Dusty Springfield remasters: opinions, recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by J.A.W., Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I have it, and had the same reaction to the sound quality. I certainly didn't find it to be substantially better than the UK remasters of her early records that came out in the late '90s or whenever.

2. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

It sounds like the SACD of Dusty In Memphis is a winner...

3. I would simply recommend focusing on which compilations include the songs you want. There are no true, stand-out gems with possibly the exception of the new SACD.

4. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I own "Dusty In Memphis" and "Dusty In London" the Rhino 1999 ones. "A Very Finer Love" CD, "the Best Of Dusty Springfield 20th century Millennium" cheap collection. "Where Am I Going" and "Ev'rything Coming Up Dusty" 1998 Mercury versions which I think sound amazing but I've never heard the vinyls.

I've toyed with the idea of getting that "Magic Of" huge box set but wonder if it worth the price.

I just saw this on Amazon, never seen it before is it worth it? It has mono versions.

http://www.amazon.ca/Classics-Colle...1392496490&sr=8-14&keywords=dusty+springfield

Or is the Complete A-B Sides 1963-1970 better?

5. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The Rhino reissue of Dusty in Memphis has a wealth of killer bonus tracks, enough for the equivalent of another album. Is this edition still in print? If not, it's well worth searching for.

Troystar likes this.
  6. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I love it too, so happy I bought around the time it came out. Bran New Me is impossible to find unless you want to much a lot of $$$$. Been debating just getting a digital version from Itunes.

Ricko and Folknik like this.
  7. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

They're both good. No need to chase the vinyl.

I guess it is if you want the DVDs!

Sound-wise they're about the same. Both have rarities, both have a mix of mono & stereo. The attraction of Complete A & B-sides is the early B's in mono.:)

Except for the 3 bonus tracks (on "Brand New Me") the Deluxe "Dusty In Memphis" does have another album: the unreleased "Faithful" from 1971. It's OOP for a long time, but shows up occasionally. :)

Folknik and Troystar like this.
  8. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

For those interested, I took a chance and bought this from CDJapan. It was relatively cheap (About $21 with shipping). It says in the credits that it's the 1998 remastering by Roger Wake.

9. johnnybrum

johnnybrum Forum Resident

A Brand New Me (1992 Rhino CD) isn't that difficult to find is it? several on ebay.com for well under $20

the one I can never find is See All Her Faces (2002 CD)...I've been after it for years

bluemooze and henryjg like this.
  10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

At this point, I just can't see any reasonable digital choice for Dusty in Memphis except the new hybrid SACD. It's the best mastering and contains three great bonus tracks (same ones as the 1992 Rhino). The HDTracks version is good, but the SACD is noticeably better - better bass, mellower high end, more pleasing all around. Ditto for the 1992 and 1999 Rhinos - too much treble, not enough bass, missing the lush, smooth quality that Kevin Gray's mastering captures on the SACD (and on the 45rpm vinyl release).

There's also the well-regarded 1990 Philips CD, but it's hard to find and reportedly doesn't use the original master tape - easier to just get the SACD, which costs the same or less and sounds better.

And then there are the (European?) Mercury releases, most of which are no-noised.

So get the SACD and be done with it - even if you don't have an SACD player, the redbook layer beats all the other digital versions out there.

SteveS1, bluemooze and sunspot42 like this.
  11. Troystar

Troystar Forum Resident

I have the 1998 remastering by Roger Wake but it's not a SHM-CD but I love the sound.

12. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

13. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

My copy arrived today, the Philips CD is no slouch but the new SACD is different class. A superb disc, don't hesitate.

tmtomh and Remy like this.
  14. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

How's the regular CD layer compared to the SACD layer?

15. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I bought Dusty... Definitely from an Amazon marketplace vendor a few years back and he offered me See All Her Faces as a bonus for half price ($35). I declined, and have been kicking myself ever since. I've never seen another CD copy.

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict Thread Starter

I did a search and found a few copies on the various Amazon sites. Most of them were pretty expensive, but there is a "very good" ("sehr gut") used copy on Amazon Germany for 21 euros plus change (about $29); however, the seller only ships within Germany: http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listi...+springfield+see+all+her+faces&condition=used. Maybe a German board member can help you.

17. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Sounds excellent to me!

sunspot42 likes this.
  18. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

The sound's not all that spectacular.

If you have the Rhino Deluxes of "Dusty In London" & "Dusty In Memphis", "Brand New Me" and Rhino "Love Songs" you can (and should!) comp all the sessions and make it the 22-track double LP it should have originally been. It's one of those rare instancess when more is actually more - adding all the outtakes definitely makes into a really great album! :)

back.JPG

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  19. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

Thanks; I've actually got all the tracks but just wanted to collect the original CD. I do think it's true that while some are better than others, Dusty's catalog for the most part doesn't sound that great.

Ricko likes this.
  20. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

That's right. When you compare her 60's output to what's available from her UK contemporaries and labelmates it's pretty much all appalling. And not getting any better with the continual remasterings and reissues. It's all dumb and clueless.

At least on vinyl there was some warmth to her voice, but digitally it's consistent rehashes of the same tinny tinkerbell mentality that's torture to the ears and just simply wrong. Notions like "the warmth of analog" seem to be completely lost on the slew of people who just don't grasp the fact that some female voices need to be handled with extreme care in the studio.

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

What is the best source for Dusty's "Welcome Home" track?

22. henryjg

henryjg Forum Resident

What are some recommended vinyl releases to seek out?

23. Ricko

Ricko Forum Resident

Gee Henry...good question. The original US were all OK, and UK Philips were all OK up to (but not including) "Dusty Definitely". I particularly like "The Look Of Love" in stereo best, and "Golden Hits" least. Some fake stereo on the US LPs, but it's OK. The US Atlantics are good, and back in the day "Brand New Me" was easy to find and sounds better than "Dusty In Memphis".

I don't know what the market's like these days, but when I was collecting her on vinyl in the 70s & 80s it was really hard finding her 60s stuff in great condition, for a reasonable price.

And of course the other problem was the same as now for a completist: the US vs UK configurations. Even though the vinyl's long gone, I keep thinking I've still got twice as much Dusty as any reasonable person should have. :)

henryjg likes this.
  24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have the "Singles +" compilation and play it casually (not an intense listen). It doesn't make my ears squint, so in my world that is a plus.

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I ordered a copy of the 1999 Rhino "Dusty In Memphis" because of all the bonus tracks from Ebay and it came today. It's starting to get expensive, so I found one for a good price but it was a record club <BMG> copy. I thought, what the heck, it should be the same, plus it's a lot cheaper. Well, I'm very happy now because I had no idea that the BMG copies are in jewel cases, NOT the tri-fold cardboard digi-pak, which I really don't like. I now see the Discogs listing shows this fact, but I never knew it. Wonder if there's a "Dusty In London" BMG version in a jewel case....

http://www.discogs.com/Dusty-Springfield-Dusty-In-Memphis/release/2085959

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=2085959

henryjg and sunspot42 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.