dvd player suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by japes, May 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japes

japes Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this or the visual arts section was the proper place to post this but here it goes. My father recently injured both legs in an accident and will be spending a lot of time at home recovering. To help him get through this difficult time I wanted to buy him DVD player. He is an avid movie buff so the hardest thing about all of this will be his inability to get out to the movies. My parents have a great 36" JVC TV that is just begging to have a DVD player hooked up to it.

This is my question. What are some of the best entry level DVD players (for $100 or less) on the market right now. Basically, what will give you the best bang for your buck.

Thanks in advance,
    japes

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

3. duff138

duff138 Forum Resident

Wal-Mart sells a pioneer dvd player for $79

4. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I would second that.
    I have heard particularly bad things about brands such as APEX.
    At that price point, I would go with a well known brand from a well known retailer who will back up their warranty. And at that price, I might even be tempted to take one of the extended care warranties. Jeff

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I picked up a Panasonic DVD/VHS unit last week (only $159 at Sam's Club) but haven't cracked it open yet. The ex will need it when she moves out (so I don't lose one of my S-VHS decks and the Pioneer DVL-700 DVD/LD player).

Scouring eBay now for a decent used receiver that might do Dolby Digital...budget is around $120 or so.

She can have the Boston A60's. :)

6. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

Might want to consider a carousel DVD player (if it's in the budget) so that your dad can load up 5 or 6 dvd's and not have to get up to change discs.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Good point, Joe.

8. japes

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am currently debating between the Pioneer-C505 5-disc carousel player that I found at Coconut's of all places for $99 and the JVC XV-N30BK which is at Best Buy for $112.

One of the main reasons I've been considering the JVC because it would match everything else my parents have. That Pioneer though is really tempting. Does anybody have any experiences with these two?

9. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

You wanna ruin their decor for $13? Don't be so cheap!

10. japes

the JVC is a single disc

not as good of a value

I think I'm going with the pioneer :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.