Dylan’s “bad” albums: worth getting?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by beatlesfan9091, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm surprised that Self Portrait is not listed.

2. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The list was basically all of the non-live, non-archival Dylan albums I don’t own. I put “bad” (in quotations) in the title because my impression is that none of the albums I listed are typically found on “best Dylan albums” lists. I already have albums like Self Portrait and Christmas in the Heart so I didn’t list those.

3. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Continuing my goal of listening to these on Apple Music before buying a physical copy...

Dylan - Wow. How does this have the reputation of being Dylan's worst album? This is great. No, it's nothing groundbreaking like Blood on the Tracks or the electric trilogy, but the songs are all great. This makes me want to revisit Self Portrait and see what I missed, seeing as I love this and Another Self Portrait. Hearing how happy Dylan was with his family in the late 60s makes Blood On The Tracks all the more heartbreaking, as well.

4. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Woah, OP, who ever said World Gone Wrong was one of his bad albums?! :bigeek:

Pussycat and SoundDoctor like this.
  5. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Shot Of Love
    Empire Burlesque
    and
    World Gone Wrong...

...are by no means, "bad". In fact, they're quite good in their own right.

I've even come to appreciate this over the years for what it is...

[​IMG]

Also, "Down In The Groove" contains one of Dylan's best 80's songs, "Silvio".

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Do you "wiggle wiggle wiggle like a bowl of soup" every time you listen to it?:D

7. johnny 99

[​IMG]

This is a nice album (and Dylan's singing on it is heartfelt and wonderful)
    Yes, it's "Sinatra" covers, but Bob makes them his own. "Fallen Angels" is more of the same but the content is a bit more "upbeat".
    The 'definitive' Sinatra statement is the lovely and expansive "Triplicate", which I played a lot at night over a drink when it came out.

Regandron, Pussycat and SoundDoctor like this.
  8. johnny 99

I actually laugh remembering when Bob played that song at Massey Hall in 1992; I couldn't believe it! (it rocked!):laugh:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  9. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

My take:

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid Yes
    Dylan (1973) No, unless you're hardcore
    Saved Yes
    Shot of Love Yes
    Empire Burlesque Ye-es, it has good songs but the production makes it less fun to listen to
    Knocked Out Loaded Not unless you're really hardcore, but get Brownsville Girl somehow in your head a few times
    Down in the Groove Probably not but Sylvio is great
    Under the Red Sky No
    World Gone Wrong Yes, who told you this is bad?!
    Shadows in the Night No
    Fallen Angels No

SteveM and beatlesfan9091 like this.
  10. johnny 99

Yes!
    "Things Have Changed" is one of the great Dylan songs of the 2000's!

bzfgt likes this.
  11. johnny 99

If you took the best tracks from "Under the Red Sky" and Bob's tracks from "The Traveling Wilburys Vol 3" and sequenced them properly (and unified the sound), you'd have a damn good album!

Regandron, DTK and dylankicks like this.
  12. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

At the risk of repeating what others may have said, but I've heard them all many times.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid -- underrated acoustic-based gem.
    Dylan (1973) -- love "Lily of the West," the rest is so-so.
    Saved -- all of these songs have more passion in live performance. Better to pick up the BS that focuses on this period.
    Shot of Love -- pretty solid as is but could have been killer with better song choices and a little more care.
    Empire Burlesque -- production sucks but there are some great songs here.
    Knocked Out Loaded -- one of his weakest, but does have "Brownsville Girl" and "Got My Mind Made Up."
    Down in the Groove -- Side 2 is pretty nice
    Under the Red Sky -- Like about half of it
    World Gone Wrong -- add me to the list of those who love it. Sounds great on vinyl!
    Shadows in the Night -- can be very enjoyable to the open-minded listener, especially late at night.
    Fallen Angels -- see the above

alchemy, CBackley and bzfgt like this.
  13. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Just finished listening to a few of these albums that I wasn't as familiar with. None of them are bad albums. It might not be your thing, but they are all good. Listening to Dylan 1973 now. How did this one escape me? I think it sounds great.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

It's such a good start to the album. You're immediately set back on your heels because the lyrics seem ridiculous, but it's upbeat and driving, and Bob sounds like he's having fun.

15. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid
    Dylan (1973)
    Saved
    Shot of Love
    Empire Burlesque
    World Gone Wrong
    Shadows in the Night

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Dylan has no bad albums in my opinion.

17. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Bumping this thread and just wanted to mention both Knocked Out Loaded and Down in the Groove have been in rotation for the last few days and while I certainly understand the disdain and general lower-tier stance most fans have of these releases, I've done a revisit of both of these albums and obviously there are some true diamonds in the rough such as "Brownsville Girl" and "Silvio", other tunes do have a decent groove or feel to them such as "You Wanna Ramble", "Had a Dream About You, Baby", "Got My Mind Made Up" and "Let's Stick Together".

So my question to some is, have you found yourself revisiting these albums and do you have a different view of them with the passing of time? Compared to what was in between these, to a lesser degree, Empire Burlesque, but specifically, Infidels and Oh Mercy, there is no doubt as to how these are poor efforts in comparison, but still, Dylan's scheme behind the multiple players and different styles of songs cut as well as the philosophy of seemingly throwing a tracklist together that might not always jive made for a head scratching moment for fans. Still, I find some merit in these albums even if they're not favorably looked upon...

dylankicks, alchemy, Zeki and 2 others like this.
  18. bzfgt

The one album that leaves me completely baffled is Under the Red Sky. I don't know if it's bad, but I never got anything out of it...

EDIT: I guess I posted further up the page, I forgot...also I don't remember what my post means, anyway

Zeki likes this.
  19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

"Mary Ann" from Dylan is one of my favorite Dylan songs ever. I do not know why.

DmitriKaramazov and oldjollymon like this.
  20. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

Ah, all good. I think Under the Red Sky is a bit underrated, but I do think it is roped in with the aforementioned mid-late 80's albums I just mentioned. I think the idea of "throwing stuff together" as if it were in a pot of stew or soup is an interesting concept but hit and miss is essentially hit and miss and these albums represent that, but I love rediscovering these titles to justify my original impressions on them. Some songs I give a little more slack to than others like "Ugliest Girl in the World" and "They Killed Him"(with this one the kid chorus feature is what baffles the most), but others like "Ninety Miles an Hour(Down a Dead End Street)" and "Driftin Too Far From Shore" are cutting room floor discards. I can't get over the drum sound(and arrangement/performance) captured from Anton Fig on "Shore", it's a complete disservice to his talents as a drummer and percussionist. I still don't understand why that was considered acceptable for release. But, I'm not Bob, so there ya go....

bzfgt likes this.
  21. bzfgt

"They Killed Him" is one I've never been able to abide. I don't remember the drum sound except not liking it on any of those tracks! But a lot of that stuff is listenable on some level.

It's not like UTRS strikes me as totally terrible, just confusingly hard to grasp...I'm not sure what's happening on it! It doesn't seem like anything intelligible...

22. i learned a long time ago that even his bad albums have interesting moments, some more than others, all of which depends on your taste. I don't regret owning them, and enjoy pulling them out from time to time.

and i think the gospel stuff is absolutely brilliant, but hey - i only discovered Dylan in about 1986.

dylankicks, alchemy, mark ab and 2 others like this.
  23. bzfgt

Yeah I love the gospel stuff, I think every one of those albums I like

24. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I appreciate all the albums on the list, except maybe Knocked Out Loaded. Easily his weirdest, most lazy album. But it does include "Brownsville Girl" which is worth hearing. I recently listened to the Saved CD after only owning it on LP and liked it a lot more than I remembered.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Every album has at least one song that makes it worth owning, and "Brownsville Girl" is why we have Knocked out Loaded.

alchemy and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.