Dylan’s “bad” albums: worth getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

"Bounce wiggle, bounce wiggle / shaking all them bangs out"

willwin and SoundDoctor like this.
  2. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I love Self Portrait, but Dylan only has a couple of keepers to my ears. It doesn't have a similar flavor, even if the songs were [recorded semi-acoustic and then] overdubbed during the same Bob Johnston sessions.

I agree. I prefer World Gone Wrong by some distance. Dylan's guitar work has a wonderful feel. It's a darker, more serious album. It has a great cover too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Man at C&A, DTK, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  3. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I cannot conceive of a universe where World Gone Wrong is considered a "bad" album.

Spencer R, Jimmy B., Pussycat and 5 others like this.
  4. willwin

willwin Forum Resident

The Mad Hatter :)

Guy E likes this.
  5. Etherpitch65

Etherpitch65 Forum Resident

Of these listed,I think Shot of Love and Under the Red Sky are clearly the best

6. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Most of them I bought and discarded.

World Gone Wrong is sublime, Bob digging into the obscure blues and folk diamonds that sustained and revived his own compositions starting in the late 90s.

Under the Red Sky, on the other hand, is my guilty pleasure. Yes, it’s got Wiggle Wiggle, but I return to it every so often because there are tiny pleasures throughout.

SoundDoctor and DTK like this.
  7. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

If you come across the soundtrack for the movie Wonder Boys pick it up.

asdf35 likes this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You and me, pal. Very enjoyable album.

Jimmy B. and humpf like this.
  9. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

• Saved
    • Shot of Love
    • Empire Burlesque
    • Down in the Groove
    • Under the Red Sky
    • World Gone Wrong
    These are not simply the ones to get out of his "bad" albums, they're actually GOOD albums, imo.

Saved, of course, is part of the more overtly religious albums Dylan has recorded, but putting that aside for the moment, it's just a wonderfully recorded album. Everyone is in top form. There's an argument that's made that the live performances were better, which I won't go into. Even if the live performances are "better", that doesn't take anything away from this studio effort, imo.

Shot of Love is just magnificent. It contains some brilliantly aggressive Dylan (Trouble), but also some good heartfelt ballads (Every Grain of Sand). I really enjoy the journey of this album from start to finish. It sounds rather raw, and suffers none for that.

Empire Burlesque - well what can one say? It suffers for it's production, which timestamps it. That said, every single track is simple brilliant. The ballads are the highlight here for me, but you also get some epics numbers, an acoustic classic, and a rocker or two. Forget the production, allow the songs in. Some of the ballads on here are up there with Blood on the Tracks for me.

Down in the Groove is justly castigated. The issue here is the opposite of Shot of Love. The journey of this album from start to finish is a bumpy road. As soon as you settle into something it veers off in a whole other direction. It totally feels like someone found a load of disparate tracks and glued them together for an album. It's short, and it over before it's started (almost). But I can't help love the poor thing. While the songs don't tell a story as such, they're still mostly good. I think I love this because it's so damn odd. I play it quite regularly, and you never get used to it's odd presence.

Under a Red Sky just plain sounds fantastic. Man, I know Dylan wasn't thrilled with the "all-star" nature of the recording sessions, but this sounds scintillating, energetic, and exciting from start to end. I just love how this thing plays out, it's a lot of fun.

World Gone Wrong? Yeah. I don't see how anyone can love early Dylan, and not love this. So enough said.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  10. [QUOTE="Vaughan")

World Gone Wrong? Yeah. I don't see how anyone can love early Dylan, and not love this. So enough said.[/QUOTE]

I can. His vocals ruin it for me. His voice was totally shot by this point.

DTK likes this.
  11. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

I'm sorery but I have to disagreee with the "worst of his career" - I LOVE World Gone Wrong!!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  12. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I can. His vocals ruin it for me. His voice was totally shot by this point.[/QUOTE]

Hm, sounds just like Dylan to me. :D

SoundDoctor likes this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My heart sank when I saw it listed. I've never heard a single human being describe it as "bad" until now. It's one of his absolute best.

14. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

So - are you saying “This album is rubbish but I like it”? (FWIW I think it is rubbish - haven’t listened to it all the way through for years)

15. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ack! WORLD GONE WRONG does not to deserve to be on that list -- at all. That and its companion, GOOD AS I BEEN TO YOU, marked some sort of rebirth that led to a late career renaissance.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Hm, sounds just like Dylan to me. :D[/QUOTE]
    The quality of the vocals is a valid argument. For anyone who can't take Dylan's shot voice, which seemed to appear in 1989 or so.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  17. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Yeah, let me clarify - sort of. Subjectively, I can see all the faults, warts, and all. It's bad from the cover image to the way the tracks and sequenced to it's B-Grade, languid, performances. I know all this, I truly do.

But then when I play it, and as I say, I play it reasonably often, I enjoy it. It's so ad-hoc I can't really get to hate it, it's just slightly bonkers. A so-so track will play out, and then the next track will rock you back on your heels. I guess my brain is saying: Something's not right here. But my heart is saying, "Hey, this sounds pretty cool!"

It also works better on CD due to its short running time, imo.

So yeah, it's not great. But I love it. In England we call this The Marmite Effect. :D

18. musicaner

musicaner Forum Resident

this thread is way wrong all those albums are great.

19. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

The albums I have underlined are by no means bad.

In fact, of your list I would say there are only two - Knocked Out Loaded and Down In The Groove - that should probably be avoided, and even those have their defenders. Silvio on DITG is a good tex-mex style rocker and a lot of people like Brownsville Girl on KOL (though I, personally, don't).

Empire Burlesque features some strong songs matched to truly horrible 80s production.

Saved is Slow Train Coming part 2 - less engaging than the first album of the trilogy but not bad at all.

Shot Of Love is Dylan's best album of the 80s from a purely songwriting point of view, and it contains arguably his finest ever song. For that reason alone, it is essential listening.

It's a long time since I last heard UTRS and I can't remember much about it and I'm not sure I've evert heard Dylan (aka, 'Columbia's Revenge') at all.

World Gone Wrong is an OK folk covers album. If you like his debut album, you'll probably like WGW.

Pat Garrett....is an excellent largely instrumental album. Dylan is not always 'about the words.'

beatlesfan9091 likes this.
  20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

There's some great song-by-song threads on these lesser appreciated albums. I'd highly recommend using the search function to take a look as there was a lot of interesting commentary.

21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Of the ones I've seen listed here:

Saved. I've always loved this album. It's my favorite of the trilogy. Gospel at its rawest.

Shot of Love. I've never liked the title track until participating in the song by song thread. That exercise helped boost the album for me (and the song).

Dylan. It's okay. Compared to Self Portrait, it's a masterpiece. :D

Self Portrait. Horrible.

Knocked Out Loaded. I like five out of the eight songs: You Wanna Ramble, Precious Memories, Brownsville Girl, Got My Mind Made Up, Under Your Spell. I don't like the other three tracks.

The Sinatra Stuff. One listen was enough. Am indifferent.

22. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Glad to find another Triplicate fan :)

Tim

Pussycat likes this.
  23. tages

tages Senior Member

SAVED is a beautiful, powerful statement of humble bliss featuring passionate vocals and great chord changes. It knocked me sideways and had a hand in changing my life for the better. I can’t listen to it and not be moved.

Only thing I would change is to end the album with “Blessed Is The Name” and leave “Are You Ready” off for a B-side.

He was more “poetic” in SLOW TRAIN COMING and more unsure in SHOT OF LOVE which are probably more interesting to people from an artistic point but the sheer joy of SAVED is where I like to visit most often.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. .

Well of these..
    World Gone Wrong is a GREAT album.
    Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid is nice.
    Shot of Love has its moments.
    Empire Burlesque suffers from production, unfortunately.
    Knocked Down Loaded and Down In The Groove are overly trashed but they do have their moments also.
    Under The Red Sky is a lot better than most people will give it credit for, IMO.
    Shadows In The Night is one of the two good Sinatra albums by him for me, along with Triplicate - and it's probably the best one to start with of those.

But by all means,
    World Gone Wrong.

25. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

I can. His vocals ruin it for me. His voice was totally shot by this point.[/QUOTE]

That's like saying you don't really like creamed filling when you're almost done with the bag of Oreos.

SoundDoctor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.