Dylan / Blonde on Blonde: 'That Thin Wild Mercury Sound' (Daryl Sanders book, Oct. 2018)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HominyRhodes, Oct 15, 2018.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I haven’t had a chance to read my copy of the hardcover yet (I have a young daughter so my reading time is minimal). But if the paperback has some more info about the various mixes, I’m going to order that and read it instead of the hardcover.

Percy Song and Daryl Sanders like this.
  2. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

I turned to my homemade “super deluxe” edition of Blonde on Blonde, which partly comprises excellent vinyl rips of the various stereo and mono mixes that have become available over the years. Therefore, my answer to your question is all of them!

(They are not my rips. Alas, the only vinyl copy I own of the original US mono Blonde on Blonde is in pretty poor shape, and I lack the technology to rip it in any event.)

Percy Song likes this.
  3. brianvargo

brianvargo Senior Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me and for undertaking what was obviously a labor of love.

Daryl Sanders likes this.
  4. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Daryl - would you know if the ebook version currently available is the revised edition? On the Apple Books app, it has the book being updated February 24, 2020. Thanks in advance.

Daryl Sanders likes this.
  5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I tried to upgrade to the revised edition on Kindle but had no luck, for whatever that's worth.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  6. Daryl Sanders

Daryl Sanders Forum Resident

If it was updated February 24 of this year, then it should be the same version as the trade paperback edition.

GetHappy!! likes this.
  7. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

My paperback just arrived. I did a reread of the hardcover fairly recently after getting very into that “Nashville Cats” exhibit compilation. I thought I was going to read one chapter of the book, and ended up reading the whole thing again—and digging it all over again. I have the mono cd of Blonde on Blonde on outside, while I have some ribs slow cooking on the grill. Ready to read the paperback book—while bbq full—all over again tonight!

Percy Song, RiRiIII and Daryl Sanders like this.
  8. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

For those who, for one reason or another, haven't purchased the paperback The Book Depository here in the UK currently has an offer of 40% off list price with free worldwide delivery!

I mean, what are you waiting for?! A great book, great value and, by the way, there are some terrific photos in it, too.

[​IMG]

Link:-

Results for Daryl Sanders | Book Depository

9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Thank you @Percy Song . Been meaning to get this and now duly ordered. :)

Percy Song likes this.
  10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I love this forum but ever so mildly frustrated to miss this, especially when i log in daily AND i follow this thread. The "watch thread" alerts are alas sometimes rather random.

Nevermind, the paperback version remains on my "to buy" list. Will see if Santa brings for me;)

*edit*

some amazon 3rd party sellers have new copies for £12-13 with free delivery so santa's sack will have some space in it, i'll treat myself to the book today:cool:

Electric Sydney and Percy Song like this.
  11. Percy Song

Good sleuthing! Book Depository's 40% discount offer has vanished from its own site but it is still on offer from Book Depository via Amazon UK for £12 delivered which amounts to a 60% discount! o_O Wait another week and they'll be paying you to read it....

(Hopefully, @Daryl Sanders still receives a fair cut.)

12. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Is their anything on the copyright page of the paperback version that would indicate that the copy I recently purchased has the updated material?
    [​IMG]

13. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The number line at the bottom of the page indicates that this is a first impression (i.e. the number 1 is still present). My understanding is that the corrections were first incorporated in this particular edition.

jamesmaya likes this.
  14. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Oh, good! Thanks.

stepeanut likes this.
  15. Percy Song

There is only one paperback edition and it contains the updates so, yes, the revisions to the hardback edition are all in this book. If you want to double check, look at Page 206. It has a footnote about Al Kooper's now-you-hear-it-now-you-don't organ on "4th Time Around"

You'll really enjoy the book, by the way!

The Bard and jamesmaya like this.
  16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

I see it! Thanks.

Percy Song likes this.
  17. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

"New" copy just landed today. Time for a re-read!!

Percy Song and SteveFff like this.
  18. Percy Song

F******k isn't a platform I use, so this news is a couple of weeks old...

Caroline Schwarz talks to @Daryl Sanders about "That Thin Wild Mercury Sound: Dylan, Nashville, And The Making of Blonde on Blonde"

Facebook Groups

Also on the book's FB page, here:-

That Thin, Wild Mercury Sound

Interesting, informative and entertaining. Just like the book.... :)

Richard--W and subtr like this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I will reread the book. Who actually plays on the released Blonde on Blonde version of Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat? Bob gets a credit for lead guitar on the album sleeve but would appear to only play lead at the start of the song. Robbie is the main lead guitar is that correct?

20. Roger Ford

Roger Ford Senior Member

Yes, that's correct.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  21. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

I finally picked up this book from the library. Amazing.

I’m up to “Absolutely Sweet Marie” and just a note: Jason Ringenberg’s group was originally Jason and the Nashville Scorchers — and “Sweet Marie” was not on the original EP many of us bought. That track was added when EMI came along.

Percy Song likes this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I need this...

Amnion likes this.
  23. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

$13 and change for Kindle edition, got it today.

Michael likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

cool, thanks!

Amnion likes this.
  25. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

@Daryl Sanders

I read the book a couple of years ago, and recently bought a copy from my brother in law. Since BOB is in my top 5 all time albums, I enjoyed it immensely. Loved the juxtaposition of this weird skinny hipster dude mixing with the gentlemanly older Nashville cats. As someone who loves reading about how the sausage is made, I devoured it.
    (The book, not the sausage :; ).
    Very well done.

SteveFff and Amnion like this.