Dusty Springfield remasters: opinions, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

I've just been listening to the 2002 CD reissue of Dusty in Memphis (Mercury 063 297-2), which was remastered by Gary Moore, and it sounds pretty good compared to other Dusty CDs.

A few years ago I picked up several other CD reissues that were all remastered by Roger Wake:
    A Girl Called Dusty
    Everything's Coming Up Dusty
    Where Am I Going
    Dusty... Definitely
    From Dusty... with Love
    See All Her Faces
    Cameo
    Living without Your Love

and I can't say I'm very enthusiastic.

Can anyone recommend any Dusty CDs with decent sound? I did a search before I posted this, but all I could find were rather old threads, and I thought an update might be in order.

2. Jay

Jay New Member

I have DUSTY SPRINGFIELD: THE SILVER COLLECTION, Philips 834-128-2, copyright 1988. In a word, bright. Vocals have a sibilant quality, with grain between the notes. Not recommended.

3. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Dusty in Memphis....

I think this might be a slightly bright recording. I had one of the earlier 90s CD reissues with bonus cuts; this did not sound too good to me, and even had some digital bleeps(or something similar) on one of the tracks.

A while ago i picked up a vinyl reissue called 'In Memphis...plus' from 1985, which again has bonus cuts; this lists Gary Moore at Polygram for 'Original Re-ordering' :confused: . The tone is similar to the CD, from what i remember; i can't recall who mastered the CD version i had.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. markl

markl Forum Resident

There's a 2CD set that's a cheap European import called The Singles+ and I was pleasantly surprised by sound quality, a little bright, but not bad. Only other Dusty I have is Dusty In Memphis the Rhino version from 1999, which I assume is Inglot & Hersch. This has the usual Rhino sound as I recall, some like, some don't. I would love to hear from anyone who's had the Rhino and this 2002 Mercury version and compared them.

5. J.A.W.

Are there any remastering credits in the booklet?

6. markl

markl Forum Resident

Nope, it's a really cheap package, though, one of those with almost zero info.

7. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Okay, Mark, I'm gonna pick this one up based on your recommendation. Frankly, I'm pretty astounded at just how frequently I'm impressed with some of the imports out there on no-name labels. I tend to favor things slightly on the bright side, anyway.

- Ivan

p.s. I love, love, love Dusty Springfield, by the way. Man, what a sexy voice.

Jarleboy likes this.
  8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

I have both and I prefer the Rhino. It's trebly and a bit thin sounding but the Mercury disc is heavily no-noised. Noise reduction artifacts all over the place. I still think my old Philips disc of DIM is the best one, it sounds more natural to me. I think it was done around the same time as the "Silver Collection" which I also think is quite nice btw.

9. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

Generally,

Dusty's 1960s recordings are certainly not "demo" material. I think it is mostly attributable to her producers and her own preferences in sound. She tended to like a heavily compressed sound, especially on the piano like on "I Close My Eyes and Count To Ten" and "Some Of Your Lovin."

Either of the box sets:

the UK "Simply Dusty" from 2000

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=1471078&cart=243553282

or

the out-of-print US release "Dusty Springfield Anthology" (Mercury), most notably, the "Dusty In Memphis" cuts here have never sounded cleaner.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...art_li_7/102-6952489-2231347?v=glance&s=music

These both offer some of the better mastering of her tracks although you won't get perfection from some of the less than stellar original productions.

The "Classics & Collectibles" is also a good alternative, especially if you like Mono.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...rt_ftr_2/102-6952489-2231347?v=glance&s=music

AVOID the UK issues of "Dusty in Memphis" and "From Dusty With Love" (released as "Brand new Me" in the US). They both sound as if they were mastered from second or third generation masters. The US Rhino editions are much better.

As for the 1970s stuff. We only have the UK editions.

bluemooze, FJC1966 and sunspot42 like this.
  10. J.A.W.

Thanks for the recommendations and the info, David.

The UK box Simply Dusty was remastered by Roger Wake, but who remastered the Dusty Springfield Anthology?

11. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

the anthology was remastered by Gary N Mayo and Chris Herles. A couple of early tracks on this 3 cd anthology should be in mono but are in fact processed fake stereo, so fyi on that.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote (in reference to the cheap 2-disc import, Singles + ):

Got it. Like it. Thanks. :righton:

13. markl

markl Forum Resident

You bet. But, thanks to this thread, I'm now looking for that 3CD set. This website is expensive! :mad: :D

14. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I'm not surprised. I have several The Singles + comp's. Although not perfect, not bad either.

I have the 3 disc "Anthology" and I remember liking it. I haven't played it in awhile. I have the Rhino "Dusty in Memphis" which sounds good, but some of the material is not to my liking. I also have the Dusty Springfield two-fer "I Only Want To Be With You/Dusty" which sounds good too. However, IIRC, "I Only Want To Be With You" is in stereo, via a sync-up. Not a good one either, IMO.

15. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I have the 2002 remasterd CD and the 1990 version on Phonogram/Philips. The earler version sound much better.

The 2002 remaster has been no noised and Dusty's voice suffers for it. The 1990 CD sounds a lot better. I still keep the 2002 remaster for the mono mixes as bonus tracks.

16. J.A.W.

I never heard the 1990 Philips CD, so I can't compare. Maybe I should track it down.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

You know, Mark, you don't have to buy every compilation album by every artist just to report to us which one sounds better! ;)

Forlornicus and balladfan like this.
  18. markl

markl Forum Resident

He he. Nah, if I have an interest in a particular artist, I'm going to want to do a survey of their work to selfishly find the best versions (as they sound to me) so I have them for me alone. What I report back here is just a side-effect of all of my personal "quests". I do hope to make myself "useful" to others in the process, though. :edthumbs:

Jarleboy, balladfan and bluemooze like this.
  19. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

I don't know how easy it is to find, but if you see it, grab it!

I love the packaging for the 2002 remaster. My copy comes with an outer cardboard sleeve (though I've seen them since without the sleeve. The booklet includes the original album notes, eassys by Elvis Costello, Jerry Wexler (co-producer), Arif Mardin (co-producer) and Tom Dowd (co producer).

There are also notes on the mastering by Gary Moore, mastering engineer. The 2002 issue used CEDAR noise reduction (too aggresively in my view). Inerestingly, the 1990 CD was also "cleaned up" to some degree, according to Moore's notes. The mono mixes were supplied on digital tape from Rhino/Atlantic.

The original tapes used Dolby A, from a picture of the tape box with the 2002 remaster. Surprising that the album could be so hissy.

20. No one has mentioned this, but Stay Awhile-I Only Want To Be With You/Dusty on Taragon sounds absolutely phenomenal, and blows away the same titles on the Mercury Dusty Springfield Anthology.

I was very disappointed in the 2002 remaster of Dusty In Memphis. Way too much NR, like you lost all of your upper end hearing. The 1999 Rhino remaster is my favorite for its sound (plenty o' hiss, but your ears adjust real fast) and the bonus tracks. I also have the original Rhino remaster.

My three favorite Dusty Springfield cds (out of the 15 I own) would have to be:

1. Dusty In Memphis (Rhino 1999)
    2. Stay Awhile-I Only Want To Be With You/Dusty (Taragon 1997)
    3. Brand New Me (Rhino OOP)

skisdlimit and Folknik like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hi Steve!, and welcome to the forum...

I find this interesting, as that release was mastered from vinyl.

22. I was wondering if it had been remixed. The Taragon fulfillment site says of this album, "24 tracks, 23 in TRUE STEREO, many for the first time ever!" In any case, the album is a sonic delight.

I found that quite a few of the tracks on the Mercury Anthology suffered by comparison with the album versions, but perhaps it's a case of single mono mixes vs. stereo album tracks.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

REMIXED?...it's from vinyl, I guess they neglected to inform such on the website...I called Elliot at Taragon when this was first released, and told him I really wasn't happy with the sound...I'm still not.

24. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The credits explicitly state: "All tracks made from the original 1, 2, 3 and 4 track master tapes." What makes you so sure it was taken from vinyl?

25. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Relying solely on my own ears I would say that there's no way in the world it was mastered from vinyl! Michael, are you sure you've got the right disc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.