Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. OhioDuran

OhioDuran Forum Resident

One of Those Days

Parts of the music are OK to me. The break is quite nice. But it just doesn't move me to love it or hate it.

Why all the counting?
    1, 2...
    1, 2...
    ???

2.5/5

Blame The Machines likes this.
  2. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Thorpy, Max Florian and Curveboy like this.
  3. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

One of Those Days - a favourite of mine. It’s has a bit of a Blur feel to it, even Coming Up-era Suede. The intro grates a little but the guitar is fabulous and the vocal melodies are sublime. 4.5/5

4. Record Rotator

Record Rotator A vintage/retro-loving sentimental fool

"One Of Those Days".
    3.5/5.

5. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

One of These Days- Strong cut, interesting arrangement, bass line is pretty melodic with the chord structure. This album holds up , it's just a more "adult" Duran Duran. I don't understand
    the negativity towards it on this thread. Although I hear what many of you are saying about the lyrics and the production.

6. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

"One of Those Days"
    3.5/5

A nice mid-tempo ballad with an "alternative rock" feel and soaring chorus. Instrumentation and feel don't sound especially "DD"-like, but the melody is decent enough.

7. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of Those Days

This is one of those tracks I've not sure whether I like it or not. I can kind of see the Blur & Suede influence, but to my ears this seems more Robbie Williams (Crowded House (chorus) meets Oasis (verse)) sound-a-like. I'll be honest I don't think much of the verse at all; but I think the languid chorus is superb. Plus this is a contender for the least over produced track on the album, which is obviously a good thing.

3.5/5

8. HeavensAbove

It's a good album, and one that I like more than Notorious. One bad track aside (BT), the album has a number of strong highlights and a slew of tracks that are never less than decent, IMO. It's also notable for re-introducing the classic DD "sound" (a hybrid of dance and rock) after a long absence.

9. Blame The Machines

163 Point of No Return

The penultimate track of the Astronaut album (proper) is a moody, harmonic mid-tempo rock number co-produced with Dallas Austin & Nile Rodgers. So presumably this was one of the earliest tracks recorded from the album sessions which made the cut.

Record Rotator, enro99 and omikron like this.
  10. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Point of no Return. 3.5/5. Nick’s keys again lower the rank. Wonder what boards he was using. The rest of the band sounds fine.

11. Record Rotator

"Point Of No Return".
    There's only one other song I love as much (or more) on Astronaut.
    There isn't anything about this captivating track that I dislike.
    Lead & backing vocals, synths, guitars, bass, drums, the production,
    the guys are in perfect sync with each other.
    Lovely.
    4.5/5 or 5/5 (can't make up my mind).

12. HeavensAbove

"Point Of No Return"
    4.5/5

My 2nd favorite of the slower Astronaut tracks after "What Happens Tomorrow." The production is perfect (dig that drum machine loop mixed with Roger's drumming), and the melody is suitably dark and DD-sounding. Very enjoyable.

13. americanscientist

americanscientist Forum Resident

Point of No Return - 4/5: WAY better than I remembered. Didn’t love this one back in 2004 but it has aged beautifully.

Andy’s solo is restrained but so effective. The production is stellar once again; guessing that Nile produced the original incarnation of the song and Dallas give it a final polish in 2004.

Blame The Machines and enro99 like this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Point Of No Return - Amazing song. One of the best if not the best of the album. It’s not overblown, unlike some of the other tracks on the album. Simon’s vocals are perfect. Nick’s synths are restrained and atmospheric, Roger’s drumming is precise and gorgeous on the verse. John’s bass is, like the synths, restrained and flow beautifully and Andy’s guitar is stunning. Love this track so much. 5/5

15. OhioDuran

OhioDuran Forum Resident

Point of No Return

Love this one as well. Such a great adult lyric.

The band has the official "Ask Katy" section of their site where fans ask questions, and this song was the focus of one of the dumber questions I remember on there:

Hi Katy, In “Point Of No Return” there is finger snapping during the beginning music and the middle instrumental. Who is doing the finger snapping? It sounds as though maybe someone is snapping with both hands or someone else is snapping with them. Also, had the band thought of using the finger snapping throughout the whole of the song? It would have been an added “extra” to the music if they had.

Please tell the WILD BOYS to keep doing what they’re doing because no one else can do it better!!! Michael

GOOD EARS – IT WAS NICK SNAPPING, BUT THE BAND ALL DECIDED THEY DIDN’T WANT TO KEEP THE SNAPS ALL THE WAY THROUGH AS THEY THOUGHT IT MIGHT BECOME DISTRACTING.
    Also some lyrics sites show a sixth writer on the track, a Cid Eduardo Meireles. It doesn't seem to be credited that way on any release I have? No idea what the story is there!

5/5

16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

One of Those Days

Didn't recognize the title but remembered the riff when I heard it. This is pretty good!

3/5

17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Point of No Return

Great bass, but not a big fan of the eurotrash chill atmosphere

1/5

18. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Eurotrash Chill? What’s that?

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Eurotrash were bands who did bad 90s dance music...Army of Lovers comes to mind.

20. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Point Of No Return - the rhythm section is just great on this. solid performance all around.

21. Blame The Machines

Point of No Return

^ I agree. That's awful.

Point of No Return

Typical. Late in the album old school Duran Duran show up. This sounds like Lonely In Your Nightmare's oldest brother. It really helps how relatively under-produced this track is, as it allows all the understated musical elements of the band to breathe properly on this great grooving moody track. Andy delivers a great guitar solo to prove he was not always about turning the volume up to 11; whilst Simon does his best Bryan Ferry croon. Having said that I felt they perfected this template on a track two albums down the road.

4.5/5

22. Blame The Machines

164 Still Breathing

"Still Breathing" is a song by Duran Duran, released on the album Astronaut by Epic Records on 11 October 2004.

The last track on the album (proper) was apparently the first recorded which made the album. "This Doors lounge referencing "Save A Prayer"" (JT). Which had a great set of lyrics which have been regarded by some as a commentary about leaving "the Warren years" behind. All Simon would say about them is they were about "abuse". But could be more a commentary about how the band were/are still around.

VH3FAN, Max Florian and omikron like this.
  23. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Point Of No Return: 2/5 Not seeing the hype for this one. For me it's album filler with a moderately interesting chorus. It's really just soothing background noise.

Still Breathing: 4.5/5 Hell yeah! Such a moody song that sounds like a dusty western movie. This also (like One Of Those Days) sounds like Beck could have written this. This is definitely not something in their wheelhouse but they pull this song off nicely. They create a good, mellowed-out vibe. It’s been interesting to hear these slightly epic songs finishing their albums. It's a good formula for them.

24. Record Rotator

"Still Breathing".
    Duran Duran saved the best song for last.
    Wistful, reflective, atmospheric.
    5/5.

25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I prefer the Nu Shooz tune...:hide:

VH3FAN and Max Florian like this.