Dylan - MoFi 45 rpm "Love and Theft"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeremy B., Sep 12, 2020.

1. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Mine is on its way!!!!

Echoes Myron and Dennis Metz like this.
  2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ooh, close. Mine’s #589.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have #137. I hate that it has severe seam splits.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. rblz17

rblz17 Forum Resident

I ordered my copy directly from the MoFI website. Shipping cost ~$40 USD :yikes: and it arrived with a nice bottom seam split :doh:

Here are a couple of 60s comparisons to the Music On Vinyl (MOV) LP. Files are FLAC 24/96 with source: Technics 1210GR>Audio Technica OC9MLII>Primare R32>Apogee Duet.

To my ears it sounds like some effort was spent mastering the MoFI. The MOV sounds like it was cut from whatever hires files Sony sent them without any major mastering moves applied other than whatever MOV typically do when they cut digital files to vinyl. The MoFI also sounds a little more transparent to the source (no I haven't heard the master), especially with Dylan's voice though this could be entirely due to mastering.

Mississippi MoFI 45RPM
    Mississippi MOV 33RPM

Po' Boy MoFI 45RPM
    Po' Boy MOV 33RPM

[​IMG]

Echoes Myron likes this.
  5. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

You guys think they are probably pressing these about 500 at a time?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  6. Don P.

Don P. Forum Resident

I have two copies of Love & Theft on cd, the 2001 original in the deluxe version and the 2003 reissue and I have to say that the MoFi surpasses both of them by quite a distance. My copy of L&T vinyl is flat, quiet, and sounds phenomenal. Every time I think about giving up on new records something like this shows up on my doorstep and reminds me why I love records. And I just sent back a MoFi version of Miles Davis’ ESP due to warping before L&T was delivered. I have had issues with MMJ, Analogue Production, and MoFi pressings, however the good ones will keep me coming back for more.

7. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Is that why these are hard to find right now? Have they done this in the past? I don't recall seeing a MOFI release become unavailable so quickly.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Probably several factors:

Pressing plant back logged due to being shut down for three months so slows things down. Maybe shorter mini runs?

People fiending for these things more because of lockdown (I think I spotted a bearded guy looking out his window, eyes darting around and nibbling on the T Rex mofi cover.)

More limited (3000)

9. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

mpayan likes this.
  10. sunspot

sunspot Forum Resident

My 45rpm arrived the other day. All great until disc 2, Side 1 - Scratch accross the first track and leading into the second resulting in Pops/Clicks throughout. I'll stick to my original I think.

11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Lots of people seem to have this seam split problem with MoFi albums, but I have a bunch of the Dylan titles and have never experienced this issue.

12. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sorry you got a defect. Sucks.

That aside, can you say how the sound quality compares to your original?

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

My Amazon.ca order got cancelled. Cancelled!

Thanks a lot. I’ve been waiting for it for almost two months. I’ve not bothered investigating buying it anywhere else in that time. Bang...now they’re all gone.

I like Amazon...but sometimes I don’t.

Revolver likes this.
  14. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Same here, extremely annoying.

Chemguy likes this.
  15. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I would like to know too!

mpayan likes this.
  16. djbabyroo

djbabyroo Well-Known Member

I can say between the two (MoFi vs. Original Pressing) the OG press wins my miles.

The MoFi is way better than MOV, which I ditched due to it being so flat compared to the OG and the OG is still the winner imo with a larger sound stage, everything is bigger sounding and more rewarding to listen to. If you love this album, put your money on the original if you can find a copy in your price range. After comparing this recent pressing with the original, I have decided to digitize it cause it sounds so damn good![​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
  17. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Thanks for the review! Very interesting because the OG had a digital source and the Mofi used the original tape, as far as I know.

18. That might make sense considering the MFSL is clearly better than the OG.

The MFSL SACD is also clearly better than the OG.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I cant recall if you posted youve compared the OG LP with the MFSL LPs or not. Have you?

20. Yes, hence why on my gear I stated the MFSL sounds the best to date - that's in either format.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Ok, thanks.

SteveM likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Wish someone would drop some sample comparisons of the OG and the MFSL.

Revolver and SteveM like this.
  23. djbabyroo

I am digitizing a couple off of the MoFi and I will post a comparison between the two (Mofi vs. C2 85975 aka OG Press - 86078 Runout Matrix)

To be clear, the Mofi is great, if there is no other option, go with it, no disappointment, on my set up, and to my ears, the OG press is more pleasing to listen to. I agree pure analog chain is the way to go, but if I am just dropping needle on it, the OG has my vote.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    mpayan likes this.
  24. NicoRock

NicoRock Forum Resident

I read somewhere in the forum that the US OG was cut from tape. Does anyone know for sure?

25. djbabyroo

Mississippi (OG Press) <- Cut by RJ (Ray Janos at Sterling Sound)
    Mississippi (MoFi)
    Wav File for both
    [​IMG]
    Mofi vinyl sounds exactly like the Mofi DSD, spaced out and everything crystal, but not as punchy because this is an audiophile pressing meant for the discerning ear (all of us here, am I right?). OG Press sounds more like the 24 Bit HD flac version that is out there on HDTracks etc. and just sounds fuller and more "band playing in the same room" like. Definitely more bass presence in the OG. Both are extremely good and unique in their own merits. No losers here, all winners. I am keeping my MoFi copy for sure, it is great, again, when I am chillin' and vibing, I will pull out the OG press. Cheers fam and happy hunting!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Revolver and Fractured like this.