Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Whiskeytown86, Feb 23, 2019.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

For me comparing the basement tapes to BOTT is like comparing apples to oranges. I love both though .

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

I was in no way comparing BOTT and the Basement Tapes. I merely noted that the truly exciting RSD release of the original Basement Tapes received relatively little attention.

warewolf95, ronbow and Sean Murdock like this.
  3. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And it should have received less attention. I simply noted.

4. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Ohhhh, ok. It was early and I wasn't properly caffeinated. Good point!

Dirk the Nightfly likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Just a reminder that nonfill was only one of the potential issues. My first lp was almost comically off-center, as posted previously...
    Dylan- Blood on the Tracks - "Test Pressing" version - RSD 2019*

warewolf95 and hi_watt like this.
  6. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I got 2 replacement copies from an outfit in Michigan.
    I still have the name on the box they came in sitting around somewhere in this mass I have accumulated....lol
    Will have to dig it out for all you replacement seekers!!

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. Is non-fill the same thing as the "string of pearls" phenomenon that produces those sccccraaatch pops?

hi_watt likes this.
  8. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

Yeah my copy is a filthy little turd I bought sealed on Ebay. And I do mean filthy. When I opened it up and cleaned it there was tons of dirt/dust on it and full of all sorts of ticks and pops.

warewolf95 likes this.
  9. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

It was Noiseland Industries-- They stopped supplying replacement copies as of 8/1/2019.

- Kevin

warewolf95 and via_atx like this.
  10. Firehead

Firehead Forum Resident

warewolf95 likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

"Noiseland" Industries. That made me snicker. What an apropos name.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yes.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

The "string of pearls" is called "stitching", but that is indeed the common issue with the BOTT TP. Causes a ripping sound that I personally find very jarring.

Non-fill is usually a speckly patch that covers an area of the disc surface, usually near the start or end of the side. Usually causes many light ticks over the affected area.

Different causes, different signatures, but both unwelcome.

FTR, my replacement from Noiseland was excellent, and I'm very thankful to have a good copy of this, as I really like the New York tracks at their proper speed, and the alternates are great. I really hope they either repress this or put it out in digital form, so everyone can enjoy it.

warewolf95 and Barnyard Symphony like this.
  14. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

And it’s Minnesota, not Michigan. :)

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Thanks for the explanation. I've heard non-fill on Marvin Gaye's first album reissue but I won't complain because it's at the end of one side and that tick only last for a five or six revolutions. (I can't afford an original pressing of that album and even if I did Motown/Tamla had its own issues.) I also heard non-fill on my Stooges first album John Cale mix from Vinyl Me Please (I normally love this label so much!). I don't like non-fill but it's not as bad as the string of pearls in my opinion. The former is irritating; the latter devastating.

16. Dirk the Nightfly

Dirk the Nightfly Forum Resident

Hi NewWarden, it is Take 1 in both cases (thus a different version of "Quinn The Eskimo" than the one on BIOGRAPH). Many greetings Dirk

NewWarden likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Are you saying that the 1968 demo LP was a fold-down, or just that fold-downs from the CD box sound close enough? For me, the Basement Tape LP being a vintage 1968 artifact is part of what makes it important; saying it's "essentially" buried in the CDs is kinda like saying that the NYT BOTT is "essentially" in the More Blood box (except for a couple of renegade organ overdubs, of course). I still say both "test pressing" LPs are significant enough to warrant inclusion in their respective boxes as bonus CDs; if Bob Inc. is going to make me do the work, I'd rather do a good needledrop of the mono Basement Tape LP and "master" it to match the box's CDs (which I did). I'd have done the same with the BOTT test pressing, but like many others, my copy was riddled with non-fill (and I missed the deadline for exchange). Oh well, life goes on...

ronbow and superstar19 like this.
  18. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

How many listen to this test pressing RSD release more than More Blood, More Tracks?

19. Easy-E

Easy-E Forum Resident

Me. :righton:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Me.

tug_of_war, AnalogJ and Easy-E like this.
  21. Segasonic91

Segasonic91 Forum Resident

Hahaha! Oh to have had a crystal ball nack then, eh?

22. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

The RSD version is my favourite by far.

Callahan and CBackley like this.
  23. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I listen to the test pressing way more than More Blood, More Tracks

tug_of_war likes this.
  24. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Me as well. But I do/did jump around on the box set to listen to certain takes.

CBackley likes this.
  25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Me too. There's something magical about how the tracks sound on the test pressing. Something Phil Ramone did I guess, but it's great to have both.

tug_of_war, Fishoutofwater and Easy-E like this.