DVD-R recorders - why don't they record cd-r's as well?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RickH, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Since DVD recorders play both DVD's and CD's, then why aren't they made to record on cd-r's in addition to DVD-R? Are there any "universal recorders"?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

They should. Have you tried it yet? And,m if your doesn't there has to be a logical explaination.

For my Lite-On DVD burner with Nero, I have to choose the correct tab, CD or DVD. All of my other software will automatically use it to burn CDs..

3. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I'm assuming you are talking about stand alone DVD-R recorders that you can use like a VCR and not computer ones? All computer DVD-R recorders that I've seen can also record on cd-rs.

4. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

Are you talking standalone DVD recorder or DVD burner for PC\Mac, Rick?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I didn't consider that standalone DVD burners couldn't burn CDs. I am more familiar with computer burners.

It would help, Rick, if you would tell us what you have.

6. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

Standalone burners, such as my Go Video R6740.

7. SVL

SVL Forum Resident

Well, they are primarily designed for video recording using the DVD (MPEG2) standard, and you could only fit a 15-20 minute DVD program onto a regular CD-R... not much use, really. I guess eventually someone will make a DVD recorder that will also be capable of doing DivX (MPEG4) encoding on the fly to CD-R.

For CD quality audio recording, they would need to have a better A/D converter than what is used to record DVD audio tracks, or provide a digital input, which no DVD recorder seems to have today for either audio or video signal (primarily, for reasons of copyright protection).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.