Duran Duran's Signature Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Jan 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arriano

arriano The California Kid

I'll forever remember a friend at the time singing "This song's named 'Rio' and it's sung by Duran Duran...."

2. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Save a prayer

mtvgeneration likes this.
  3. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

Hungry Like The Wolf.

4. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

My favorite is Save a Prayer but Hungry is their signature -anyone arguing that doesn't know DD or the 80's. It even tops Rio which would come in second.

5. Guapito

Guapito Forum Resident

Hungry Like The Wolf in the US and Rio in the UK. Rest of the world? Who knows but Save A Prayer and Notorious were pretty popular. Wild Boys in Germany and Spain.

6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

OP already discussed how he made his choices. People need to get off of OP's back! :D

Maffune likes this.
  7. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

Agree. If I had lived in the UK at that time, and the options were available, I would probably have selected one of these very early hit songs as their signature song. I personally don't really see their later hits as signature songs (1989 or later).

8. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Fair enough. I see...

But then...

Oh dear... :laugh:

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I voted for 'Rio'(would consider 'Save a Prayer' as my 2nd Choice since 'Girls on Film' is not in the Poll), but was curious if RBG would be on this Forum some time when on break from her SCOTUS Work to cast a Vote for 'Notorious'.

10. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident

Girls on Film is one of those songs where you wake up one morning and think to yourself - that song's so simple I could have written it.

But you didn't.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

As you and I discussed separately, this is a US-centered board - and I'm a US-centered board member! So there's gonna be that US slant to a lot of content.

Anyways, I get the complaints about the picks, but I feel that even if I'd included the "missing" songs, the results would be pretty much the same. "Girls on Film" and "Planet Earth" mighta chugged down a few votes but not even to move the needle...

12. Hollow Horse

Hollow Horse To pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Think that's a bit of a cheap shot tbf - all it's saying is that they wouldn't cut it in the US and I reckon differently. Another thing would be where is My Own Way (one of their very best singles) so I'll make a Duran Duran singles poll and see how it goes. :p

13. drobo

drobo Forum Resident

How bout the one with the video,,”Girls On Film”. I think that’s what Duran was all about.

14. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident

How about that video for Girls on Film? I've been on a Louise London tear ever since yesterday morning, after discovering 37 years later that it is she who is the spunky brunette in the Godley & Creme masterpiece. But I'm completely flummoxed by the following: The scene I remember her in appears to be a figment of my imagination. I've watched both the unrated and the MTV version of the video and she's all over it -- and I'd completely forgotten all those other scenes with her. But the one I thought I'd remembered is nowhere to be seen.

In my memory, Louise is strutting around the ring holding a card indicating which round is about to take place. She's in that same black one-piece in which she appears in her "bout" and she saunters around with the camera shooting her mid-range.

This is so perplexing. She's all over this video but not in the one scene I remember vividly.

Can anyone clarify this? Do you know what I'm talking about? Is there a third version of GOF that can be found elsewhere to support my memory?

15. AllOverTheMap

AllOverTheMap Forum Resident

Just joined the board and must say that this and the four posts which preceded it represents some of the best forum-reading I've ever experienced on the internet. And I've never bought or downloaded a single DooDoo RanRan song. But after perusing this epic and thoroughly informed post, that might have to change.

Markyp and mr_spenalzo like this.
  16. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

17. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

I recall that scene, even though it is only about 2 seconds long. This IS perplexing! I watched the uncut vid and thought for sure it would have been there.

Duran Duran - Girls On Film (Long Uncensored Version)

18. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

[​IMG]

There is a THIRD video. Read this:

“Some People Will Do Anything To Sell Records”

Some people will do anything…

cquiller1 and mtvgeneration like this.
  19. cut to the chase

cut to the chase Forum Resident

In Germany it's definitely 'Wild Boys', their only number one single here.

Max Florian and Curveboy like this.
  20. dAlost

dAlost for the love of cheese cookies

for me it is The Chauffeur (sing blue silver)

Gavaxeman likes this.
  21. CrystalCore

CrystalCore Forum Resident

If Barbarella ever gets remade, Duran Duran can do the soundtrack.

(Duran Duran's name apparently comes from the villain of the Barbarella comic book "Durand Durand").

22. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

This was the moment for me. Unforgettable
    [​IMG]

Max Florian likes this.
  23. subtemple

subtemple Well-Known Member

I can't image it not being "Hungry Like the Wolf", at least that's the most recognizable in America

24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Wolf stands out by a mile

Like lots of the singles with the exception of The Reflex, RIO & Wild Boys. I'll pass on those

25. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Yeah, Notorious wasn't a great song despite all its promotion

Curveboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.