Dylan's "George Jackson"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamesmaya, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member Thread Starter

I consider myself to be a reasonably devoted Dylan fan, but I've never heard this tune, released as a single in 1971 (follow up to "Watching the River Flow"). It made the Top 40 but I don't recall the record getting any airplay. Also, it hasn't shown up on any of the Dylan anthologies or collections that I'm aware of. Am I gonna have to track down the 45? If I don't, am I missing anything? I know what the song is about, but is the music any good?

Jim W.

2. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Try finding the 3 CD Japanese Masterpieces comp. It's the only official release that it appears on. However it may be easier to find the 45 than the disc these days.

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

4. jamesmaya

Thanks for the link, Magic. The Dylan pic used for the MASTERPIECES cover seems vaguely familiar. A forum member's avatar? Also, I notice that the "George Jackson" single found on MASTERPIECES is identified as the "Big band version" which presumably means that there's a non-big band version of this song out there somewhere (?) Good thing I'm not a Dylan completist!

Jim W.

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

More than one version? Geez, I have the 45 and have not wanted to play it in 30 years. I didn't know there was more than one version....Man, too weird.

6. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yes...that looks right. Here's a link to another page on that site that shows an acoustic "single" version on the Hard To Find boot.

http://theband.hiof.no/albums/boot_hard_to_find_vol_1.html

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

Masterpieces is/was also available here in Oz quite cheaply.

Be warned, from memory the sound quality on that track is terrible.

8. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

And lastly this piece of info:

"George Jackson - there were two different versions of this song on the single released in 1971. This was the "big band" version (the "big band" supposedly consisted of Leon Russell and a couple of other musicians plus backup singers). As noted previously, this song is highly distorted on this album (Masterpieces)."

And the distortion warning backs up Peter's memory.

:)

9. jamesmaya

Well, I'm just guessing that there's more than one version; one of our resident Dylanologists can surely set the record straight. As regards my question "Is the music any good"?, well, I guess if it's been 30 years since you last gave the record a spin, and probably another 30 if you hadn't been reminded of the tune....

Jim W.

10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Side two is the acoustic version. I haven't got my TT up and running at the moment, though, so I can't listen to it (in fact, I haven't heard it since it came out, guess I wasn't that enthused with it, initially).

11. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

The other way to get "George Jackson" is by ordering a custom Dylan CD from Sony:

http://custommixcd.com/dylan/

And just to add to the confusion, the website describes it as the acoustic B-side, but what they'll actually send you is the "big band" A-side. (Or at least that's what they were sending people a few months back.)

12. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

Where you can get "George Jackson"

Jim:

At bobdylan.com, you can order a custom-mix CD to include "George Jackson" (big band version) and 11 other tracks for $15. You can select from dozens of album tracks and other rarities such as "Rita May," "Highlands" (live), and a really neat alternate studio version of "I Threw It All Away." You get to pick one of four great Bob photos for cover art and program the order of the 12 tracks you select (with the running order printed on the CD). It really is a terrific offering. I ordered mine on a Friday and received it the following Monday. And the sound is superb. It comes in a jewel case. The site identifies "George Jackson" as the solo acoustic version, but what you get is the so-called "big band" version.

Here's the link:

http://www.custommixcd.com/dylan/main.html

John

13. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I have the UK release of this single. Over here the acoustic version (solo with guitar and harmonica in a Freewheelin' style) was the A side, and the big band version (Leon Russell, Kenny Buttrey & two backing singers, stylistically somewhere between Nashville Skyline and Self Portrait) was the B side. Everywhere else in the world seemed to get the single with the big band version as the A side. The single is not distorted.

I much prefer the acoustic version. It always just sounded so much more angry, sincere and true than the rather bizarre 'sugar coated' big band version. As the subject matter was 'political' and the song contains the word '****' it was totally ignored by the radio stations at the time. In fact I have never ever heard the song played anywhere apart from on my stereo!

14. GregY

GregY New Member

I did the Custom Mix CD thing a few months ago when it first was available. I don't recall George Jackson being available right off the bat (or I would have put it on the CD) so they must've added it later.

The CD isn't bad, but it's basically just an official CD-R with artwork.

15. Richard Feirstein

Richard Feirstein New Member

The initial release of the 45 sounds great. The Japanese promo CD Mr D's Collection #3 sounds great. The CD-R cut from Bob's web sit sounds great. Every other incarnation is a classic example of why people like Steve Hoffman are essential if we want to get the sound right. Masterpieces (Vinyl) is very very poor in the sound department.

Richard.

16. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

I think George Jackson is a great song, definitely worth seeking out.

Sometimes I think this whole world
    Is one big prison yard.
    Some of us are prisoners
    The rest of us are guards.
    Lord, Lord,
    They cut George Jackson down.
    Lord, Lord,
    They laid him in the ground.

17. jamesmaya

Thanks to all for your comments/suggestions.

Jim W.

18. JWB

JWB New Member

Yes, the single has two different versions...acoustic and band.

The acoutsic version is far better, IMO. There is a decent needle drop of it on one of those "Genuine Bootleg Series" boxes.

19. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Although a Hot 100 entry, "George Jackson"--either version--got more play, IIRC, at FM stations, where the political implicatons of the story weren't as nettlesome as was the case with AM. Still, not a very commercial record, but deserving of a legit CD release for both versions.

ED:cool:

20. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I have this comp, and the whole three records sounds terrible! :mad:

Rickchick likes this.
  21. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Guys,

I just got around to ordering my copy earlier this week. It arrived yesterday, and it does include the acoustic "George Jackson" rather than the "big band" version -- just my luck, since I was really hoping for an upgrade of the big band version from the MASTERPIECES version!

Jay

22. mal content

mal content Guest

I think it's a worthwhile song... stumbled across the 45 years ago... although where they thought a single with "never took **** from no-one" was gonna go is a bit puzzling. Did they bother to make a censored promo for radio? There's a promo up on Ebay right now, so probably yes.

23. Matt Ellers

Matt Ellers Senior Member

I have Masterpieces, and I always felt the song, "****" and all, was a rather contrived run through of what me done to perfection with Hurricane. Now Wathching The River Flow I always felt was great, being able to be creative about your creative passion drying up; "What's the matter with me? I don't have much to say"

That Sony Custom Mix CD is a really cool idea, particularly when Dylan has so many non album tracks. If you love the Desire album/era, you must, MUST, MUST get Rita May. Exactly the same sound as the album.

24. JWB

JWB New Member

Were either side of this single ever released on CD? Which version is on "Masterpieces"? I have the acoustic version on a bootleg and it sounds very clean. I was wondering if it was cloned from an official CD.

25. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

One of the versions - I can't remember which one because I believe it is mismarked - was or is still available at Sony as a track selection in making a custom Dylan disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.