard, and still haven't gotten tired of it.
    ok, i got tired of the terrible night version (one of the few mistakes they made),
    that and putting it on the 3rd version of Rio for the US. it really doesn't add
    anything to song, except and instrumental intro, when they could have done a lot more.

anyways, referring back to the rio versions site:
    Code:
    Hungry like the wolf. (8 versions)

There are 8 different mixes for 'Hungry Like The Wolf', 
    although there are only 4, if you don't count the 'faded early' 
    and 'sped up' versions as being variant.

Apparently back in 1982, it was quite hard to decide at which 
    speed 'Hungry Like The Wolf' sounded better - at the initial 127 BPM 
    or the up-speeded 132 BPM! If you'll listen closely to each version, 
    you can hear the mastering difference.

Hungry Like The Wolf [Single Version] (3:27)
    Found on the original UK 7" single (EMI 5295), 
    this is simply an edit of the Album Version. 
    It was edited after the second refrain and runs 
    at an approximate 127 BPM. This 'original' Single 
    Version also appears on the Box Set 'THE SINGLES 81-85'
    (7243 5 51728 2 2).

Hungry Like The Wolf (Night Version) (5:14)
    This is an extended remix of the song. 
    It contains additional instrumental sections at the 
    beginning and also extra lyrics towards the end. 
    It runs at an approximate 127 BPM and appears on 
    the UK 12" single (12 EMI 5295), the US issue 
    of 'CARNIVAL' and the third version of the American LP.

Hungry Like The Wolf [Album Version] (3:39)
    The standard Album Version with an approximate 127 BPM.

Hungry Like The Wolf (132 B.P.M.) [Album Version Sped Up] (3:35)
    Oddly, a 3:35 version appears on an American promotional 12" 
    sampler (SPRO-9786/SPRO-9787). This is the standard Album Version, 
    although sped up, and it is even labeled as '132 B.P.M.'.

Hungry Like The Wolf [Single Version Sped Up] (3:23)
    This up-speeded Single Version can be found on the first 
    issue of the US 7" single (B-5134), on 'DECADE' and 'GREATEST'.

Hungry Like The Wolf [Single Version Faded Early] (3:11)
    This is an edit of the 'original' Single Version, fading out early. 
    It can be found on the various artists LP 'CHART ATACK' 
    (STAR 2221) released by Telstar in October of 1982. 
    The album cover of this compilation notes: 
    'To ensure the highest quality reproduction, 
    the running times of some of the titles as originally 
    released have been changed'.

Hungry Like The Wolf (Night Version) [Night Version Sped Up] (5:09)
    Very oddly, a 5:09 sped up Night Version appears on both 
    the Japanese and Dutch vinyl issues of 'CARNIVAL'. 
    It can also be found on the compilations 
    'STRANGE BEHAVIOUR' from 1999 and 
    'THE SINGLES 81-85' from May 2003.

Hungry Like The Wolf [US Album Remix] (4:02)
    This is a remix of the UK Album Version. It has a different 
    laughing at the beginning, the instrumental part 
    after the second refrain is 9 seconds shorter and at the 
    end we have two more refrains than on the UK Album Version. 
    This mix runs also with an approximate 127 BPM. 
    It can be found on the second version of the American LP 
    and was also issued on the US 7" single re-release (B-5195).

This remix, and other tracks would appear on 4 different versions of the Carnival EP,
    and also several variations:
    --------------------------------
    US promo with 132 BPM version:
    [​IMG]

Duran Duran ‎– Hungry Like The Wolf / Rio / Lonely In Your Nightmare
    Label:
    Harvest ‎– SPRO-9786, Harvest ‎– SPRO-9787
    Format:
    Vinyl, 12", 33 ⅓ RPM, Promo
    US
    Released:
    May 1982
    Genre:
    Electronic, Rock
    Style:
    New Wave

Tracklist
    A Hungry Like The Wolf (132 B.P.M) 3:35
    B1 Rio 5:32
    B2 Lonely In Your Nightmare 3:52
    Total Time: 12:59

Japanese 7 inch Number 1:
    Duran Duran = デュラン・デュラン* - Hungry Like The Wolf = ハングリー・ライク・ザ・ウルフ

[​IMG]

Japan number 2:
    デュラン・デュラン* = Duran Duran - ハングリー・ライク・ザ・ウルフ (狼のように飢えて) = Hungry Like The Wolf

[​IMG]

Mexican 7 inch:
    Duran Duran - Hambriento Como El Lobo = Hungry Like The Wolf

[​IMG]

There were multitracks that came from guitar hero, so you could make your own mixes,
    like this one that was mostly instrumental:

later

11. Paul Rymer

So, out of those 8 versions the one I like best seems to be the faster night version that’s on the Japanese carnival, interesting. I hadn’t really appreciated why but it’s always sounded the best to me.

longdist01 and Maffune like this.
  12. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

3/5. Mostly routine but I like the harmonies. That sound is totally their sound.

Sound of Thunder also kicks off a LONG line of songs with weather-related analogies and metaphors. Rain, winter, ice, etc, etc, etc.

13. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

I saw you at the air race, yesterday.

Absolutely love this line. The song is so-so for me from here on out. 3/5

14. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Hungry Like The Wolf ★★
    Had I been caught off guard yesterday, and asked how I feel about "Hungry Like The Wolf", I'd have said I wouldn't mind not hearing the song again ever, and given it a rating suitable to the sentiment. I needed to try and listen to it with fresh ears before rating this one. Today's fresh ears can't change that I don't like Simon's voice here, and the guitar isn't loud enough. But damnit, I'd forgotten how pretty the "in touch with the ground..." bit is, and on live versions Mr Le Bon sounds a lot better. Since I was 3 at the time I will never truly understand what a jaw-dropper this was in '82, but it's clear that it was special. I can't give it a perfect score, and I wouldn't give it 3 out of 5 (which is what I gave "Like An Angel", after all). 4 it is then.

15. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Like An Angel 3/5
    Hungry Like The Wolf 5/5

16. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hungry Like The Wolf - One interesting fact about Duran Duran is that they were the act who appeared on the final episode of both of Channel 4 Friday Night music shows The Tube (1982-87) - at short noticed due to planned star guest James Brown pulling out because he did not "feel good"; & The Word (1990-95) - one of the advantages of your bass player marrying one of the show's presenters Amanda De Cadanet.

And the one song the performed on both shows was ..... Hungry Like The Wolf - both of which were different from the original, yet great in their very different performances & arrangements:

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf (The Tube, 1987)
    Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf - The Tube (last episode ever)

Duran Duran - Hungry Like The Wolf (The Word, 1995)

Rate: 5.0/5 all day long.

17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

5/5, iconic classic for Hungry Like the Wolf. The very sound of 1982 distilled.

BZync likes this.
  18. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

This punked up/ grunge version works surprisingly well.

RevolutionDoctor likes this.
  19. Blame The Machines

[​IMG]
    1. "Rio" - 5:33
    2. "My Own Way" - 4:51
    3. "Lonely In Your Nightmare" - 3:50
    4. "Hungry Like the Wolf" - 3:41
    5. "Hold Back the Rain" - 3:57
    6. "New Religion" - 5:33
    7. "Last Chance on the Stairway" - 4:21
    8. "Save A Prayer" - 5:33
    9. "The Chauffeur" - 5:13

Rio is the second studio album by Duran Duran, released by Capitol-EMI on 10 May 1982. The album was re-released in the USA in November 1982.

The first song to be recorded for Rio was "My Own Way", written and recorded in October 1981, and released as a single in November. The rest of the album was recorded in spring of 1982 at AIR Studios in London, with producer and engineer Colin Thurston. "My Own Way" was re-recorded as well; the album version is significantly different from the single version.

The second single, "Hungry Like the Wolf" was released in the UK on 4 May 1982. It peaked at #5 in the charts on 15 May.

The Rio album was first released worldwide on 10 May, and quickly shot to #2 in the UK on 22 May. The album's distinctive purple cover was painted by artist Patrick Nagel. The cover itself was designed by Malcolm Garrett.

John Taylor takes credit for the title. "[It] was something I had thrown into the mix," he recalled in 2012. He was particularly fascinated with the idea of Brazil, and "Rio, to me, was shorthand for the truly foreign, the exotic, a cornucopia of earthly delights, a party that would never stop."

The band had their own plans and ambitions for promotion. They reunited with director Russell Mulcahy (who had directed the music video for their first single, "Planet Earth"), and planned the release of a full length video album—eleven videos for the best songs off of the Duran Duran and Rio albums. The band travelled to Sri Lanka and Antigua between tour dates to film the memorable videos for the singles "Rio", "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Save a Prayer", as well as the lesser-known "Lonely in Your Nightmare" and "Night Boat" — the latter video being a creepy zombiefest set on a deserted island.

While filming the videos, guitarist Andy Taylor contracted a tropical virus and was hospitalised on his return to England. This forced the delay of the band's European tour, and the record company decided to hold the release of the third single until the band was ready to promote it again.

"Save a Prayer" was finally released on 9 August 1982, and peaked at #2 on the UK charts in mid September 1982. On 1 November 1982, the "Rio" single was released worldwide. It peaked at #9 in the UK in December 1982.

The United States and Canada version was first released on Capitol's Harvest Records label and had the same songs and mixes as the UK version, but did not perform well on the US Billboard chart.

Meanwhile, the band had worked with producer David Kershenbaum to create some new dance mixes for their twelve-inch club singles. In September, EMI collected the remixes and released them on an EP called Carnival. It included the songs "Rio", "Hold Back the Rain", "My Own Way", "Hungry Like the Wolf", and "New Religion", and was released in the United States, Canada, Spain, the Netherlands, Japan and Taiwan.

Following the success of the Kershenbaum remixes, Capitol changed its marketing strategy, selling Duran Duran in the US no longer as a New Romantic band (a British phenomenon) but instead as a dance band. Frustrated with their lack of success in the US, the band capitalised on the moment and pressed Capitol to allow them to issue a remixed and remastered version of the Rio album in the United States and Canada. The company agreed, and brought Kershenbaum back to remix more songs from the album.

Remixed "Night Versions" of "Hungry Like the Wolf" and "Hold Back the Rain" were later released on CD on the Night Versions: The Essential Duran Duran compilation in 1998, and "My Own Way" was released in the 2003 Singles Box Set 1981–1985. On 3 December 1982, the Kershenbaum album remix was used for the "Hungry Like the Wolf" single. This was released in the US some six months after its initial UK release. The single included both the album version and the Carnival remix. It peaked at #3 in the US on 26 March 1983.

Part of the continued success of the album was due to the very popular videos, in heavy rotation on MTV. The video album Duran Duran was released (on VHS, Betamax, and laserdisc) to coincide with the US re-issue of the "Rio" single on 11 March 1983, four months after its original release. This single included the Kershenbaum 7-inch remix of "Rio" and peaked at #14 in US on 14 May 1983.

Until 2009, all official versions of the Rio album released on CD (including the 2001 Enhanced CD remaster) used a version made specifically for the original CD release, which is nearly identical to the original UK album version, but with a shortened version of the video version of "Lonely in Your Nightmare", a previously unreleased alternate version of "Hold Back the Rain", and the UK single version of "Save a Prayer".

The booklet cover for the limited edition of the 2001 remaster (EMI; 529 9240/Capitol; 72435-25919-0-9) used an alternate version of the famous Nagel cover painting, submitted by the artist along with the first when he completed the commission (this image was first used for the Japanese 7-inch single of "My Own Way").

On 7 April 2009, Duran Duran's official website announced that Rio would be reissued as a 2 CD Collector's Edition on 7 September 2009 in the UK, and 6 October 2009 in the US. This edition includes the album's original UK vinyl release tracks, but adds substantially more to make this a definitive edition (including the US Kershenbaum remixes, along with several other tracks that have either never been released in CD form, or were previously released on Singles Box Set 1981–1985). This reissue reached #185 on the UK Albums Chart.

In 2000, Rio was ranked #98 in Q magazine's "100 Greatest British Albums". In 2003, it was listed at #65 in the NME "100 Greatest Albums of All Time". In 2004, CMJ ranked it as #1 in their "Top 20 Most-Played Albums of 1982". In 2008 it was ranked 24th best British album of all time in a joint HMV Q poll. It ranked #95 in Pitchfork's Top 100 Albums of the 1980s,[16] and is included in the list 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die. In April 2013, Rio was voted number 3 in BBC Radio 2's Top 100 Favourite Albums of all time.

Three decades later, John Taylor still held the album in high regard. "The writing on Rio is fantastic, all out. Essential Duran Duran," he recalled in his 2012 memoir, In the Pleasure Groove. He also had high praise for the band's musicianship. "Every one of us is performing ... at the absolute peak of our talents," he wrote. "There is no showboating. Every part is thoughtful, considered, part of a greater whole.

20. Blame The Machines

Which mean the next track is the title track of the band's signature second album:

017 Rio

[​IMG]

"Rio" is the seventh single by Duran Duran. It was first released as a single in Australia, in August 1982, followed by a UK release on 1 November 1982.

The song was the fourth, final, and title single lifted from the band's album of the same name, and was edited for its release. It was issued worldwide in October 1982 and became a Top 10 hit in the UK Singles Chart, peaking at #9 on 11 December 1982.

"Rio" was released as the third single from the album in Australia, and debuted on the Kent Music Report top 100 singles chart dated 6 September 1982.

The song did not attract much notice in the United States upon its initial global release, but received very early airplay at highly influential KROQ in Los Angeles as early as 2 August 1982. After the band's breakthrough hit "Hungry Like the Wolf" stormed MTV and scaled the American charts in December 1982, radio programmers paid closer attention to the catchy melody and insistent, intricate bass line of "Rio", and Capitol Records reissued the single in March 1983 to great success as the band's 2nd US top 20 hit (peaking at #14).

The keyboard pattern for "Rio", well-known among Duran Duran fans and synthesizer enthusiasts, was produced by an arpeggiator—a software tool which can play the individual notes in a chord in a chosen pattern. It was once rumoured that the synthesiser used to achieve this was a Roland Jupiter-8. However, it has been said by Nick Rhodes to actually be a Roland Jupiter-4 using the random mode on the arpeggiator with a Cmaj7 chord.

Rhodes created the unusual sound at the beginning of the song by throwing several small metal rods onto the strings of a grand piano in the studio. The recorded sound was then reversed to create the intro. The laughter on the track was that of Rhodes' girlfriend at the time.

The song's verse was musically inspired by their earlier song "See Me, Repeat Me" and the chorus was taken from "Stevie's Radio Station", a song written by TV Eye which featured singer Andy Wickett who went on to be one of Duran Duran's early singers. The song was a favourite of Nick and John and was incorporated into Duran Duran live sets during Wickett's tenure.

The tenor saxophone solo was performed by Andy Hamilton, who has also worked with Wham! and Elton John amongst others.

Director Russell Mulcahy filmed the vivid music video for "Rio", which featured iconic images of the band in Antony Price suits, singing and playing around on a yacht speeding over the crystal blue Caribbean Sea. The yacht in the music video was the Eilean. Short segments show band members trying to live out their assorted daydreams, only to be teased, tormented, and made fools of by a body-painted vixen Reema Ruspoli.

The music video was shot over the course of three days in May 1982 on the island of Antigua. The yacht scenes were filmed on the bay at English Harbour, the beach scenes at Miller's Beach, and the segment featuring the raft at Shirley Heights. Some close ups were filmed later on the Solent due to a film processing error.

Director Mulcahy originally planned a scene where the band members got chased off the island by people wielding guns, but didn't have enough film stock left to shoot this. He had to borrow a tourist's camera to shoot the part of Nick Rhodes playing a saxophone on a raft. When the video was featured on VH1's Pop-Up Video, it mentions that after the video was completed, Mulcahy, Simon LeBon, and John Taylor went for a swim and were inches away from sharks when the yacht captain yelled for them to get out of the water. Nick Rhodes was reportedly seasick during the filming, and has often said "I hate boats unless they're tied up and you're having cocktails on them."

While in Antigua, the band also filmed a video for the album track "Night Boat", which appeared with "Rio" and nine other videos on the Duran Duran video album released in 1983.

21. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Thanks for a great thread - following!

Duran Duran was one of those "big things" that I mostly ignored during the 80s since they were more "teen girl fare" or so I thought when I was a pre-teen. I went to a few college parties where their music was being played but again it didn't strike me as anything special.

Fast forward many, many years after my ex-punk hangover. I saw a video of "Save a Prayer" on an 80s music DVD compilation and finally got what Duran Duran was about. I've been a big fan since. I have Japanese vinyl pressings of their first four albums and the 12" singles for their first two, along with the Night versions.

22. Paul Rymer

Rio - another 5/5 - prefer the original album mix to any of the multitude of remixes and edits. The video, of course, is superb, and I like the edit towards the end of the song which gives it a bit more urgency.

23. BZync

BZync Senior Member

My Own Way - this single completely passed me by. Was it even played on US radio? I was introduced to this one via the album version. To my ears it is one of the more exciting tracks on an album full of exciting tracks. Great melody. Great energy. 5/5
    Like An Angel - was introduced to this one on some compilation or maybe it was a bonus track sometime about 2000 or so. It's certainly b-side material but it's a good tune. Happy to have it. 3/5
    Hungry Like The Wolf - I originally purchased this on 7" 45 with the Night Version as the b-side. I guess I should briefly discuss MTV at this point. Living in the Bronx at the time we had no access to MTV, but my cousins out on Long Island had it and whenever we visited we spent all day watching videos. I remember seeing this video when it was on MTV but I don't recall that the video drove me to purchase the single. I'm pretty sure it was airplay. Either way, it's one of the defining songs of it's moment. It's still a fantastic track. The big difference I hear between this and previous DD songs is confidence. The entire Rio album sounds like a band who know they are really good and are itching to put out an album to prove it.
    Rio - at this point I wound up buying the album instead of more singles. My memory is that I bought the CD but it seems really early for that (1983). So maybe I bought the vinyl and the CD later. Can't remember. But I know that the Rio CD was one of my earliest CD purchases. Either way the song Rio is another song that defines it's moment for me but pretty much the entire album does. The lyrics sing so beautifully that it took me years to realize how silly the words are. Beautiful nonsense. 5/5

24. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Rio 6/5. I played that album to death. Still put it on for inspiration! Each song weaves into the next, a creative pinnacle of the decade. From the cover to the videos, they arrived. The success they had was truly earned. Been listening to this again, and it is just fantastic. Timeless. Made me a life long fan, hoping a future song would grab this magic.

Rio song 5/5: The changes in the song weave with artistic precision. Inspiring piece of music! Rock, how it should be done!

Blame The Machines and negative1 like this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Rio

I just...hmm...I think I've just overplayed it. Or radio overplayed it. Or MTV.