Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

2. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Ah, interesting. Can't check my EU copy, as it's still sealed.

3. Further

Further Forum Resident

I am so glad I got in on the replacement offer. I think it was right near the end of the offer, so I feel very fortunate to have noticed this thread in time to get in touch. They were super easy to deal with (didn’t even ask for receipt or any other details except my address) and the one they sent was perfect.

This problem certainly wasn’t good for the flippers!

fishcane likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Me too!

dip my red tater wedges in it!

5. Unseal it. Problem solved.

EU copies are generally fine though.

fishcane and onlyconnect like this.
  6. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I paid a ransom for an EU but it’s flawless. My US was a mess.

MedozK likes this.
  7. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

My US is a mess also.

8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

They need (translate I think they need to because I want it) to release this baby on cd. Its an important addition that deserves more than a special release just on vinyl. One of the rare alternative albums that is just as good a version if not better than the official release

Come on Bob and the boys, get'r done.

ronbow, sennj, Blue Note and 10 others like this.
  9. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

If you contacted the company that produced the US copy, they sent out a repress. That copy was mostly fine.

CBackley and MoonPanda like this.
  10. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Yes my replacement copy is perfect in every way. I think the replacement was pressed in very limited quantities tho so not sure how easy it will be to get one at this point. Worth a shot tho!

CBackley likes this.
  11. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Yeah I missed out on all that. Had no idea they were offering replacements until it was far too late.

MedozK likes this.
  12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I agree on a CD release. Is it available on any streaming services? It should be.

13. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

They were in no way advertising it. I think the majority of people who got non-fill’d had no idea

hi_watt likes this.
  14. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I agree it should be available on streaming services, but frankly, I'm not sure many would stream it. It's more of a historical artifact, and as such, a replica of the test pressing is the only format that makes sense. I don't think that there is anyone that considers this the "go to" version (or maybe I'm wrong there). My personal copy is an EU version and it has issues. It sails smoothly, for the most part except for two or three sudden "zzzzzippppp!" sounds that manage to ruin the listening experience.

If MOFI or one of the audiophile labels had been given this project, with instructions to replicate the original test pressing, and produce 10,000 copies, I think that we would have a release that every Dylan fan would treasure. Instead, we have an item that is more often that not, discussed in terms of "non-fill" and that stands as an example of how a major record label can mess up an ideal Record Store Day item.

Oh well . . . . .

jumpinjulian and dkurtis like this.
  15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Not to be a contrarian but its pretty much my go to version. Have a needledrop of the RSD that I play much more than the official.

Thats probably influenced by the old "New York Sessions" boot. The later gradually took over the official album for me years ago.

I still love the offical album, but the RSD is much more intimate and real experience to me.

16. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone."

Yup, playing my US version now...its flawless. Great sound.
    [​IMG]

AnalogJ, CBackley and mpayan like this.
  17. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, I got mine from a forum member. Wasnt cheap but I didnt want to go through the hassle. One of my favorites so worth it to me.

Sweet setup :cool:

maui jim and TerpStation like this.
  18. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

I didn’t get a replacement either. Can somebody forward me to the right direction to get a replacement at decent cost? Much appreciated

19. MedozK

MedozK Forum Resident

Same for me.

EdColeman likes this.
  20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I can understand it sounding more intimate and certainly, it sounds fresher given that we have been living with Blood on the Tracks for nearly five decades. But, as overplayed as they may have been over the years, the fire and spit of the Minneapolis takes of “Tangled Up In Blue” and “Idiot Wind” seem to make the album come alive. More important perhaps is that at least to me, every single lyrical revision that Dylan made between the New York and Minneapolis versions, is an improvement. Really just underscoring his genius.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cant argue with the lyrical improvement. Or other points you made. But, for me, the RSD and the NYSessions just has a spook about the songs that give them an entirely different more sad feel. Rarely have I heard Dylans vocal inflections more emotionally naked.

DrJ, C6H12O6 and Sean Murdock like this.
  22. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

It's a toss up for me, I like both for different reasons. I do wish that someone like MoFi would release a very high quality vinyl version of the RSD release.

DrJ, Prophetzong, Crispy Rob and 2 others like this.
  23. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

Don’t know why people get hung up on which is “better” — it’s a rare instance where we have both masterpieces.

It should for sure see a wide release; but then, so should the Basement Tapes acetate and that’s not happening either.

24. EdColeman

EdColeman Forum Resident

Same for me two! If someone could give me info on how to get a replacement copy I'd appreciate it.

25. Steve62

Steve62 Vinyl hunter

Sorry for asking if this has already come up in the previous 90 pages, but is this RSD release the same as the old Blood on the Tapes bootleg (one of the best boots of all time)?