Dusty Springfield "In Memphis" sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rednoise, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Keith Crist

Keith Crist New Member

Hi, are you still looking for a copy? I have a NM one in shrink available

Fender Relic likes this.
  2. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

3. smallworld

smallworld Forum Resident

Yes, thanks for the link. I heard it a number of weeks ago. I'm surprised Dusty replaced the original drums - they have much more of an impact than the ones used on the stereo mix.

The Mike Rashkow quote is interesting:

I wonder if the original elements still exist. They could probably more easily create a new mono and stereo mix with Bernard Purdie's drums in the digital age.

4. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Always assumed the sound issues were due, at least in part, to the way it was recorded. She was supposedly so overwhelmed by being at the studio where Jerry Wexler and Aretha made magic that she bolted, and Wexler had to nail down her vocals separately.

It's hard to tell that on most of the album, though it really sounds on "Windmills of Your Mind" like it's three different sessions/speeds edited together!

Also find the sound issues interesting in light of the rumors/assumptions that Dusty herself produced a lot of her earlier songs - that Johnny Franz was supposedly producer in name only.

5. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

According to whatrecords in the UK, Dusty in Memphis is being re-issued again on vinyl on 16th Feb on UMC.

Anyone know anything about this one?

6. Yes, it certainly won't be the AP set and therefore won't be the one you want / 'need'! ;)

7. The weird thing is (when looking at other songs) that the 18.4 kHz tone comes in right before she starts singing. It appears that it is part of the vocal track.

8. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I had the 4MWB version, then I got the AP 45rpm and have never looked back, this album just sounds incredible in this version and it's one of mine and my Wife's favourite albums of all time.

Not heard the original so can't comment how it compares to that.

FashionBoy likes this.
  9. mfurbu

mfurbu New Member

Just listened to my copy last night...an Atlantic first U.S. pressing. Sounds pretty terrific to me, vocals are nice and smooth, I don't hear the pinch at all, her voice is warm on every track, the instruments punchy and present but never overbearing. I highly recommend seeking out an original vinyl pressing.

Stone Turntable and shutdown66 like this.
  10. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

yesstiles and speedracer like this.
  11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I have sold all my copies after I got the AP SACD. The search is over.

FashionBoy, RSteven and SteveM like this.
  12. I'm not sure the SACD can be improved upon. Get it while the disc is still cheaply available.

art, RSteven and tmtomh like this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

+1

RSteven likes this.
  14. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

There’s a new Abbey Road half speed remastered vinyl coming soon.....

Goggen likes this.
  15. It won't be the AP. The SACD is amazing but their 45rpm set is out of this world.

FashionBoy likes this.
  16. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Anybody heard the newly released Abbey Road half speed remaster?

Om likes this.
  17. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

Yes, very nice. Wide open and deep. I prefer it to my AP SACD, some might prefer the focus of the latter.

Om likes this.
  18. Om

Om Make Your Own Kind Of Music

I have to say picking up this album again this weekend, I have to agree this is how I’ve always felt. Her vocals are detached with a strange echo.

A great example of the right way to record a female vocalist from the same time period, you listen to everything that came out of Pye Studios in regards to Petula Clark. They always made her sound amazing in the studio. “I Couldn’t Live Without Your Love”, wow!

It’s too bad because the orchestra on Dusty In Memphis completely overpowers her vocals. This is an album that would be an amazing candidate for a remix. I would love to hear Dusty’s untouched and raw vocals. Get rid of the Phil Spector orchestra. Would be real interesting to hear a stripped down version.

19. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Which version are you listening to?

I’ve got an original Atlantic pressing and the AP 45 and what you say you’re hearing (and what th OP reported re the Rhino Deluxe) is far different from the album I’m hearing. While DIM is not exactly Aja or some audiophile spectacular, for a late-60's pop album it sounds wonderful to me. I can listen to either version straight through without ever thinking there's something weirdly off or wrong.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  20. Om

Turns out I’m listening to ‘99 Rhino.

21. Om

I may have to go out and buy these versions discussed in the thread. However I’m listening to the mono mix of Memphis right now on iTunes, and I’m really liking it more than the stereo Rhino CD that I have. Her vocals are punchy front and center on the mono. The stereo on iTunes is also unfortunately the ‘99 Rhino deluxe edition.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  22. AP and you're done. Nothing else is in the ball park. Nothing. Not even first pressings.

FJFP and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. Timos

Timos Forum resident

Anyone know why the US version of the album got a completely different cover to the rest of the world?

For the record (excuse the pun), I prefer the greeny international sleeve. It’s a weird image for an album cover on the US copy.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I managed to get a nice UK Philips original of Dusty In Memphis a couple of weeks ago and it's the best I've heard this album sound, particularly the clarity of Dusty's vocals.

After having a couple of CDs including the 2002 remaster and the current Mercury vinyl reissue which I only played once, I'm finally happy and set for Dusty In Memphis in my collection.

ClausH, speedracer and bluemooze like this.
  25. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

x2.

Man at C&A likes this.