Dvd-a

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobn, Mar 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobn

Bobn New Member Thread Starter

I just read the views expressed regarding the quality of Silverline products which is a great pity because I have just noticed the brand and also the variety of product they are outputting, eg Pentangle etc.

Hence Silverline are 'out the window'

Has anyone come up with a definitive DVD-A list that everyone one should own. I haven'y got many but think the Yes - Freagile disc is fantastic.

Anyone recommend any of the others

Thanks for your help

Bob

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

HOTEL CALIFORNIA
    RUMOURS
    THE NIGHTFLY
    HARVEST
    EVERYTHING MUST GO

Essential albums in amazing surround & 2CH.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unless EMI git's its act together and puts THE BEATLES out on DVD-A the format formally know as DVD-A will cease to exist !

4. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

Some of my favorite DVD-As:

Chicago - "II"
    Chicago - "V"
    Doobie Brothers - "The Captain And Me"
    Sam Phillips - "The Indescribable Wow" (DAD)
    Alan Parsons Project - "I Robot" (HDAD)
    Crosby & Nash - "Another Stoney Evening"

Ed Hurdle
    HeavyDistortion

5. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Queen - The Game (EMI)
    Marvin Gaye Collection (UNIVERSAL)
    The Doors - LA Woman (WEA)
    The Best Of REM (WEA)
    Chicago II (WEA)
    Elv1s (RCA)
    Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra - The Complete Brandenburg Concertos (TACET)
    The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (CAPITOL)

Sometimes I think that DVD-A has the edge on SACD for ultimate clarity.

6. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

DVD-A's totally objective edge on SACD is that it uses the form of digital technology that's been used since the advent of the format. Consequently, people *understand* it far better...which one would think would result in more releases (of course, it also allows the sound to be mucked with, but...).

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Well, Dave, not to contradict you in any way, but really, the big advantage DVd-A has is that it will play in any DVD player.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Thing is, though, that isn't really an "advantage of DVD-A" inasmuch as it's the backwards compatibility effort built in...thus, you could make the case that the CD-player-compatibility of hybrid SACD is just as good. The DVD-V session of a DVD-A disc is as good as the company can make it, but it isn't necessarily a perk of the DVD-A format per se.

What I meant by my PCM comment is that the utilisation of PCM allows DVD-A to be far more versatile than SACD, especially in a hobby-ist sense. Current sound cards and sound applications don't understand SACD, but they certainly do understand high-bitrate PCM, and DVD-A discs are just UDF formatted (by contrast, SACD seems to use a different filesystem architecture), so they're not "alien" to DVD drives on computers. And with the advent of things like Discwelder's DVD-A app...

Interestingly, DVD-A also seems capable of one of the things that always bothered me about the DVD-Video format: it's able to natively understand 16bit/44.1khz audio, allegedly, so you could just author a DVD-A disc with unaltered tracks from CDs and have it play. In other words, you could losslessly shove *boxed sets* onto a disc and be merrily on your way. I think that's awesome, and might be a "killer app" issue for me.*

*Or so I've been led to believe. I'm probably horrible wrong, in which case it's safe to ignore me.

9. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Nobody has mentioned ELP Brain Salad Surgery! I have a DTS RIP from DVD-A that sounded PDGood. If I had DVD-A this would be on my list.

chris

10. RetroSmith

Dave, your post was well said and you are absolutely right.

Doesnt look like the record companies are racing to push Hi Res any more tho. I read all the audio mags, and mention of SACD and DVD-D is not what it was a year ago.

11. thenexte

thenexte Forum Resident

I personally think DVD-A is well-suited for pop music, most of which is maximized in the first place and subject to heavy processing by various PCM tools, with effects that oftentimes exaggerate the low and high end of the frequency spectrum.

For jazz and classical music I by *far* prefer the SACD medium, since DSD technology seems to employ a more "natural" approach in restoring subtle nuances of the original mastertapes (which in most cases are of better quality than pop recordings anyways).
    -wolf

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Au contraire, mikey. I think it's slipped into the mainstream for the audio mags. I was browsing a couple of UK magazines today - they were slower to show an interest in SACD than the US magazines, but it's definitely there now. I'd wager that every audio mag these days "mentions" SACD in every issue.

13. RetroSmith

I have to dissagree, Met. To me, the record compnaies have moved on from pushing Hi Res. I think they are pushing DVd music videos now more than anything.

14. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Mikey is right, the record companies are going wild with the DVD-V format now, just wait.

HOWEVER - this thread again got derailed into a "DVD-A sucks SA-CD rules" deal. All that Bobn wanted to know was what were some good DVD-A titles!

Among those listed, I would also HIGHLY reccommend:

>FLAMING LIPS
    >All Steely Dans and Donald Fagens
    >Everclear
    >Lincoln Park
    >Queen - The Game
    >Tubular Bells 2003

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.