DVDs That are NOT on Blu-ray as of yet?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Dec 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

As a jazz fan two of my favorite movies are not on BD. Someone already mentioned "Round Midnight, but also Bird.

2. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm sure Some Came Running, Blackboard jungle, Stage Fright, Up the Down Staircase, Splendor in the Grass, and Baby Doll will get a blu-ray upgrade by Warner Archives eventually.

Wouldn't be surprised if Criterion has the US blu-ray rights to The Defiant Ones

Roman Holiday , Paper Moon, Ordinary People, King Creole, Bang the Drum Slowly, Paint Your Wagon, and Hud are all lost in Paramount blu-ray hell

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

"The Homecoming" is high on
    my Blu-Ray wish list.
    [​IMG]

4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

*sigh*
    I was happy reading this until the last sentence here...
    I mean Hud looks so great on HD On Demand purchase, it's ready, if you know what I mean. So is Paper Moon (as noted before, released overseas).
    And Roman Holiday and Ordinary People look nowhere near how they should look (on the HD downloads; I've seen what The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter looked like in "HD" on TCM and it was terrible - oh there's another title! (that's only on DVD - and on TCM, before A Patch Of Blue came out on Blu-ray, with outstanding picture quality, the TCM "HD" version was SO awful, I had to turn it off right away)
    (So both via a TV "HD" version looked way worse than the DVDs)

That would be great about The Defiant Ones; that's my number one want.
    Thank you for all the information.

A shame, unreal about Roman Holiday. Paramount...
    and Ordinary People, a movie that some have said saved their lives...and an Oscar-winner....yeah, that's not enough...

Those Warner ones would be nice too.

(Imagine is there was no Sweet Smell of Success on Blu-ray? [I have the Criterion Blu-ray, love the movie]. Really frustrating, these companies, esp. Paramount/Universal)

It's true though with others, you never know, I bought the DVD to the movie The Set-Up and shortly later it came out on Blu-ray...

5. Jimmy B.

Wow!
    I don't know how I missed that (stupid IMDB review, "not even available on DVD" - did I check what year that was written? - and I looked for it and couldn't find it....shoot. I bet I just looked for it on DVD at the time. Well I have the HD download, with closed captioning....it will have to do [I HATE when something like Witness For The Prosecution, with Marlene Dietrich's thick accent, is issued, and no subtitles])
    thank you.

6. Jimmy B.

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

sorry they don't do 4k discs

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

They do 4K restoration though. For example All About Eve

“4K digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray”

9. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

There is a U.S. blu-ray (and dvd) for Come Back To The Five And Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean as well.

I was so happy when this came out. Someone had shown the film to me on VHS in the mid 1980s and I had been wanting to see it again since that time.

10. The secret to getting a region A release is to wait until I’ve purchased the region B. ;)

11. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

fake 4k

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sounds like my experiences too! :)

Regginold31 and wayneklein like this.
  13. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

The Ladykillers [2004]

14. V The Final Battle is released on DVD but there still no BD release but with the recent release on BD of V The Mini Series from Warner Archives that sold quite well I think chances are that The Final Battle will be released on BD.

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

A Summer Story...only on DVD.

16. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I'd like to get V:The Miniseries on BD but I'd first like to know if they're BOD (burned on demand). I don't like them.

I'd also like to have BOD discs marked with a mandatory icon on the cover stating they are "burned on demand". My opinion.

Regginold31 likes this.
  17. Mine is a pressed Blu. The longer you wait the more likely (after their first run) you aregoingto get a MOD.

18. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Thank you. Order placed.

19. You won't regret despite the 1.85:1 framing.

BILLONEEG likes this.
  20. hobbes4444

hobbes4444 Forum Addict

Sleuth starring Sir Michael Caine and Sir Lawrence Olivier

A number of John Sayles films -- Passion Fish, Secret of Roan Inish, Lone Star, Limbo. . .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  21. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Nell, Paper Moon and Hud are all on Blu ray.

22. Jimmy B.

Not in the U.S. or for Region A players, so it doesn't count to me, Region B Blu-rays don't help me in the least.
    (and others await:
    Nell Blu-ray
    Paper Moon Blu-ray
    Hud Blu-ray

Thank goodness that Masters Of Cinema made A Tree Grows In Brooklyn all regions...(there isn't even a U.S. DVD of it - sans an Elia Kazan box set)

23. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

One way you can tell they are not pressed discs is that the case itself is not allowed to have the BluRay logo at the top if it is just a recordable.

For example, here is the BOD version of Charmed Season 2. Note the weird text at the top instead of the official BluRay logo. When this season sold well, they ended up making real BluRays - but this is the BOD version pictured here:
    [​IMG]

24. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

25. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion ha the rights to "The Defiant Ones". Because almost every other major Stanley Kramer film has had a blu-ray release : "On the Beach" from Kino Lorber, "Inherit the Wind" and "Judgment at Nuremberg", first from Twilight Time, and then Kino, "Ship of Fools" and "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" from Columbia, and "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World", from both MGM and Criterion. So you have to wonder why "The Defiant Ones"- probably Kramer's most famous and admired films in many ways, has so far been unreleased on blu-ray in America. And my only speculation is that Criterion has the rights , and will release it...eventually

Jimmy B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.