Dynaco PAS4?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by -=Rudy=-, Jul 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

I was just putzing around online and came across a Dynaco PAS4, which is a tubed preamp. What I found interesting is that it's of 1990s vintage.

My question--anyone know if this is an all-new design, or is it still based on the PAS2/3 circuitry?

2. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

You might wanna pass on that - I think there were a lotta reliability problems with that particular beast. Find a used PAS 3-X fulla Telefunkens and have fun thataway...

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

Hi Indy--I'm not looking to buy one, just curious about the circuitry. (I'd rather get a PAS3X anyway, to be honest. ;) ) IOW, a modern redux of the PAS2/3, or just a new design cashing in on Dynaco's reputation?

4. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Not the same beast - I think it had problems with crummy tubes/reliability issues. I remember that the manufacturer was selling reconditioned ones for awhile, then stopped production (Pandor Corporation or something like that)...

5. Evan

Evan Senior Member

I currently have one in storage. Have not heard it in a year. When I got it, I had to replace the tubes because they were cheap, crummy Chinese tubes. I replaced them with Telefunken's and BOY!! what a difference. Not to bad of a Pre-Amp. Some people really like them, but I really want a Grover Pre-Amp with Phono stage. Unfortunately, I can not afford it right now :shake:

6. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Rudy - you should borrow Evan's for awhile - it's not good to let tubed stuff sit too long...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.