Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

Sorry. But RTW will appreciate it :)

RTW likes this.
  2. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

I happen to have resequenced the Paper Gods album to my liking, and I have to say having LNitC as the penultimate song just before The Universe Alone works wonderfully. It really sets this unloved song off and its power, such as it is, comes to the fore. A party celebration for the end of the world!

3. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

=
    Interesting. Another Depeche sounding song, without the vocals. This could have been a lot better with different vocals.

4. americanscientist

americanscientist Forum Resident

206. You Kill Me With Silence

"You Kill Me With Silence" is a song by Duran Duran, released from the album Paper Gods by Warner Bros. Records on YouTube on 14 August 2015.

"You Kill Me With Silence" was released in Digital format to outlets when customers pre-ordered the digital format of Paper Gods; they released "Paper Gods" (feat. Mr Hudson) on the same day.

This is a product of the band’s first writing session with Mr Hudson. The track features an echoey chorus that evokes vintage Duran Duran, while sinister synths and the use of keyboard bass give it a thoroughly modern feel.

According to Hudson, the song germinated with Roger, who experimented with sounds and rhythmic patterns, produced with both live and electric drums.

Max Florian likes this.
  5. Bluepicasso

You Kill Me With Silence. 4.5/5. Docked half a point for the cheesy beginning keys. Yet, this song is gracefully moody. When the chorus sets in, I’m flashed back in time to early Duran. Lovely piece of work. Nick makes up for it with savagery at the end.

Max Florian likes this.
  6. Sea Within a Sea

Sea Within a Sea Forum Resident

"You Kill Me With Silence"

4/5

Good song, but I always hear it in my mind as "You Blind Me With Science."

Science!

Max Florian likes this.
  7. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

You Kill Me With Silence- along with the title track I rank up with their best work.excellent performance by Simon.

Max Florian likes this.
  8. Adegan

Adegan Forum Resident

I'm a bit behind with my comments and ratings, especially with the last few songs for AYNIN to which I will address a bit later, same goes with tracks from Paper Gods. But what I really, really, really disliked about the album Paper Gods was the truly lazy artwork for the album. I mean, really? You're taking recognizable icons from points in the bands recording history and slapping them on a bluish / pinkish background and saying, "Here's the artwork to represent the new album." This is the not artwork of an album proper, but artwork suited to a "greatest hits" or "best hits" album. It really was a let down - and I'll tackle the music as well which didn't quite hold up for me.

9. RTW

RTW Forum Resident

Re: the artwork, I do agree. It goes hand in hand with Warren’s comment about them becoming a brand rather than a band.

What I don’t love is most of the iconography comes from the Rio era so it’s not comprehensive. Even on Medazzaland, the image of Rio herself was defaced to make some kind of relevant statement.

Bluepicasso, omikron and DuranS like this.
  10. OhioDuran

OhioDuran Forum Resident

Paper Gods

The music is really unique not just for Duran, but for pop and rock in general. It's menacing, quiet musically, loud vocally, interesting as hell. The vocals and lyrics are fantastic. Same with all of the instrumentation, the guitar break is so sublime.

Every once in a while I think it should be a minute shorter, but I can't tell what minute should be cut!

Amazing to see it live.

4.5/5

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  11. DuranS

DuranS Member

I've got a feeling that they tend to deny some periods of their history, as well as the publicity does. They are somehow ashamed of them. I just remember the documentary about them, which was shot in 2018. There were no words about Big Thing, Liberty, Warren and later albums with him. Even when they discuss Come Undone, no one word was about of the main insprirators of this song. That looks rediciluos in my opinion.

12. OhioDuran

OhioDuran Forum Resident

Last Night in the City

I guess I'm not surprised at the reaction to this track. It's fairly shout-y and polarizingly dance-y. I love it, love a few of the remixes as well. Kiesza has an amazing voice, don't think that any of it is autotuned as suggested here.

John was watching sidestage at a Kiesza show I attended, and he was having the time of his life. Wish I had taken a pic of him grooving out to the show. Reportedly after the show is when he asked her to guest on the album.

For me, it's a driving track. It's surprising that Simon uses full vocal power at his age, but I love it. The Today show performance is fairly great sounding to me:

4.5/5

Max Florian likes this.
  13. OhioDuran

OhioDuran Forum Resident

You Kill Me With Silence

I love this track. Very experimental, amazing lyrics, amazing buildup leading to one of my favorite outros in Duran history. The guitar/synth/bass combo with the drum buildup is so great.

5/5

Max Florian likes this.
  14. americanscientist

americanscientist Forum Resident

You Kill With Silence: other than the cringe-y electronic drums at the beginning, this is a very strong album track.

That synth opening comes across like a more menacing version of The Chauffeur and I am a little surprised it has not been sampled yet by a hip hop artists. It might be on Lil Nas X's radar though and may hear it used over the next few years. ;)

The beat sounds like a more organic version of what was attempted with Danja and Timbaland back on RCM. Meanwhile, the chorus could be lifted from a vintage 10cc album. Very few contemporaries of DD would attempt a song like this, let alone pull it off.

4/5

Chris Bernhardt and Max Florian like this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Oh good call on DM! I never picked up on it but its totally clear now.

Paper Gods

3/5

Bluepicasso likes this.
  16. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Last Night In The City

Instantly forgettable

1/5

omikron, Bluepicasso and DuranS like this.
  17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

OK, I've got the vinyl so I can revisit this album!

Pressure Off:

Clearly beat driven but in a good way. Sounds a bit like "Big Thing" period.

4/ 5

Paper Gods

Wow, this is instantly - or as "instantly" as a seven minutes track can be - great. Love the floating quality and the ambience. Interesting choice for an opener!

4,5 / 5

Last Night In The City:

Echoes of "Notorious" - the album - but the production and choice of guest vocalist makes sure they don't sound like some older blokes trying to jump some bandwagon.

3,5/ 5

You Kill Me With Silence:

Some very nice bass on this album and I generally like the production. It's "contemporary" - in an unforced way - yet dreamy. Simon hitting high notes.... well ok.

4/5

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You Kill Me With Silence

I have to admit this is one of my least listened to DD albums...it was such a let down after their work with Ronson.
    But this is a great tune and would have fit in nicely with the last album.

4/5

Neonbeam likes this.
  19. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Playing catch-up. Although some of the tracks on PG are not considered DD's best, SLB's vocal performances are top-notch throughout the album.

"Paper Gods"
    4.5/5

Brave/uncommercial choice for an opening track. Very epic-sounding.

"Last Night In The City"
    3/5

Not a favorite, but I'm not as offended by this as some other posters in this thread. Was probably intended as a current/trendy track, but sounded dated by the time it was released.

"You Kill Me With Silence"
    3.5/5

Decent synthy ballad.

20. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

Still processing but I will agree with the couple individuals who mentioned it: EDM. Yes, this is what I was trying to think of when referring to this music as beat-driven. Thank you. I knew I wasn't really characterizing it right.

Paper Gods: 2.5/5 I'm kind of with them in the start of the album with this song. At least this song dares to be a little different. The beginning intro is almost like Gregorian chant in its delivery. It sort of reminds me of David Bowie’s Sunday from his Heathen album. The song is fairly forgettable though and average at best.

Last Night In The City: 0/5 Just not going to do it for me.

You Kill Me With Silence: 1.5/5 Wannabe Chauffeur sounds aren’t enough to guilt me into liking this one much at all.

Pressure Off: 1/5 Sadly I really find this song very boring. At least I did not give it a 0.

Curveboy likes this.
  21. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

You Kill Me With Silence - first time I’ve heard it in a while. Weirdly it sounds better on my iPad than in my car! WTF?!

I’m not a big fan of the intro as it’s too much like The Chauffeur. The verse is good but the chorus is fantastic. I’m going to have to dig out my vinyl copy and give it a spin with the headphones on. Good song. 4/5

22. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

wish i had vinyl just to check out the last chorus and outro, the way nick’s keys distort against the groove and john tosses in complimentary bass runs at the end of the phrases. good stuff.

Max Florian likes this.
  23. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Re: the artwork. Yep, it’s ****e and more akin to a Greatest Hits. They need to rein in Mr Rhodes. He’s the main perpetrator. Leave it to a proper designer.

24. Bluepicasso

==
    I do like the typeset, and the design for Duran itself. They could have just let the “stickers” off. Better.

25. MrOktober

MrOktober Active Member

Good call with the 10cc reference. Chorus is reminiscent of "The Things We Do For Love" especially the "Ooh you made me love you" part.