Duran Duran - song-by-song rate & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Blame The Machines, May 5, 2019.

1. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

Love careless memories, another great song : 5/5
    =============
    Very haunting sound, the lyrics, with the strings over them.
    Simon has a nice angry tone in his voice, and the keyboards, drums and
    guitars all mesh in satisfying way.

The 12 inch never made it out to the US (only as a promo), or Japan.
    [​IMG]
    we got : is anyone out there, and girls on film as b-sides though

for the UK and Europe, it had fame - which i never cared for
    and the really cool, but strange khanada as b-sides.

there was also the with compliments promo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the big disappointment was there was no night mix for it,
    although some fanmixes are pretty good:

later

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  2. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

Careless Memories - If any song better exemplifies Chic meets The Sex Pistols I've yet to hear it. Quite possibly the best Disco Punk fusion record ever made. I completely understand why EMI Records picked it as the second single, and I just don't get why this was not a major hit single. The only thing I can think of is it sounded better Live. Whether in 1984 on As The Lights Go Down/Arena; or in my view the superior, definitive 2004 Live In London DVD version (with the excellent Anime background video) 5.0/5

keifspoon and Denim Chicken like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

This was one of those songs.... back in 1984 when "Wild Boys" was everywhere, there suddenly was this whole bunch of older Duran Duran videos on MTV and I was just wondering how much stuff they already had out.

"Careless Memories" was another fantastic song/ video, really love the early style of the band. And still would love to know how important David Sylvian was for Nick and his choice of make up.:evil:

Rate? At the time probably 4/5, in 2019 5/5.

Rochdale3 and Blame The Machines like this.
  4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Nice to see "Ordinary World" at number one. If pressed I'd probably say it's my favourite Duran Duran song. So beautiful and melancholy. And for those who don't know written about a friend of Simon's who died.

The sequencer line from "Planet Earth" was "inspired by" the Moroder style sequencer from "Quiet Life". Would explain David Sylvian's reaction.

"Careless Memories" ****

A great track and love that they rock out a bit more than usual

Blame The Machines and Phil12 like this.
  5. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Careless Memories 5/5
    Easily my favorite song off this album.

Blame The Machines likes this.
  6. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Can you say exactly what it is you're hearing? Because when I listen to Careless Memories I'm not getting Good Times, Everybody Dance or Holidays In The Sun... I'm uber literal, I know but I don't hear either disco or punk in Careless Memories... er, is this a bit like wine-tasting? :D

7. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Duran Duran were heavily influenced by Chic

Duran Duran co-founder and bassist John Taylor remembers when the band formed in the late 1970s. On early songs such as “Planet Earth” and “Girls on Film,” he wanted to emulate the tight groove he heard Chic’s core instrumentalists, including guitarist Rodgers, bassist Bernard Edwards and drummer Tony Thompson, play on songs like “Good Times” and “Dance, Dance, Dance.”

“It was unusual for a post-punk band from England to be talking about a disco band as a major influence,” Taylor says. “Chic were gods. To us, they represented the absolute acme of musicianship, versatility and control.”

8. Hollow Horse

That's all very well and may be factual but phonically I hear no resemblance in the song to them or indeed, Sex Pistols.

Listening to the rhythm in Careless Memories it makes me think of Ultravox's "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes" but I wouldn't associate that with disoc, see?

It's not a criticism or a challenge, we all hear things differently and how tiring it would be if we all heard the same things.

9. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I'm not necessarily hearing disco either just pointing out Chic was a major influence.

10. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The first album also is a transition on where is DD going to be next. A art band like Japan/ Ultravox or a commercial group that they became.

BZync likes this.
  11. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

The rhythm section play like the Chic rhythm section. It's very prevalent.

12. Bluepicasso

Bluepicasso Android Confused

Careless Memories 5/5. Love the version they did on their comeback tour in 2004/05. Looking at those gigs with Andy, he is sorely missed. Nick needed to come off his pulpit and let him play. The guitar here made the band far superior that any of the contemporaries...

EasyEB and Blame The Machines like this.
  13. Hollow Horse

Always important to have humour on the forum.

14. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This was pretty much my favourite Duran Duran song. It had this very cool rock thing going on, and at the time it came out I pretty much only listened to rock. I appreciated the bands pop songs, but this song made me more interested in the band, and as these crossover type songs work, it helped me embrace the new romantic movement a little more than I probably would have otherwise.
    There is more drama on here, more guitar, and a really nice beat and rhythm.

In the late eighties early nineties ... whatever it was, I don't remember, I picked up the Arena live cd, and I never understood what was going on at the end of this song on there.... Maybe someone on here can give me the lowdown on that. It had this weird thing going on where it seemed like a fade, but it wasn't ... it always sounded like a disc error to me.

Anyway, this was a great song.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I can see that...especially with John's bass. Sometimes it's the blending of unexpected influences that make something new and creative.

16. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

There was a lot of funk and rock incorporated into the New Romantic sound. Plenty of guitar on the Visage and early Ultravox albums and funk on the early Spandau Ballet albums. Duran Duran were art rock on the debut and moved into arty pop on Rio -similar progression to that of Roxy Music and Japan.

17. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

:righton:One of the greatest songs of the past three decades.

AFOS likes this.
  18. Blame The Machines

Blame The Machines Forum Resident Thread Starter

004 Khanada

Released as the B-side to their second single "Careless Memories" by Capitol-EMI on 20 April 1981.
    Aside from the version on the "Careless Memories" single, no other studio versions are known to have been recorded.

There is a live arrangement that features a slightly faster tempo and extended ending with an aggressive guitar solo, which interpolates the sitar part from the original studio version. This live version was performed in 1981 and has appeared on numerous unofficial recordings, noteably the Live at Hammersmith Odeon (17th December 1981).

maywitch and negative1 like this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Khanada

Probably enjoy this more today than I did back then...it's a decent b-side. Sounds like a kitchen sink type song where they just threw everything in.

20. Hollow Horse

I leave the discussion anyway after My Own Way and Hungry Like The Wolf. Can't think of anything I cared for after that. As for Ordinary World, I prefer it THIS way.

21. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Khanada ★★★
    Another one I first heard via Audiogalaxy. I quite like the chorus, with Andy's guitar and the different vocal parts blending like different watercolours, but the verses are a bit weak. Imperfections aside, it wouldn't have fit on the album so they made the right call putting it on the b-side.

negative1 and Curveboy like this.
  22. manco

manco Forum Resident

23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Andy pulled no punches in his memoir - no love lost between him and Nick.

Bluepicasso likes this.
  24. Paul Rymer

Paul Rymer Forum Resident

Khanada - another early b-side favourite 4/5

Jet Age Eric likes this.
  25. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

It's had an official release as well, albeit only as a download. It's available in lossless quality on Qobuz (along with a few other live recordings).

Blame The Machines likes this.