DVD and Blu-ray player help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fishoutofwater, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Fishoutofwater

Fishoutofwater Forum Resident Thread Starter

H i all. I have many CDs which also came with a DVD and as i dont own a player i have never watched them. I dont even know what Blue Ray is but i thought its about time i watched some of these DVDs and if any are in fact Blue Ray i need a player that can play both formats. I dont know where to start and i do not want a "top of the range" model. Just something i can plug into our TV in the bedroom. Can anyone advise me please?

2. barfko

barfko A peccary of destiny, adventure and romance.

I would take a look at either Panasonic or Sony models .
    They seem to get good reviews and starting prices are around £60 (70 Euros) :)

3. RichardG

RichardG Forum Resident

All Bluray players will play DVDs and Blurays, but DVD players will only play DVDs - they won't play blurays.

In terms of the very small cost difference these days, buy a bluray player rather than a DVD player

This sort of thing - https://www.amazon.fr/Panasonic-DMP-BD84-Lecteur-DVD-Port/dp/B01DL0U9A6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=bluray+player&qid=1674747246&rnid=1703605031&s=home-theater&sprefix=bluray+player,aps,82&sr=1-3

Before you purchase, just check what connections your TV will accept - modern, cheaper bluray players usually only come with HDMI, so make sure your TV has an HDMI input - any TV from the last 15 years or so should, but best to check before you buy.

4. Fishoutofwater

Thanks guys i will check the TV etc. Are LG products any good? My local Supermarket has a player for 77 e?

5. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

• CD = music
    • DVD = standard definition video
    • BluRay = high definition video
    • UHD = 4K high definition video
    • CD players play only CDs
    • All DVD players can play CDs as well.
    • All BluRay players can play DVDs and CDs as well.
    • All UHD players can play regular BluRays, DVDs and CDs as well.
    Brandname UHD machines are now 150 - 200 EUR, brandname BluRay machines are below 100 EUR. DVD-only players are on their way out.

If it's an older TV, make sure the player you get has analogue out (SCART and/or RCA). That will enable you to play BluRay or UHD content on an analogue television (not in HD of course). Analogue out is not a given these days, a portion of players have only HDMI out.

TarnishedEars and Barry_NJ like this.
  6. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

It might be good, but also check Panasonic and Sony. They are in a similar price range.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  7. Fishoutofwater

Thanks; just checked the TV and it has an HDMI input so all should be well. I am not looking for a top of the range player, just something that works for evenings when i have a look at all the DVDs that came with various CDs that have never been been seen by me!

anorak2 likes this.
  8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

9. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

If you need analog audio output besides hdmi get the Pioneer BDP-180 (or the 160). They can also play SACD and can be found cheap used. (The 180 has a DSD capable DAC I think)
    Analog out is convenient for hearing the sound through your stereo

10. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

£200 or so, Sony UBP X700. Cheaper ? Panasonic DP UB 150 EB.

11. Do you have a computer, especially a desk top style?
    If yes, your computer may already be capable of playing a Blu-ray disc.

12. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

14. DIYmusic

DIYmusic Forum Resident

My Goodwill store usually has Blu Ray and DVD players for $10-$15 Dollars...............NOT hard to find one for next to nothing today, even with remote and cord

Dirty Bertie likes this.
  15. Fishoutofwater

16. Fishoutofwater

No chance in France!!

DIYmusic likes this.
  17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

18. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

I don't know about desktops, but most laptops only came with DVD burners. For some reason BluRay never made it into the mainstream market there. These days they tend to come without any disk drive.

The Pinhead and Fishoutofwater like this.
  19. anorak2

anorak2 Forum Resident

Unfortunately, not all models are sold in all markets. DP-UB420 appears not to be available in Europe. The cheapest Panasonic UHD models currently here are DP-UB154 for 150 EUR, and DP-UB424 for around 200 EUR.

20. Dirty Bertie

Dirty Bertie Man with golden helmet, drinks water from a faucet

I found my Panasonic blu ray player in hard rubbish on the side of the street! :D Not sure what the situation is with FB marketplace and similar locally to the the OP but at least here you can find such players for close to nothing. I think a lot of people have moved on from disc players and just stream instead.

21. Fishoutofwater

I live in rural France and we are still living in the stone age. I think i will buy the LG model that is in my local supermarket. 76e, so its cheap and i wont be using it daily. I have quite a few CDs that also have DVDs that i have never seen so i thought a Blu Ray might be in order!

The Pinhead and Dirty Bertie like this.
  22. Dhreview16

Bon chance….

23. Fishoutofwater

Cheers. Give my love to London. A great city

24. Dhreview16

I keep meaning to visit La Rochelle sometime. Enjoyed seeing it on the TdF, and family friends in Paris spend part of their time there somewhere outside the town/city.

25. Fishoutofwater

Worth a visit. I live 45mins away. My only advice is dont eat in the tourist restaurants, they dont offer VFM and are just after your money. If you want to you can PM me prior to your visit and we can look at your options. I see you too are a Cyrus fan. Me too