Dylan's vocal on Lay Lady Lay

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RickH, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts Thread Starter

I've never really thought about this before, but was listening to "Lay Lady Lay" yesterday and took notice that Bob's vocal on this sounds quite unlike the typical Bob Dylan vocal delivery in that he's actually singing without the emphasizing words typical in his other classics. He almost sounds like someone else and made me think why didn't he deliver vocals like that on more songs.

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Wasn't there some story at the time that he had quit smoking just before the sessions, hence the "new" voice?

My question is: what happened to it afterward?

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

He sang like that on the "Nashville Skyline" album. It was a short-lived phase, perhaps influenced by the country flavor of his songs at the time. But it's Bob Dylan, so nobody really knows.

4. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

prob my fav dylan recording

5. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

I love how Dylan sang this on Before the Flood. Amazing.

6. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

You may find more of that delivery on 'Self Portrait' listen to the song Let It Be Me or others from when he was still recording in Nashville.

7. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The "new voice" continued somewhat into the next album as well, the classic masterpiece "Self Portrait". ;)

Seriously, I did love Dylan's voice on the "Nashville Skyline" LP, & wish he had done more in that style.

8. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

My fave on there was The Boxer, where the "new" Dylan duets with the "old" Dylan.

9. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I like his voice on Nashville Skyline but I believe the "quit smoking" story as much as I'd believe Bob Dylan was Santa Claus.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

11. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Agreed. Just another chapter in "Dylanology."

12. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I, for one, am so very glad and thankful that he never used that voice again. I consider it a blessing from on high.

Dlae

13. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night

It's Bob's Kermit the Frog period.

14. JuhaS

JuhaS Forum Resident

According to Dylan's friends in the early years (of his career) that sound was already there in some of the home recordings made in 1960. So it really was just another one of his many voices.

15. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

Maybe because it probably hurt him to sing that low-it's definitly not in his normal range-that's probably why he doesn't sing like that anymore.

16. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I thought he was kind of "trying it on" and decided not to continue with it.

17. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

The throaty thing was trendy then...I think he heard "Get Back" or maybe "Lady Madonna" and decided he'd give it a go...

18. wave

wave Forum Resident

Same here. "Not Dark Yet" kind of has the same vocal quality to me, albeit rougher, which is probably I always liked that one, too.

19. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

During the Basement Tapes (summer/fall 1967) period, he used the "Nashville Skyline" voice in exactly the same way on a recording that he did with The Band "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean". This was two years prior to Nashville Skyline!

20. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Yes, there are tapes from before his first album where he uses this voice on a few songs. I always thought the quitting smoking excuse was BS because the change Was so drastic. He had to be purposely singing a different way.

21. ashulman

ashulman Forum Resident

Dylan used a different voice on EVERY album. In that case the difference is striking, but if you go back to the first album and listen to everything through Nashville Skyline, you will hear subtle but noticeable differences in attack, intonation, stressing of syllables, etc. There's no question in my mind he did this on purpose, though lord knows what purpose that might be.

22. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

23. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I always heard it had something to do with the motorcycle accident.

24. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Accident was in 1966, we don't hear him change fully to the voice until '69.

25. Giant Hogweed

Giant Hogweed Senior Member

I read that he caught a cold on purpose prior to recording. Personally I prefer it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.