DVD player advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RetroSmith, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967) Thread Starter

Guys, can someone recommend a combo DVD/ DVD-A/ SACD player WITH Progressive Scan? I can spend up to 1,000.

And 3/2 pulldown would be nice also, if any have it.

Thanks VERY much for your input.

Mikey

2. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Well, there is not too many of those

You could take a look at Pioneer DV-47A

3. That model is selling at J & R Music World for $699, by the way!:D

4. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

To clarify: in cost terms, right now you might do better buying a DVD/DVD-A unit, e.g. one of the new Toshibas w/ progressive scan, and a separate CD/SACD player from Sony.

5. RetroSmith

Thanks!!

Thanks guys, for the responses.

I'd rather buy one unit, to be honest, eve if it costs a little more.

I think that Pioneer DV-47A is a real winner. every review on it has been Super.

so, if I can find it in the 600-650 range somewhere, i think its a no brainer.

thanks for your help!!

]Mikey

6. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Odd, but that unit seems to do DVD-A better than SACD. Still, make sure you get a unit that does full bass management and timeing adjustments for SACD and DVD-A and not just for Dolby Digital and DTS. If you give this a few months there will be other good choices, perhaps even units with digital audio outputs.

7. RetroSmith

To Richard

thanks richard, that is a very good point. I understand that the unit does have full bass management, unless I'm wrong.

the other very nice thing about this unit is that DVd picture quality is said to be outstanding.

It *seems* to be a real winner, but as you said, there will be more choices soon, so i may wait as you suggested.

Of course, there is always the APEX 7702!!!!

I wonder what THAt will be like......

Mikey

8. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

I will definitely agree with the first part; there will be more combo units, and their prices should drop very soon. Digital AUDIO outputs? :confused: I don't think there is a DVD player without one.

As for digital VIDEO outputs (if that is what was meant, of course), I am not so sure, also because the proposed content security system does not seem to offer the protection that the studios want to see.

9. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

Execpt for a Marantz SACD player and companion Receiver no SACD player or DVD-A player sport digital audio outputs for the SACD or DVD-A data stream. The industry groups have approved copy protected interconnect standards so such outputs and receiver decoders should start appearing this year. APEX has announced the 7702 with this feature already. As for digital video outputs, the industry is in love with this interconnect since it is the next big quality step when combined with a digital display. Expect to see such outputs soon now that copy protection standards have been adopted for these interconnects. Both should be "common" within 18 months. Then of course you could wait for the HDTV DVD format. But then again, life is short.:p

10. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

As for DVI interface, I hope that is what will happen. One should not forget though that in recent experience the industry (and the studios, primarily) seem to have been more concerned about content protection than quality for the consumer.

More about DVI and HDCP

The source is known for propagating extreme views sometimes, but that particular thread makes a few valid points.

The currently discussed digital copy protection system (HDCP) may not be as secure as the industry would like it to be, more of which here . Obviously I haven't read the whole thing 'cause I'm not a cryptography expert;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.