Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have all of the previous Dylan Record Store Day titles. They are all available in the secondary market for the original price or less. I would expect the same will be true of this item as well. They are pressing a lot (8000, I believe?). Just don’t buy at inflated prices - based on all past Dylan items, the price should come back down.

SoundDoctor and erowid like this.
  2. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Wasn't the story of More Blood on the Tracks that some tapes were lost? "duplicated from the original disc" (from: Record Store Day 2019: Ten of the best releases ). That sounds like a needle drop to me.
    from Analog Planet: "... only the Minneapolis songs used on the original album were in the vault on multi-track tape. The whereabouts of the others is not currently known—if they still exist."

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  3. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I'll bet they still exist. They're in someone's private collection --someone who really shouldn't have them, perhaps--or they are just misfiled, misplaced or in a box that's mislabeled. We're talking Dylan here--someone who'd already had his trash rummaged through by that point in his career. I doubt the record company would be so careless in handling Dylan tapes. Maybe Dylan himself has them---or his brother.

If they weren't intentionally destroyed, they'll surface eventually--and there will be a thread here devoted to it's anticipated release.

tug_of_war likes this.
  4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The minneapolis tapes were lost, the new york ones were all available. That’s why more blood only has new york tracks on it

obi, crispi and DaK like this.
  5. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up! So the reason for not putting all the "test pressing" mixes on More Blood on the Tracks , is that they probably had the RSD 2019 release in mind?

JoeF. likes this.
  6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I agree. Someone has them though they might be mislabelled having been spooled onto another reel, in an attic or basement somewhere. It was highly suspected that Don DeVito had them, but his daughter works for Columbia so I’d imagine they talked to her.

I don’t think any of the musicians had dubs.

The masters could be with the family of Phil Ramone. Could be with the family of John Hammond. Could be with the family of Bob Dylan.

By the way, it’s been known that these have been missing since the early 1990s, so likely that they never made it either out of the studio or out of the hands of individuals involved in the production.

7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I’m no expert, but haven’t some those New York mixes (we’re talking finished mixes here, not multitracks) appeared on Biograph (1985) and the first Bootleg instalment (1991)?

8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Nope.

9. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Are you sure? To my understanding, You’re a Big Girl Now from Biograph and Tangled Up in Blue from Bootleg Series vol 1-3 are the same versions, that feature on the test pressing. Several other New York sessions takes are on BS vol 1-3 as well, IIRC.

crispi likes this.
  10. teag

teag Forum Resident

Unless they release this after RSD they can kiss my .........

Jimmy B. likes this.
  11. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Wow.

marcb likes this.
  12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Calling @lukpac — he usually knows about these things...

mycroft likes this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I inferred this as well from reading about it. But maybe they were remixed for Biograph and BS I-III ?Incidentally, I love the version of "You're a Big Girl Now" on Biograph.

mycroft likes this.
  14. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Yes. ‘You’re A Big Girl Now’ on Biograph is a mix done in the early 1980s (and inferior imo) and ‘Tangled’ is not the same take as on BS1-3.

15. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

Thx, I stand corrected.
    I managed to find the entry on the test pressing on searchingforagem. The Tangled Up in Blue on the test pressing is take 3, remake 2 from September 19th, 1974. The take on BS vol 1-3 is take 1 from September 16th.

16. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Probably a stupid question, but does anyone think that this will get a wider release or--gasp--be issued on CD?

17. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

No.

JoeF. likes this.
  18. veon

veon Forum Resident

Well I for one hope it does and would buy it in a heartbeat, regardless of the fact I’ll also be buying the RSD version...

Mr. H and JoeF. like this.
  19. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

It should have been included on the previous bootleg series in both large and small format CD releases to begin with!

20. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Mr. H likes this.
  21. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It certainly should have been in the bigger collection, irrespective of the overlapping of takes.

(I mean, if you're going to Frankenstein some tracks...wtf?)

joannenugent, Jimmy B. and Mr. H like this.
  22. CWillman

CWillman Senior Member

Those releases are available on CD, and this likely won't be, so what's the comparison?

23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That is true - they were released on CD also. Are we sure that this won't also follow with a CD release, as this too is being released by Columbia / Legacy? Their previous pattern is a RSD vinyl release followed by a CD. The Brandeis University concert was reissued again on vinyl six years later in 2017 - and there are 30 of those for sale starting at $14. I am only saying that I wouldn't let the fear of missing out force you to pay unrealistic prices. I will also admit that I have succumbed to said fear many times in past RSD campaigns. RSD turns normally selective buyers into opportunists. I often see collectors go into RSD with two things on their list and they will leave a store with six - only because they were afraid that they would miss the opportunity if they didn't buy it 'now'. More often than not, the two they wanted weren't even in the six they bought. The RSD campaign is brilliant.

marcb likes this.
  24. I hope so.It is the only way I’ll be buying one.
    The RSD releases by Bowie and The National in the last 2 years have come out on CD around June/July.
    This year there are RSD releases by Jeff Tweedy,Peter Gabriel,Elton John,REM as well as this I would buy in a heartbeat on CD.

SoundDoctor, Jimmy B. and JoeF. like this.
  25. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

The ONLY reason I think this might come out on CD is that More Blood, More Tracks --unlike all the rest of the Bootleg Series --didn't come out in a 2CD version. There was only the Deluxe and a single CD version--which while excellent, does little more than whet the appetite for more. Perhaps this "test pressing" was originally going to be the second CD of the 2CD set (that never was) until someone said. "Hey RSD is coming up. We need to put something out. Let's hold this back ."
    Also unusual is why the Test Pressing is coming out after More Blood, More Tracks. You would think it would have come before --in order to promote the box set.
    Weird.