Dylan / Blonde on Blonde: 'That Thin Wild Mercury Sound' (Daryl Sanders book, Oct. 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song Tom's Tambourine Man

I don't claim to know what any of the revisions will be but I suppose it depends what you class as "moderately substantial or significant".

As we have seen from comments made by Daryl in this thread, he has been making "corrections" to the text since the first post here in October 2018 by @HominyRhodes reported minor factual errors. For example:-

The author's open-minded engagement with the information and evidence provided by others on this thread indicates strongly that amendments will be made to the existing narrative to include minor corrections like this, several more of which were presented by different contributors, notably @Roger Ford.

Indeed, @Daryl Sanders has generously added a lot of background information regarding his extensive research throughout this thread which significantly enhances the content of the book. For example:-

It's doubtful these additional background research notes (so to speak) will be added to the paperback edition - indeed, including them even as footnotes would probably adversely affect the pacey presentation of the book, and the comprehensive Source Notes Appendix makes it clear where and from whom information was obtained - but these freely-given additional snippets of information are exciting for hopeless and helpless "Blonde on Blonde" addicts.

@HominyRhodes, also in his first post, wrote briefly about the 16 June overdub session for "4th Time Around" in which Al Kooper's organ was removed and Kenneth Buttrey's new drum track was recorded. Others have followed up on this here, too. The first edition of the book concluded that this "alleged" session probably didn't happen, but, as Daryl suggested in the WOWD radio interview two days ago (linked above), "new" evidence is compelling enough for him to now concede that the overdub session did take place. So it is likely that the relevant paragraph in Chapter 12 will be re-shaped to reflect this new conclusion.

This would most likely lead on to the question about the release date of the album, mentioned by Daryl in his WOWD interview and also discussed in this thread several times. Sony and other authors have most recently settled on a 20 June release date having previously and variously listed 16 May and "mid-July" as release dates. It would be nigh on impossible to release an album on the Monday following a Thursday overdub session, so the improbability of an "official" 20 June release date will likely be addressed in the new edition.

I think @HominyRhodes (perhaps others) also raised concerns or questions about some concert dates that may have been noted in the book but which didn't happen. Or vice versa. I believe somewhere in the earlier pages of this thread further evidence was found to support or refute these concerns, so I imagine there'll be minor tweaks to the paperback edition to incorporate this evidence.

Without wanting to sound facetious I suspect the hardback edition and the paperback edition will be very much like, say, two variant editions of "Blonde on Blonde" itself: small variations in the mixes with neither edition giving cause for anything but great joy!

Obviously, if the issues mentioned above are dealt with in the paperback then it could be described as "more accurate" because it will have been updated using the additional research carried out by the author since the first edition was published, much like Roger has been updating his "Cutting Edge" essays over on Electric Dylan these last five years as new evidence and information emerges.

2. ducktrapper

ducktrapper Active Member

Just want to say how much I've enjoyed this thread, and how great it is to hear from Daryl and Roger especially. Thanks, @HominyRhodes for getting the ball rolling.

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Thanks! These aren’t huge additions, but probably enough where I’ll want to pick up the paperback. Or possibly the Kindle edition. Either way, looking forward to reading it!

HominyRhodes and Percy Song like this.
  4. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

5. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident Thread Starter

VOJ -- alternate lyric transcription found on Taiwanese LP listed on Th'Bay.

Two favorites: "My Diano" = Madonna, and "Everything's Been Returned Which Was Old" :laugh:
    [​IMG]

6. Percy Song

:laugh: :wave: :love:

HominyRhodes likes this.
  7. Percy Song

On this date, St. Valentine's Day, 54 years ago, an alien walked into Music Row in Nashville and fell in love with The Nashville Cats. Before the sun rose again "Visions of Johanna" was in the can.

[​IMG]

8. Percy Song

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. Percy Song

How great is this YT clip posted recently by The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum? Super-great, is the answer. The first 10 minutes is devoted (more or less) to the "Blonde on Blonde" Nashville sessions.

Henry Strzelecki: "We were a little bit...tipsy"

HominyRhodes and Dok like this.