Duran Duran's Rio Turns 40

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, May 8, 2022.

1. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

The UK Cassette inlay card and the European one are the same. I had the UK cassette and it’s identical to the European one in the photo. It also has the UK serial number.

The original UK mix of RIO was not released on CD until the 2009 rerelease came out. Prior to that, every one I encountered had different versions of Lonely In Your Nightmare, Hold Back The Rain and Save A Prayer.

When EMI released the 2001 remaster, I was massively disappointed as yet again it featured a different mix from the original UK ‘82 mix. I understand they project team had a difficult time sorting out the masters but surely it would have occurred to them to seek out an old UK LP and/or cassette and gain some guidance from there? It wasn’t a great remaster either. On CD, I have found the best to be the 1987 Italian pressed (weirdly the disc has EMI Swindon on it) CD and the 2009 collector’s edition. I have never heard the Japanese versions which I understand are superior. On vinyl, I have both the 1982 UK version, as well as the 2014 repress of the Deluxe 2LP. Both are very good.

There is a RIO Wiki, which is pretty good and helps work out the various versions.

Great work!

Dan C likes this.
  2. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Decade used the shorter UK single versions. The album version of SAP could not be found on CD until the 2009 remaster came out. Greatest used the US single versions which were butchered. Save A Prayer is missing two halves of a verse!

Andrew Preview and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

I should have checked before posting! :doh:

EG.

Andrew Preview likes this.
  4. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

So should I - sorry if I confused things worse.

I will say this. I hated my US cd and only ever played my US cassette with the K-mixes!

c-eling and Andrew Preview like this.
  5. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

What a mess. No wonder Cory has had to buy so many copies....:D

c-eling and Andrew Preview like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Funny but all these years later, I'm still ticked off about Decade comp. Not only because of those shorter versions, but mostly because it egregiously left off "New Moon On Monday". :sigh:

7. Andrew Preview

Andrew Preview Forum Resident

I wonder how much our preferences are shaped by the versions we heard first. I prefer the original UK album by a large margin.

Guapito and JeffMo like this.
  8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well, I’ve heard the 1983 US version of “Duran Duran” first and I can’t say I’m preferring it over the original.

theholygoof and c-eling like this.
  9. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes but that was a weird tracklist sticking on the 1983 hit radio single into the moody post punk 1981 album. That was so jarring!

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'm not a fan of Too The Shore Oliver, so the inclusion of Something was welcome when I first heard it. :)

negative1 and Neonbeam like this.
  11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Yeah, but it’s like finding liquorice on your tuna pizza. :hurl:And I love liquorice!

Guapito and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

:laugh: And that I do!
    Awhile back I tried comparing the old UK LP mixes to the CD, the mix differences may be so minor I missed them or weren't interesting enough to care about.
    The US K-Mix on cassette was what I grew up with also. They should of at least used the full length with extra verse Lonely In Your Nightmare for the debut CD.

JeffMo and Neonbeam like this.
  13. c-eling

:laugh:
    Yeah, Yeah- I rectified it a couple years ago with one that included everything, so all is well now :cool:
    [​IMG]

negative1, Eric_Generic and Neonbeam like this.
  14. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Lol. That’s pretty good but you should have also removed the Ian Little credit.

15. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

I grew up with the UK album, so when I heard the US version, I was like WTF? Not in a bad way, but I find it a bit brash. Great as a remix, but not an album. To me the UK one flows better. I do like the enhanced guitars on Hold Back The Rain though!

Andrew Preview likes this.