Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. Dbrouwer

Dbrouwer Well-Known Member

As for the synths:

enro99 and OhioDuran like this.
  2. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Oh I am so glad to be here now . . .

All You Need Is Now

I was really getting worried about the direction of the band after Red Carpet Massacre and even to some extent Astronaut. They were becoming too modern for my tastes. Continuing to chase the latest sounds in an effort to stay relevant. So I have to say, I was blown away with excitement at All You Need Is Now. Here the band chose to faithfully revisit their sound from the early 80s, back when they were pioneering their own sound. For me, the album is an unmitigated success.

Not only from a “sound” perspective was this an amazing album, but the songwriting is also fairly solid. The tracks are at worst average. No duds. Which is surprising as this is also such a long album clocking in at almost an hour and 14 tracks. And this is before bonus tracks.

All You Need Is Now: 4/5 This is kind of a dichotomy for me. On one hand, DD is always looking to evolve and move forward. The sheer amount of change in sound from album to album proves that. These lyrics seem to mirror that as the band doesn’t need to spend time looking to the past. Yet here we are with this song on their most throwback album they’ve ever done. The song starts a little wonky in the sounds department, kind of putting you on edge a bit wondering what are we getting ourselves into. But then that lush chorus section of the song comes in and all is right again in the world.

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I did like Dirty Great Monster...:wiggle:

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

All You Need Is Now- I loved RCM, and played it a lot as well as I ranked it in my top three. It got a lot of play in my world . When info of AYNIN was coming out, I was excited . I liked Mark Ronson's production ( not as much now) , and I liked the concept of a fan producing the record. I liked the concept of trying to replicate the earlier sound .
    I didn't't like the results. I didn't think the songwriting was up to par with RCM . Most of all the material was too retro for me. One song sounded like Plant Earth, another Girls On Film , one the Chauffeur . All this made want to hear the originals instead. I played this record maybe 2-3 times and filled it away.
    So I have fresh ears as we go through it.
    The title track- didn't like it at the time, enjoyed it today.

Max Florian likes this.
  5. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

All You Need is Now - the album
    I prefer the 9-track version over the 14 track version as the latter dilutes the quality somewhat. I’m not a big fan of some of the “bonus” tracks. The 9-track version was far more cohesive and I wish they’d stick to a max of 10 songs per album; it makes them far more memorable. Quality over quantity, etc. The artwork is a bit dodgy but that’s NR for you. However, it is a great album of songs and I’m looking forward to it one day coming out on vinyl again.

AYNIN - The song. The intro and verse is pure Depeche Mode and that’s no bad thing. You can easily imagine Dave Gahan singing this. The chorus less so. However, despite the DM sound, it still sounds like Duran and when I first heard it, it brought a big grin to my face. A great start. 4/5

enro99, HeavensAbove, omikron and 2 others like this.
  6. americanscientist

americanscientist Forum Resident

Here's hoping we can lure the OP back with....

185. Blame The Machines

"Blame the Machines" is a song by Duran Duran, released on the All You Need Is Now album (iTunes download) on 21 December 2010 and on 21/22 March 2011 (CD version). The song was co-written by Duran Duran with Dom Brown and co-produced by the band and Mark Ronson.

The song is based on a news story from Germany about a man who followed his satellite navigation device and ended up driving the wrong way on the autobahn. The song is a commentary on how reliant the world has become on technology, always assuming that the machines will be right.

The song is reminiscent of the band's early material and features British newscaster Nina Hossain performing the sat-nav vocals.

Band comments

Simon:

This started off sounding like a Black Sabbath song but then got tempered by the keyboards – which is always what gives us our particular blend.

John:

The title came from one of Nick’s and my silly games, the idea being, “What would we call our offshoot electro ensemble?” The answer was “Blame The Machines”, which Mark loved. The lyric idea followed on from that, basing it on a story in the Herald Tribune about a German driver who was killed when his GPS sent him the wrong way up a freeway off-ramp.

enro99, OhioDuran, omikron and 2 others like this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Blame The Machines

Such a great groove and sounds like a missing b-side from the first two albums. Love the screeching tire type samples between the verses.

4/5

Bluepicasso and omikron like this.
  8. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Definitely. The 9-track configuration is stronger than the longer deluxe edition, and maintains a consistently high quality befitting of an imaginary sequel to Rio.

enro99 and Guapito like this.
  9. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

"Blame The Machines"
    4/5

Not much to add, other than to say that this was the most classic/almost stereotypical DD-circa 1982 sounding track I had heard in a long time. Awesome song!

Bluepicasso, omikron and Curveboy like this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Blame The Machines:

This was virtually the song that got me back on track after virtually decades. I remember my then girlfriend playing it (while cleaning the house) and thinking: "Wow! That sounds great!" I immediately investigated and also thought the title was fantastic.

What can I say? A classic sounding tune that transports some of DDs trademark excitement. Almost 30 years later. One of my favourite tunes by this band.

5/ 5

11. Dbrouwer

Blame The Machines:

Great song, nice pace, original concept with the NAV-voice and very well implemented into the song. Prime example of how well a Duran-song can sound if it is based around a concept and is not overproduced. Bass, synths, guitar, drums, vocals, you can hear them all, bonafide Duran. Also love the return of the Crumar Performer, a big part of the original Nick Rhodes' sound. Wasn't the album almost called Blame The Machines?

12. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

find a way/place for "too bad you're so beautiful" and you got me.

13. americanscientist

Easy...cut the mediocre Safe and sub in the superior Too Bad and you have a virtually flawless 9 track album

OhioDuran likes this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

T
    ☝ This

Elliott908 likes this.
  15. fictionalsounds

either "safe" or "girl panic!"
    would almost keep "safe" simply because we already have "girls on film."

16. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Blame the Machines 4.5/5. The Duran I love is crawling around in this song, making it an ear worm. Wish the OP of this thread would comment on his namesake.

17. Dbrouwer

And omit Mediterranea? Nahhhhh.

18. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I know! Mediterránea is such a great song and it pains me to leave it out, so it would be an track 10.
    However, I do kind of think of it as a stand-alone somehow; it was released as a gift for the “12 days of Xmas” campaign that iTunes did that Xmas as it’s theme is not as dark as the rest of the album.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  19. americanscientist

Blame The Machines: my only gripe is once again with Nick; the post chorus synths have always grated on my ears.

Other than that, the production is incredible.

You can hear every band member again and it’s a revelation, especially after the stew that was Astronaut. And even if it wasn’t Andy, it was great to hear the guitar mixed so prominently.

This sounded amazing coming out of the stereo today.

4/5

Neonbeam and enro99 like this.
  20. fictionalsounds

the keys are great, sounds exactly like a machine breaking down!!

21. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Blame The machines- It's just silly, isn't it.

22. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I like the song, but the singing gets a little irritating at times. Otherwise, good song! 3.5/5

23. americanscientist

186. Being Followed

"Being Followed" is a song by Duran Duran, released on the All You Need Is Now album (iTunes download) on 21 December 2010 and on 21/22 March 2011 (CD version). Once again, the song was co-written by Dom Brown and Duran Duran as well as as co-produced by Duran Duran and Mark Ronson.

The song is about Google surveillance and Orwell's 1984, that focuses on the loss of privacy and anxiety of our times.

Mark Ronson premiered part of the track on his East Village Radio show broadcast on 5 November 2010.

Band comments
    Nick:
    I like the anxiety and paranoia in it; how it comments on the way that society now is all about this constant surveillance. And that spy-movie guitar is pure Bond.
    Simon:
    It started off as this sort of Eastern European spy story, but we widened that into CCTV, and this sense of constantly being watched. But it still has that atmosphere of being stalked.
    John:
    Simon showed up with a lyric about surveillance and the lack of personal privacy in London today, a subject about which he can be quite passionate.

omikron likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Being Followed

This one is a bit on the obvious/fan service side with a number of throwbacks to previous DD tunes. Not bad, just not as creative as some of the other tracks.

3/5

Chris Bernhardt and omikron like this.
  25. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Being Followed. 4.5/5. An excellent song. Everything right with is Duran is right with this song. Upon first listen, I knew the rest of the album would be a cracker.

omikron likes this.