Dylan - Shot of Love

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by duggan, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andythiing

andythiing Forum Resident

My sister bought this LP for me when it was released in 1981 - think I listened to it a few times and decided as a 13 year old I was not "into" Dylan (not really knowing anything else about him) - and went back to my ACDC and Pink Floyd LP's.

It took a long time to get over the aversion to Dylan that arose from this albumn (which probably showed my lack of musical education at the time) and even though I now count myself as a fan of his work I still have not played Shot Of Love scince 1981!!!!!

Tonight that will change - Im going to find my copy from 1981 (its in my collection still) and give it a spin - thanks for the motivation with this thread!

masswriter likes this.
  2. duggan

duggan Senior Member Thread Starter

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did after returning from a similar period of absence. As I suggestion, you might care to digitise your lp and then add :

Groom's still waiting at the alter as track 6
    Angelina as track 7
    Carribean wind as track 8
    Need a woman as track 9
    You changed my life as track 10

and then continue with the original albu with Dead man, dead man as track 11

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do now.

3. citadel

citadel New Member

Love the title track, 'Heart Of Mine', 'Property Of Jesus', 'Groom Still Waiting At The Altar' and 'Every Grain Of Sand'.
    I can't even remember how any of the other songs go.

4. jostber

jostber Forum Resident

That live version of "Heart Of Mine" on the Biograph box is a pretty great one. A favorite.

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

But it is missing everything I like about this studio track, great sound/mix, toms, reggae guitar.

Other than that, yeah it's fine.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

This album is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine. I actually LIKE "Lenny Bruce," too!

I've burned a few Dylan comps over the years, and whenever there has been a little lull in things, all I need to do is throw in one of the rocking-er numbers from this album and things start to cook again. The music is certainly un-polished, but it's full of energy and I love how Bob was just spewing his vocal deliveries around this time, like he's preaching to a bunch of people who didn't want to listen.

Matt

CBackley and masswriter like this.
  7. andythiing

andythiing Forum Resident

I did enjoy listening again after nearly 20 years - side two better than sie one - LP came across as a little 'bright" not sure if this is due to being an aussie pressing or symptomatic of the whole LP mastering - still worth trying a few more spins - not up to osme of his works but better than I remembered - loved last track side two the best!

masswriter likes this.
  8. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Agree 100% How anyone could leave out 2 songs of the caliber that most songwriters literally wait their whole life to be 1/2 as inspired - "Angelina" & the original "Caribbean Wind" is totally beyond me (or Clinton Heylin for that matter!) FYI - I'd replace LB & DM, DM with "Magic" & "Lets Keep It Between Us"

masswriter likes this.
  9. Every Grain Of Sand is probably my favourite Dylan song. I love Shot Of Love, Property Of Jesus, Heart Of Mine, The Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar and especially Lenny Bruce as well. Dylan has done better, but I love this album a lot more than most people do.

masswriter likes this.
  10. duggan

It is strange, as is much in Dylan world, that although his Bobness cites this as one of his favorite later albums that he followed it up with such a contrasting sound in his next two outings.

masswriter likes this.
  11. duggan

Which is pesumably why Dylan chose this version rather than one of the many other more "perfect" takes of this track that he recorded.

masswriter likes this.
  12. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with you about Down In The Groove. It's actually a pretty good album, foreshadowing Time Out Of Mind on songs like Rank Strangers and Ninety Miles an Hour Down a Dead End Street. The only dodgy studio album he released in the 80s was Knocked Out Loaded, and even that has Brownsville Girl on it.

masswriter likes this.
  13. frank010

frank010 Well-Known Member

Clinton Heylin - strange, strange man. In Behind The Shades he slagged off Time Out Of Mind.

masswriter likes this.
  14. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not played SoL in literally decades.....I remember it as sounding impossibly rough, but with some good stuff if you could get past the (lack of) production.

'Lenny Bruce' is a song I've always been fond of..not least because of the (deliberate?) lyrical faux pas about the taxi ride with Mr. Bruce seeming 'like it took a couple of months'. Wow...was he really that tedious, Bob? :D

I'll spring to the defence of Watered Down Love: it's one of Dylan's great unknown put-down songs.

For the final album in the so-called 'Jesus trilogy', it contains a lot of very accessible/secular material. And, oh yes, Every Grain Of Sand....

stewedandkeefed and masswriter like this.
  15. kevinfree

kevinfree Senior Member

"Shot of Love" was the first Dylan album I ever bought (WNEW-FM used to play "Trouble" and a couple of other tracks when the LP was new). I bought the CD (as well as a bunch of other post-1980 Dylan CDs) at Princeton Record Exchange today for $2.99 and $4.99 each. I could spend hours there!

masswriter likes this.
  16. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Man I love this record. Keep the alternate versions coming. Where would you put Yonder Comes Sin?

masswriter likes this.
  17. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

I find it to be a decent album. "Every Grain Of Sand" is a great song. The rest is pretty average.

masswriter likes this.
  18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Man I love this record. Keep the alternate versions coming.

Speaking of keeping 'em coming — I'd love to see legit releases of some of the amazing "field recordings" from this period one o' these years.

The concert I saw on the SOL tour in October '81 just might be my favorite of the nearly 50 Bob shows I've seen since '74.

masswriter likes this.
  19. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Where can one find these two tracks?

20. "The Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3"

21. This is the Dylan album that MFSL needs to release as a SACD. It was to be a SACD from Sony until they pulled the plug on the Dylan SACDs.

masswriter likes this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Man, you said it.

masswriter likes this.
  23. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Groom's Still Waiting At The Altar is amazing, and it's even more amazing to be aware of such crime that happened in the first pressing of the LP: the song had been discarded!

masswriter likes this.
  24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It was the B-side of the "Heart Of Mine" single, so it was available at the time of the album's release.

masswriter likes this.
  25. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

What I meant was that, in my opinion, it belonged to the LP, as it sounds like a pivotal track for the album. One of the best.

rstamberg, duggan and masswriter like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.